Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacBidouille has received reports that Panther will be made available in its final form at Jobs' Keynote at Apple Expo on September 16th, 2003.

This correlates with an old report from eWeek back in April, 2003:

Now that Apple Computer Inc. has let the cat halfway out of the bag about the next major revision to Mac OS X, sources report that the "Panther" release will reach end users in mid-September.

According to sources familiar with the forthcoming revisions to the Unix-based OS, Apple will freeze development on new features in May and finalize enhancements to the user interface in July.

serpicolugnut

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2001
Atlanta, GA
Don't buy it...

If September was the date in mind, Jobs would have said so at WWDC. He didn't. MOF, he stated "before the end of the year", which means sometime in December.

The part about Panther being feature frozen in May seems inaccurate as well, since what was demoed at WWDC seemed like it was missing some key features for a major release.

I'd love to be wrong and have it available in Sept., but I seriously doubt it.

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
Very Exciting News!

All I can say is YAY! Ya got to wonder though...
They've made OSX so inovative, what could they
possibly do in the next version after Panther?

msassman

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2002
Indiana
Up To date

Well, at least the purchasers of the New Powermac G5s will be eligable for the Mac OS Up To Date program :)

I can't wait!!

MacMarino

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Panther

Well thats great. Hopefully it comes out then instead of at the end of the year. I hope there are great improvements to iChat 2 for the final version. I can wait to try it all out!

Macmarino:D

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
I certainly hope so! Can't wait! I'm still hoping they include appearance themes....

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Re: Very Exciting News!

Originally posted by Sonofhaig
All I can say is YAY! Ya got to wonder though...
They've made OSX so inovative, what could they
possibly do in the next version after Panther?

More snappiness™.
Better versions of new things announced for Longhorn.

AppleMatt

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
The sooner it comes out the better. I want a new PBook and would prefer if it came with 10.3 pre installed, saving me the extra in having to purchase it off the shelf.

Hopefully before the new college year starts as well.
A new 15" Alubook with 10.3 mmm...

lilpig8

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2003
St. Louis
Probably December

September would be great but I also think that Jobs would have said that Pather would be released in September, at the WWDC.
Either way I will be buying myself a copy and the sooner the better.

kansast

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Have to wonder

I would have to count myself among those who believe that September would be too early. Don't get wrong, I wish it was ready today!
But on the other hand, seems like MacBidouille had some pretty good calls lately ?? Only time will tell.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
I seriously doubt that Panther will be delivered in September. Mostly because I think that if that were going to be the case, Apple would have said so at WWDC and the G5s wouldn't ship until Panther was ready. Why make 10.2.7 production quality if 10.3 will be ready to go by then?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
MacDoobie says September so you know that's wrong. Kinda like them saying the G5's were boxed up and ready to ship for WWDC right. Hey where's the "Rolling on the floor laughing my arse off" smiley when I need it.

Timelord03

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
I think Jobs was playing safe by saying "by the end of the year". That means it could be delivered in September/October, no later than December 31. If things fall behind, he gave Apple programmers a nice cushion to get everything up to par.

Remeber 10.1 beta was giving out at WWDC in 2001 and the final was haned out at Seybold Seminar that September. The same could happen here, except Seybold is a couple of weeks ealier this year and Paris Expo has the better date this time.

I don't expect many more features to be added, if any do.

The real question is will the 64-bit version be ready at the same time? And do G5 owners get a free upgrade to it when it ships?

alandail

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
There's not a chance it's shipping in september. There's just still too much work to get done and tested to ship that soon. It hasn't even been seeded to all developers yet, but rather only those who attended WWDC.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
According to some reports from WWDC and a comment made by Phil Schiller G5 owners will get a free update for Panther. There will be an update card in the box. This is standard procedure for Apple.

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Re: Don't buy it...

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
If September was the date in mind, Jobs would have said so at WWDC. He didn't. MOF, he stated "before the end of the year", which means sometime in December.

The part about Panther being feature frozen in May seems inaccurate as well, since what was demoed at WWDC seemed like it was missing some key features for a major release.

I'd love to be wrong and have it available in Sept., but I seriously doubt it.

You know how Stevie said 3.0GHz for the G5 by WWDC next year? Since he's always one for the wow factor, what do you bet that they have new G5's by next MWSF, and either international iTMS or Windows (urrgh) iTMS (OR BOTH!! not likely. . .) along with Panther for the Apple Expo?

Then I looked at my post and said to myself: Hey, since the 3.0 GHz isn't a new computer or anything. . .just an upgrade, it will probably happen between MWSF and the next WWDC.

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
WAAA

Originally posted by Timelord03
I don't expect many more features to be added, if any do.

The real question is will the 64-bit version be ready at the same time? And do G5 owners get a free upgrade to it when it ships?

The only reason I'm buying 10.3 is because it has Exposé. . .

and it's a new OS.

But that's beside the point, why would Apple give G5 owners free upgrades? They wouldn't. I'm 100% sure.

They won't.

I'm pessimistic today.

But they still won't.

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Originally posted by Rincewind42
I seriously doubt that Panther will be delivered in September. Mostly because I think that if that were going to be the case, Apple would have said so at WWDC and the G5s wouldn't ship until Panther was ready. Why make 10.2.7 production quality if 10.3 will be ready to go by then?

Why would Apple have said so in the first place? At MWSF did they tell you that they were making G5's and to expect them at the next WWDC? Did they tell you at the Thanksgiving Sale that shortly new PowerBooks would be announced? If not, why tell you about Panther?

Seriously?

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Originally posted by nuckinfutz
MacDoobie says September so you know that's wrong. Kinda like them saying the G5's were boxed up and ready to ship for WWDC right. Hey where's the "Rolling on the floor laughing my arse off" smiley when I need it.

Okay, so MacBidouille didn't get everything right about the WWDC, but they do have some good contacts, and most of the interesting, pertinent (and damn it, exciting) information preceding WWDC came from either them or from Thinksecret.

When you've finished "Rolling on the floor laughing my arse off", why not set up your own rumours site, if you think you can do better :rolleyes:

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Re: Re: Very Exciting News!

Originally posted by AppleMatt
More snappiness™.
Better versions of new things announced for Longhorn.

AppleMatt

What is Longhorn?

This is pretty stupid, there was this whole debate a few months ago and I remember arguing with a bunch of people. . .

And now I've forgotten what it is.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by Rincewind42

Perhaps 10.2.7 also contains bug fixes/improvements to 10.2.6, so it will eventually be released to everyone (like 10.2.3 was even though that was thought to just include PowerBook support)

AppleMatt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.