Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
Pardons if I'm posting a repeat thread. I did a couple of searches online for a such thread with no luck. And I have a pet peeve about going about finding something without knowing where it is.

The boot panel is the one with the metal Apple logo and the words "Mac OS X" immediately underneath it, as well as the progress bar. It appears after the initial startup screen with the gray apple on light gray.

Where is the panel file located?

Also, I installed a theme, called Shinobi, on my machine. (Implication: Compatible with Panther) The background smoothened pinstripes are replaced with a much darker set of grays (almost black), and the progress bar doesn't look different than the standard large Aqua progress bar. How can the Shinobi theme take over the boot panel?

PensDevil

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2003
PA
The file you are looking for is "BootPanel.pdf" and is found at /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemStarter/QuartzDisplay.bundle/Resources

Note that QuartzDisplay is not a folder (hence the .bundle), so you need to ctrl-click it and "show package contents" to be able to look inside and then find the Resources folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.