dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Yeah!

Anyone try Panther on an iBook? Jaguar runs decent on my G3 500 mhz, but it's still way slower than OS 9. I used 9 for the first time in a few months and couldn't get over how much faster everything was.

No biggee. I'll be shelling out for a G5 dualie soon. I just want to make sure I don't completely abandon my iBook, my baby.

freaky57

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2003
Michigan
Free Panther with G5?

Hope we get a free version of panther with a G5 purchase...maybe a coupon or something. heck I wouldn't even mind paying a 20 dollar thing like they did with OS 10.1

mmmbop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
London
I was hesitant about buying Jaguar three months after purchasing an iMac, but with what I know is packed into Panther I am completely convinced that it's worth the money.

I've still got my coupons though, just in case!

MARK

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by dongmin
Yeah!

Anyone try Panther on an iBook? Jaguar runs decent on my G3 500 mhz, but it's still way slower than OS 9. I used 9 for the first time in a few months and couldn't get over how much faster everything was.

No biggee. I'll be shelling out for a G5 dualie soon. I just want to make sure I don't completely abandon my iBook, my baby.

Panther feels significantly faster on my iBook 800 (640Mb RAM). Apps open faster, switching between apps is very fast and general UI responsivness is very good. Menu draw is very fast. Expose runs very well (Quartz Extreme is enabled). The new Preview is amazing. Any PDF opens in close to zero time and you can scroll smoothly through.

I have also noticed far better speed over SMB mounts (from a Windows machine).

All in all a great update!

henryblackman

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by dongmin
Yeah!

I've used it on my G3 700 and it is very much faster, but possibly because of improvements to Quartz Extreme.

The GUI is the most improved, it's much more responsive etc, but that's because much of it is being pushed through QE where in 10.2 it wasn't. Your mileage on a non-QE iBook may vary.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
This will make a great birthday present to me. As much as I like Jaguar, especially compared to Windows, Panther looks to be even better from what I've seen. I haven't ran any of the Panther builds. I can't wait.

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
my credit card is ready!!!

i have absolutely no dout that panther will be worth the money (good marketing so far apple:)

about those speed-encreases - it sounds very good - hope to get some pepper for my ibook 800 (640mb ram) and mostly for my g4 dual 450 (1.75gb ram).
hmmm... dual 450 ... that sounds sooo old!!!

after purchasing panther a powermac g5 is next!
.a

CompUSAMacNerd

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
I got to play with Panther for a bit and it is amazing. :) Tho', I don't see too many incredible differences between that and Jaguar, at least outside of Expose. Then again, it was being ran off an iBook with 900 G3 on it. I do like the simple new comestics in the finder and what not. But, would I pay 130 bucks for it when it comes out? No. I'll keep my Jaguar thank you very much. :>

Maybe OS/11 when it comes out. hehe. :)

jZilla

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
London
The target audience by far is the G5 owning crew - who have been dicked about no end.

No voucher/discount will really be a slap in the much.

here's hoping for _something_ back from Apple.

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
Paris is shaping up to be quite an event

My guesses for announcements?

Powerbooks updated this week, before Apple Expo, so some review of that
More crowing about the G5 ("Kneel! Kneel before Zod, errr, the G5!")
Panther.
And the "Just one more thing" ?

iTMS Europe

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
Originally posted by CompUSAMacNerd
I do like the simple new comestics in the finder and what not. But, would I pay 130 bucks for it when it comes out? No. I'll keep my Jaguar thank you very much. :>

Maybe OS/11 when it comes out. hehe. :)

$130 bucks for Expose and the font management by themselves is worth it to me.

henryblackman

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by jZilla
The target audience by far is the G5 owning crew - who have been dicked about no end.

No voucher/discount will really be a slap in the much.

here's hoping for _something_ back from Apple.

I agree that Apple should provide an upgrade, for free, of Panther, for all people that purchased a Mac since the annoucement.

I don't think there should be anything special for G5 buyers though. Apple is a company and trying to make a profit. The G5 is advertised to come with 10.2.7, and when it's purchased, or ordered, you enter a contract to buy what is advertised.

This is exactly why Apple don't make premature annoucements (unlike other companies who have other things to gain with premature annoucements that become later and later). People stop buying stuff when they know something new is coming. With a small market share they can't afford that!

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by henryblackman
The GUI is the most improved, it's much more responsive etc, but that's because much of it is being pushed through QE where in 10.2 it wasn't. Your mileage on a non-QE iBook may vary.

I didn't know the UI was all QE now. I think I'll fire up Panther and have a poke around. Does that include the dock? If you look back in threads on this site you'll see people saying they experienced bigger speed increases on older hardware rather than newer, I can't verify this as the two machines with Panther are QE anyway.

I just want four things to greatly improve;

- nVidia graphics drivers (and of course ATi, but they've never been as bad as nVidia's)
- OpenGL > currently shocking in Panther
- Graphics, that's everything, Quartz subsystem etc etc
- Remove OS 9 code from QuickTime (and anywhere else it may be hiding)

CompUSAMacNerd,
It's not just prettier, there's a lot of under the hood improvements as-well, take a read of the linked articles for examples. Couple that with the improved performance of apps on existing hardware, I'm sold.

AppleMatt

restiffbard

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Virginia
panther on ibook

just one more confirm that Panther (beta 7B49) runs like a dream on an ibook (800 640 RAM)

The PDF Preview is so fast that you can't time it with a stop watch. Finder Searches are instantaneous. Believe the hype. Panther is, as the homies say, the shizzle.

I was just hoping for a mid September release. Sniff.

bartje

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2002
Panther is absolutely worth the money !

This is really what a good OS has to be.

There are a lot 'small" improvements, for example, the possibility to zip your files is build in, so no more extra app for that. Idem for faxing…

I'm going to Steve"s keynote in Paris. Hope we get Panther for free :D

esheep2001

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by henryblackman
I agree that Apple should provide an upgrade, for free, of Panther, for all people that purchased a Mac since the annoucement.

I don't think there should be anything special for G5 buyers though. Apple is a company and trying to make a profit. The G5 is advertised to come with 10.2.7, and when it's purchased, or ordered, you enter a contract to buy what is advertised.

Sorry, which announcement do you mean? I thought that Panther and G5 were announced pretty much at the same time so you're saying only non-G5 purchasers should get an upgrade? That's not very fair is it?

After delaying G5 orders beyond the advertised shipping dates, breaking your so called contract (which doesn't actually exist until the credit card is charged BTW), and therefore reducing the benefit of pre-ordering, I think Apple should give something back.

After all, it's the pre-orders that make the books look so good and new products successful.

e.

henryblackman

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by AppleMatt
I didn't know the UI was all QE now. I think I'll fire up Panther and have a poke around. Does that include the dock? If you look back in threads on this site you'll see people saying they experienced bigger speed increases on older hardware rather than newer, I can't verify this as the two machines with Panther are QE anyway.

I don't know if it's all QE, but I feel Apple have leveraged QE to do more things... they might as well, it is faster where it's possible to use.

QE will have a great effect where the CPU isn't brilliant but the Graphics Sub-system is up to QE. Those with fast CPUs will likely not notice a great deal of difference. Benchmarking finds my iMac 800 (17") with Panther to be up to par with a dual 1Ghz with Jag. Not bad, no matter how they've done.

I just want four things to greatly improve;

- nVidia graphics drivers (and of course ATi, but they've never been as bad as nVidia's)
- OpenGL > currently shocking in Panther
- Graphics, that's everything, Quartz subsystem etc etc
- Remove OS 9 code from QuickTime (and anywhere else it may be hiding)

I agree with OpenGL. It seems to be getting slower, first through the 10.2.3 to 10.2.6, and now in Panther.

Lastly, Quicktime. Have Apple forgotten about it? As far as I can see, the player is very different in 10.3 seeds. At least in terms of the options in Movie Properties (I can no longer turn on High Quality); and it appears to be more responsive. However this may just be the player. I seem to remember better support for Quicktime in Cocoa APIs in Panther, but I may have just made that up.

I'd like a Finder that really is multi-threaded. I can't bear having to wait with a spinning ball when browsing my iDisk (remotely). I know this probably comes down to WebDav, but I see it a lot when the spinning ball appears and that's that. Multi-tasking OS my arse.

Other than that, I'm really happy with Panther, things appear to be getting better. Now I'd love IBMs new compiler to make an appearance with compilation, get some more speed out of it, or is that going to happen with 10.4 (hey, it's faster again and worth the $129).

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
this sounds great. and this will stop people from asking will i get a free copy of panther. now we can point them to this address and say wait till then.

iJon

henryblackman

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by esheep2001
Sorry, which announcement do you mean?

The "annoucement" of Panther. Or maybe that's "preview". Whatever, it's the same thing. They've announced it will be available before year end after all.

I thought that Panther and G5 were announced pretty much at the same time so you're saying only non-G5 purchasers should get an upgrade? That's not very fair is it?

Actually I said that all Mac buyers should get a free upgrade to Panther if they bought a system since the "annoucement". Regardless of whether it was a G5 or a G4.

My point was why should it have to give anything away specifically for G5 buyers?

After delaying G5 orders beyond the advertised shipping dates, breaking your so called contract (which doesn't actually exist until the credit card is charged BTW).

Actually, legally, a contract is indeed entered into at the point of ordering. It however cannot be changed once payment is taken (but can be before). The delivery dates are "expected", if you read the small print of the purchase contract it says Apple can change the delivery date and it is not a guarenteed date.

Apple have never said you get Panther for free, so they have no requirement to do so. I however think they *should* since the G5 was announced after Panther. I'm just saying it shouldn't be limited to G5 buyers.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
the announcment day for panther has not come yet. they have told us that panther is in existence and will come before the end of the year. the announcment day is when steve tells everyeone when the exact day panther will ship. and from that day on if you buy a mac or jaguar you will recieve a copy of panther for 20 dollars, covering shipping and handling.

iJon

jamesatzones

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Seattle
Will this finally be the end of OS9?

The switch to OS X has been an overall rough road for most Mac users. Apple has been successful in switching users to X from 9; primarily the consumers were the first to change slowly followed by the professionals who make their living via Apple and their own creative talent. Now that Quark 6 is out, the reasons for most professionals not to change are slowly diminishing. With Apple now offering little support for 9 and making most new machines non-9 bootable, the coffin is soon to be sealed. This upgrade is worth every cent Apple charges for it, I'll gladly buy several copies just to send out to my larger clients to show the difference!

Bring on Panther! In my mind this is the biggest Apple announcement since that of the iMac, even overshadowing that of the awesome G5.

Long live Apple and Panther!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.