MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
eWeek reports on Apple's next major Mac OS X upgrade -- Panther.

...sources said Panther will include significant new GUI features.

eWeek reports a mid-September date for the release of the next major revision of Mac OS X. eWeek, however, also reports on speculation that Panther may be the first 64-bit revision of Mac OS X. As a result, they make the leap that new hardware releases (presumably PowerMacs) would arrive at the same time.

MacOSRumors chimes in with Panther rumors -- and claims that Apple's music download service may not arrive until Panther does... reporting on tight integration between Panther and other Apple mediated purchases, including software, movies, etc...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Kid Red
If ready in June why wait til Sept to release it?

to fuel the fire... hardware perhaps? :)

Comment

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Sigh

Why is it that the speculation about products taking longer to come out always make it to the front page??

Oh well. Give me Panther on a 970 with mp4 itunes and a music download service, and (sure this is a little off) perfect voice recognition, and I'll be a very happy camper.

Comment

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
panther is being brought out, maybe not in finished form?
that would make sence to me...or maybe the hardware isn't in full production yet?
those are the two posibilies i can think of...or maybe both...

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
MOSR says that they may integrate the music serivice with Mac OS X itself......and say it may develop into something where you could download other content like movies. Hmmmmm......I doubt it.....

But I do like it-sort of.

Whatever, it's just MOSR anyway.

Comment

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
If Panther is 64 bit OS, would it have backward compatibility with 32 bit processors? Or would people have to purchase 64 bit machine in order to use 64 bit OS? Would it be possible that they will release 64 bit and 32 bit version?

My guess is one would have to have 64 bit machine in order to use 64 bit OS.

Comment

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
damn I was ahead by two minutes on this one ;)
um, I doubt that current mac users would have to buy a new mac just to use Panther macphoria, but I could be wrong, just seems like that would piss off ten times more people than Apple has already pissed off. Anyone have more info on that?

Comment

idkew

macrumors 68020
it would most likely be a hybrid os. kinda akin to the fat apps that were for 040 and ppc processors.

i hate to admit it, but here is another $129 to apple. i think it should be a free upgrade for .2 users, but it won't be.

Comment

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by macphoria
If Panther is 64 bit OS, would it have backward compatibility with 32 bit processors? Or would people have to purchase 64 bit machine in order to use 64 bit OS? Would it be possible that they will release 64 bit and 32 bit version?

My guess is one would have to have 64 bit machine in order to use 64 bit OS.

They would have to. There is NO way apple is leaving a small number of Os X.2 Users traped bewteen that and 64 Bit.

Plans have been released that say 970 can run 32 bit and will for a while untill big dev. can code for another improvement.

Basically all the dev. that optomized their code to velocity will do this an a couple more.

10.3 is good, bring it when it is ready, I don't want half baked (see 10.1).

Comment

requies

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2003

it won't be ready for the public in june, only developers. that's why. ;)

(not like i actually know or anything.)

Comment

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Re: Sigh

Originally posted by jimjiminyjim
and (sure this is a little off) perfect voice recognition, and I'll be a very happy camper.

I'd be happy with perfect voice SYNTHESIS!

"Macintalk Pro Bruce" is getting a little tired, for crying out loud. That technology hasn't been updated since 1988.

Comment

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
I don't care about panther. The only way I will have 10.3 is if it is preinstalled in a new g4 or g5. I spent 129$ last summer, im not about to do it again. The new characteristics don't appeal to me. 10.2 is stable, and more than i ever expected. I'll keep my 129$. Sorry Steve.

Comment

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
32 bit vs 64 bit

I'd be very surprised (and pissed off) if 10.3 didn't work with existing, 32bit G3 and G4 machines.

I'd bet the installer would automatically install the correct software for whatever machine you are putting it on.

-or-

Maybe offer a DVD-ROM with the 64 bit version and a couple of CD-ROMs for the 32 bit version since, more than likely, all 64 bit capable machines would have DVD readers at a minimum. (If you remove your DVD reader, it's not their problem.)

-or-

They'll package them separately, OS X 10.3 in retail boxes is 32 bit and, for the time being included with 64 bit machines is the 64 bit version. They'd eventualy have to start selling two different retail boxes too.

I'm betting on the smart installer option.

Comment

forcelite

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2003
Windows xp has a 64 bit version. Most people have the 32 bit version but you can get the 64 bit one

Comment

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
WWDC is going to have a Preview of Panther. just like they had a preview of Jag that was release a month or so Later. Why is this such a surprise that it will not be released to the public at WWDC. Jag wasn't. As for the 32bit 64bit issue i think it is pretty safe to assume that since the consumer line is probably staying in the 32 bit realm that there will be 2 versions. Then again the 970 can run both 32 and 64 bit code seamlessly so it could just be a 32 bit OS but i don't it

Comment

SwitchMonkey

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2003
in the thick of it
32bit for 2003

A rushed implementation of 64bit computing benefits no one.

If Apple is truely committed to a 64bit version for the new 970s this year, I dearly hope they optimize their motherboards with no bottlenecks. I doubt that this will happen however.

Just ship a 32bit version with the new 970s and blow my socks off...

We need the fastest hardware NOW!

Comment

zephc

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
other improvements

someone on slashdot claims to have seen a dev build with pop-up windows (ala OS 9)... oh DAMN do i want to see that BAD! I wouldnt even have to use the dock after that. I originally *really* would have prefered the entire OS9 look n feel kept and put on the OS X infrastructure, but I guess I'm getting used to change =P

Comment

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
I don't care about panther. The only way I will have 10.3 is if it is preinstalled in a new g4 or g5. I spent 129$ last summer, im not about to do it again. The new characteristics don't appeal to me. 10.2 is stable, and more than i ever expected. I'll keep my 129$. Sorry Steve.

What new characteristics??? We hardly know anything about the 10.3 yet. I bet when we do you will be singing a different tune...at least I hope I will be.

Comment

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN

Because it will be in beta in June, Apple have said this. They pushed it to June so they could developers a pre-release version, to test bugs and compatibility and such.

Then the hardware will follow, oh yes!

Comment

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by Wonder Boy

You say that now, but this is Apple! There'll be some amazing new features in Panther, and that will make you rethink your presious $129.

I'll be buying it, and I'll love it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.