Panther, FCP4 and an old machine - should I upgrade or start fresh?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kkeese, Mar 27, 2010.

1. kkeese macrumors newbie

I have a Dual 1.25 GHz Power PC G4, OS X v 10.3.9 and FCP4. Can I make this work or should I upgrade? is it worth it to upgrade or better to start fresh with new equipment and software?

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

First is this for work or hobby? Second the G4 is dead to Apple so yes you have to start fresh on the hardware if you want more speed. The software can be upgraded using the license. Third old software on old hardware can be just as good as new software on new hardware, it all comes down to if you need the extra features or must have better speed and larger files and new formats.

Swing by the video forum here for better input: Digital Video

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

I agree with what Frosties said here, but also want to say, if you have the money you could buy a Mac mini or an iMac that will run circles around the G4 for final cut performance. ( I don't remember if FCP 4 is a Universal binary though ... you should check this before upgrading hardware unless you want to upgrade software too )

The thing is, you don't need a ton of CPU power if you plan your edits out pretty well and already know what you're looking for for filters.
    If you are a visual experimentalist ( "playing around" with different filters ) you are going to be miserable unless you upgrade IMHO.

I still use my dual 1.8GHz G5 for my Final cut ( express ) work, and I am very happy in my day to day.. it's only when I export 90 minutes to H.264 multipass that I am reminded how old my computer is. But then I go get coffee, and go work on something else in the mean time.

I suppose its all what you need the system for and how much time you have ( vs how much money you are willing to spend to reduce that time )