Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Panther No Longer Pre-Release?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
There have been reports that Apple has seeded new internal releases of Mac OS X Panther (7B80 and 7B81).

While there's been a significant amount of attention on the updated Apple Logo found in Mac OS X 7B74, according to an anonymous report, build 7B80 has another subtle but notable change:

The Mac OS X Version number in 7B80 has shed the "Pre-Release" status and is now simply labeled "Version 10.3". (Panther Screenshot)

This correlates with reports that Apple is putting the finishing touches on Panther. Speculation has placed Panther's final release in October, with one Page 2 Rumor hinting at a October 24th as a possibility.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
i wonder if they are going to add any unexpected new features to it... has there been any speculation on this? (i.e., what new features they might be, rather than whether or not they will ad them)

Comment

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
i really hope that it's close to finished (i'm sitting on a new hd, waiting until panther ships to install it). i also hope that apple fixes all of the cosmetic bugs before this ships, the small buttons in the picture still look like the 10.2 style (there are now 3 styles of gloss within the same os :mad: ).

Comment

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Wouldn't it be 7C81?

Correct me if I'm wrong...I very well could be, but I thought the B represented that it was a pre-release (beta) and C represented a release candidate.

So shouldn't it be 7C81?

That being said, it really does feel like we're getting close, but I think we'd be having more of the "any day now" feeling if we saw the B replaced with a C.

Comment

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Wow. October would be great!

But with the spelling: "Duale"

Weird. I just bought an iMac, 12" Powerbook and wireless keyboard/mouse. I sure hope Apple would at least give me a discount! THE day Panther comes out, there is no way in hell I'm going to stay home: I am going out and buying it....

unless, I can tell my employer I need the upgrade. What's he going to say, no? They spend so much on Wintel upgrades and antu-virus software, yet they never spend anything on me because I bought my own Mac to use at work. Hell yeah: I am just ordering on the company credit card. If anyone questions me I will say it was a necessary upgrade. What are they going to do fire me?

Man, I get off topic so much...

Comment

dguisinger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
You guys have no ideas how software development works. Removing "Pre-Release" and beta notes from dialogs doesn't happen overnight. Its not removed at the last second, they are removed often upto a month before release so that people can report places where text we left where it shouldn't be. This doesn't mean they have hit release canidate. It means they are making normal preperations to begin the release canidate stage. At this point, any place that has text that makes it appear as a beta is considered a bug.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Wouldn't it be 7C81?

Originally posted by MacSlut
Correct me if I'm wrong...I very well could be, but I thought the B represented that it was a pre-release (beta) and C represented a release candidate.

No, I don't think it works like this.

The current Jaguar build is 6R

arn

Comment

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Re: Wouldn't it be 7C81?

Originally posted by arn
No, I don't think it works like this.

The current Jaguar build is 6R

arn
i agree, but how do they get from, say, 7Bxx to 7Cxx? just after 7B99, or what?

Comment

yujini

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2003
LA, CA, USA
Hope it's this month!
Been waiting and waiting for the new powerbook,
and still waiting and waiting till the new panther comes out.

Hopefully i can get my new pbook before they announce the new
powerbooks :)

Comment

doubting_me

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2003
It is a stretch

It's a stretch but many Powerbook 12 inch orders were pushed back until October 3. With the 10.2.8 snafu's they may have thought it was worth delaying to get Panther on the machines.

It seems like a long shot, but that is what rumors are for, I guess.

Comment

iLife

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
SF Bay Area / Miami FL
seems to be close

if it comes out the 24th, it would be awesome to be able to go down to the apple store on my freaking birthday and use apple cards that people got me as presents along with what i hope is some discount from buying a G5 to get panther... here's to wishing.

:D

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by dguisinger
where text we left where it shouldn't be. This doesn't mean they have hit release canidate.

I didn't mean to imply that it had... just that they are initiating the process.

arn

Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Good news overall

I am looking forward to the release of Panther. I am pleased to hear that Apple is working on getting Panther closer to GM. I want to install it (or have it pre-installed) on a PowerMac G5.

I'm undecided as to whether to put it on my current machine, a PowerBook G4 667 Mhz 512 MB RAM w/ Airport card (the old 667 Mhz model, not the newer one).

Comment

Golem

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
Sydney,Australia
Re: Re: Re: Wouldn't it be 7C81?

Originally posted by shadowfax
i agree, but how do they get from, say, 7Bxx to 7Cxx? just after 7B99, or what?

From my understanding 10.3.1? will be 7CXX and for apple the letters have nothing to do with alpha,beta etc. Their is a detailed explanation in a similar thread ahh here it is Panther 7B53

[Edit] it was the post by catfish man. Not sure how to link to a particular post.

Comment

blueBomber

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
I hope it's released soon... I've finally convinced my boss to upgrade our macs to os X (been stuck in 9 for what seems like forever). Anybody have any word on what Postscript support is looking like in Panther?

Comment

weev

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Ok, what about the bottom line here...

How much will Panther cost?; and will customers of the latest powerbooks, iMacs, etc, get a discount?

I think they should get a free upgrade but Apple has not been so generous about this in the past.

Comment

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Wow, the itunes operating system is almost ready and just in time to be released with the fugly G5'S and new fugly AL PB's. This isn't the year of the Powerbook for Apple, it's the year of U G L Y ! Yes, Apple has finally made their operating system look worse than Windows, their laptops look like Gateway's and their desktops like dorm refrigerators.

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Ok. Reality check. 10.3 on 10/3 ain't gonna happen.

October 3rd is 6 days away. 6 Days. Although it would be a nice Apple touch, I just don't see it happening.
My best bet is 10-24.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.