Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I've talked with people that have 10.2.6 running on iMac Rev B's (233mhz G3). And with everyone saying that Panther is supposed to run faster than previous version of X, I'm to assume that it's more optimized and *should* run better on older systems as well.

But, I'm more inclined to believe real accounts than I am "should be" 's.
My end product iMac will have 312MB RAM and a 40GB HD(for all the people that will respond telling me it won't run on 4GB HD and 32MB of ram). It has never run OSX, it's going to jump straight from 8.6!! :D

So has anyone installed Panther on a similar computer? Thoughts on how it runs verses older builds of X, or pre OSX?

Earendil
Tyler

Taavi

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
Panther worked great on my dad's old clamshell iBook which is 300mhz and only has 192mbs of ram and a 6 gb harddrive. I'd say go for it however you need built-in usb to run panther apple says.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I need USB? Well then thank goodness the iMacs were the first computer to live souly off USB and ditch all other forms of connecters! :D

Earendil
Tyler

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by Taavi
Panther worked great on my dad's old clamshell iBook which is 300mhz and only has 192mbs of ram and a 6 gb harddrive. I'd say go for it however you need built-in usb to run panther apple says.

Anyone figured out why this is? Did they just stop producing drivers for the old ports?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by tomf87
Anyone figured out why this is? Did they just stop producing drivers for the old ports?
That could be it. Jaguar on a 233 G3 resulted in loss of built-in floppy drive, volume buttons, and ports that aren't USB. If you boot into 9 they all work.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
off topic

Originally posted by Earendil
I need USB? Well then thank goodness the iMacs were the first computer to live souly off USB and ditch all other forms of connecters! :D

Earendil
Tyler
Remember when you were trying to find peripherals for the computer? What a pain... I had some audio software that required a Floppy drive and I ended up having to buy two different drives because of compatibility issues. No serial port for old midi controllers. OMG I spent so much time and money trying to get stuff to work. Thank go that's all in the past. ...er I hope.

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
iMac Rev A (G3 233 Mhz) running Panther

I have a Rev A Bondi Blue iMac running Panther right now. It is a bit better than Jaguar. Actually, it is quite usable. I was very impressed. Overall for a first release of a major point release I am very impressed. Of course, I am looking forward to running this on a new iMac (1.25 ghz) but for now I am very pleased.:D

pottsro

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2003
Portland
Just loaded Panther on my Wallstreet G3 500. Upgrade smooth. Had trouble with networked printers - had to delete then add. Also noted that MS Office v.X (Word and PP) crashed while Classic running. No crashes after force quit Classic. Seems quicker the Jag, but no tests.

Ron

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by pottsro
Just loaded Panther on my Wallstreet G3 500. Upgrade smooth. Had trouble with networked printers - had to delete then add. Also noted that MS Office v.X (Word and PP) crashed while Classic running. No crashes after force quit Classic. Seems quicker the Jag, but no tests.

Ron
Is it quicker because it's new and you're excited or do things really open faster?

How long does it take for Panther vs Jaguar to boot on a G3?

Do any apps open faster?

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by tomf87
Because the presence of USB is indicative of a motherboard with NewWorld ROMs. They've stopped producing drivers for OldWorld motherboards (i.e. beige G3 and Wallstreet PowerBook).

So I suppose that, in a simplistic fashion, yes, they did stop producing drivers for the old ports. But the new ports (USB) came along with a major change to the motherboard.

HTH
WM

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by Taavi

Any reason this wouldn't be true for a 233mhz iBook (assume I jack up the memory)?

I understand it won't have all the goodies, but it's my mom's, so she won't care. But it would be nice to get us all on the same OS page again.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
That could be it. Jaguar on a 233 G3 resulted in loss of built-in floppy drive, volume buttons, and ports that aren't USB. If you boot into 9 they all work.
You sure on that? My ADB keyboard works just fine on my beige G3. I suppose I'll have to get XPostfacto to install Panther...

waxwings

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2003
Panther on B&W G3

I put Panther on my old Yosemite (B&W) G3 with 384MB RAM. It runs great so far, even fixed some issues I'd been having with the system that I was beginning to think were hardware related.

Under previous versions of OS X, the system wouldn't wake properly from sleep, requiring a restart. More recently, the system wouldn't boot at all, except in Safe Boot mode. Under Panther, both those issues are resolved (though it's just as likely that the problems were solved when I reformatted the drive using the "write zeroes" feature enabled, something you couldn't do under previous versions).

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Panther on B&W G3

Originally posted by waxwings
I put Panther on my old Yosemite (B&W) G3 with 384MB RAM. It runs great so far, even fixed some issues I'd been having with the system that I was beginning to think were hardware related.

Under previous versions of OS X, the system wouldn't wake properly from sleep, requiring a restart. More recently, the system wouldn't boot at all, except in Safe Boot mode. Under Panther, both those issues are resolved (though it's just as likely that the problems were solved when I reformatted the drive using the "write zeroes" feature enabled, something you couldn't do under previous versions).
I had issues with my b/w G3. When waking from sleep mode the screen would become static and I would have to restart. This didn't happen until I put 10.2.8 and it wasn't consistant. The other wierd thing is that the hard drive keeps waking from sleep... I am various curious as to performance on the B/W G3... I did upgrade my system to 800mhz from 400.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I've installed Panther on my Rev D. iMac (333 Mhz G3, 288 MB RAM, 6 GB HDD, Rage Pro C graphics with 6 MB VRAM).

I was using the machine fulltime under Jaguar for web, email, word processing and some older games.

Under Panther things are a little bit faster, but nothing dramatic. It boots a bit quicker, apps launch a fraction faster, menus and finder is a little more responsive.

However once you get in and start using stuff like Mail, Safari, Word etc there isn't any noticeable difference.

This machine doesn't support Quartz Extreme so Expose is a little jerky.

Overall a bit of an anticlimax. Jaguar was quite usable. Panther is a bit faster than Jaguar. A good, soild update with some nice new features, but that's mostly window dressing.

I did an Archive and Install, without saving previous users/settings.

I'd say if you can afford it, go for it. If it's a stretch to buy Panther, don't panic too much.

Zen

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by zen
I've installed Panther on my Rev D. iMac (333 Mhz G3, 288 MB RAM, 6 GB HDD, Rage Pro C graphics with 6 MB VRAM).

I was using the machine fulltime under Jaguar for web, email, word processing and some older games.

Under Panther things are a little bit faster, but nothing dramatic. It boots a bit quicker, apps launch a fraction faster, menus and finder is a little more responsive.

However once you get in and start using stuff like Mail, Safari, Word etc there isn't any noticeable difference.

This machine doesn't support Quartz Extreme so Expose is a little jerky.

Overall a bit of an anticlimax. Jaguar was quite usable. Panther is a bit faster than Jaguar. A good, soild update with some nice new features, but that's mostly window dressing.

I did an Archive and Install, without saving previous users/settings.

I'd say if you can afford it, go for it. If it's a stretch to buy Panther, don't panic too much.

Zen
Thanks.. This is very honest and about what I expected. I don't have an AGP graphics card either, so I suppose I'll run into like problems. The $65 wont be too bad with the educational discount..

pottsro

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2003
Portland
Don't know about Wallstreet not accepting Panther. Maybe I have a mutant. It's working - I put exposé through its paces today and was pleased.

As for speed, the boot is faster, no question. Apps open about the same it seems, but documents are definitely opening faster - particularly big, complex ones in MS Office suite. Can't figure out why I can't see windows servers anymore when I "go to server". Seems I have to know the addresses for everyone of the dang 200 or so of them.

JetPilot

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2003
Los Altos, CA
Do you have a USB card?

pottsro,

Are you sure you have a wallstreet? Do you have a USB PC card in the slot?

The system requirement for Panter says, "built-in USB" whatever that means, and the wallsteet had ADB and no USB port. You could add a USB PC card. Same for my G3 beige DT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.