Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Panther Seeding Continues...

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Reports indicate that Apple has seeded an updated version of Panther.

The original Panther that was distributed at WWDC carried a build number of 7A179. A subsequent 'Test' Software Update brought Panther up to build 7A202, with improvements in Exposé, Mail and iChat.

Friday, Apple seeded developers with Panther 7B21, but with few details on the changes are provided. This build is said to incorporate extensive bug fixes, however.

rDLr

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Does this build include support for Microsoft Exchange Server within the Mail application like the rumors say?

Comment

Rx7 Fan

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2003
Sunny California
When is it coming out? I've heard somewhere towards the end of September. Hopefully it will be out when the new 12" powerbook comes out so I don't have to buy both. I could just get it free w/ a purchase of a powerbook :D :D :D

Comment

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
More features?

I read at macosrumors (yeah, yeah... I know... some of you have a real problem with that site) that there are plans for quite a few more coming features in Panther "These will be among the 70+ Panther features that Apple hasn't publicly announced (nor, in many cases, actually implemented!) yet; expect to hear a lot about these in the coming months."

I'd like to think that this is true and that Windowshade and themes will be amongst them, but I tend to think that won't be the case.

Comment

joephish

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2003
England
Yeah, I'm waiting to get a revised 12" PowerBook too... hopefully it'll come with Panther!

Re: MacOSRumors.com

What is wrong with it? I too have noticed lots of derogatory posts about it. Can anyone enlighten me as to why nobody trusts them? They seem to have some interesting, believable sounding stuff on their site - is this all just intelligent speculation?

Comment

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Re: More features?

Originally posted by inkswamp
I read at macosrumors (yeah, yeah... I know... some of you have a real problem with that site) that there are plans for quite a few more coming features in Panther "These will be among the 70+ Panther features that Apple hasn't publicly announced (nor, in many cases, actually implemented!) yet; expect to hear a lot about these in the coming months."

I think they are going on the assumption Steve Jobs will do what he did last year; "A dollar a feature"

I'd like to think that this is true and that Windowshade and themes will be amongst them, but I tend to think that won't be the case.

Two things I'd love in Panther. I'd be happpy if they just brought back minimise in place from the OS X beta.

Originally posted by joephish
What is wrong with it? I too have noticed lots of derogatory posts about it. Can anyone enlighten me as to why nobody trusts them? They seem to have some interesting, believable sounding stuff on their site - is this all just intelligent speculation?

They don't have a good accuracy track record, and as someone pointed out yesterday, they try to improve it with the most general of comments, "What we can tell you however, that within a year the product line will receive at least minor updates". No s**t Sherlock.

Saying that, it was the first rumor site I followed (sniff. those were the days. the pre-macrumors.com days)

AppleMatt

Comment

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Do a little archive search, and MacOSRumors doesn't look so reliable. They were my first, too. But after begging for a Radeon 8500 with ADC (no such creature BTW) to play with, then overclocking it (and thus ruining it), then having the nerve to beg for another one... they lost many of us as readers.

Not to mention the fact that they seem to be consistantly wrong, making up the most outrageous claims. The only time they seem to be right is when it's posted on a bunch of other places first. Even then. We all make mistakes, these are rumors after all, but MOSR is almost as much of a joke as BuyMusic.com is.

Don't believe anything they say unless it's one of the broad generalizations they're now famous for.

edit: Just take a look at what's currently showing on their main page. What isn't obvious, is obviously wrong. If you get your hopes up for most of this stuff, you will be sorely disappointed.

Is it me, or do they no longer have a way to check previous articles?

Comment

richie

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Re: Re: More features?

Originally posted by AppleMatt
I think they are going on the assumption Steve Jobs will do what he did last year; "A dollar a feature"

Actually, Steve said in the keynote that there are 100+ improvements/features in Panther, so MOSR is basing their 70+ off that :)

Comment

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Okies. Well I read that development (of new features) on Panther was meant to have finished now, which is a shame.

However as the release date is wooly, perhaps development is continuing. I'm surprised at the small interest in this thread. I'll get hold of this build soon and see what's new. Hopefully it'll solve my big battery problem.

AppleMatt

Attachments

• big battery.jpg
    big battery.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 5,626
Comment

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
Originally posted by solvs
Just take a look at what's currently showing on their main page. What isn't obvious, is obviously wrong.

What? The claim of "The World's Fastest Personal Computer"? I've been following the benchmarking controversy in some detail, and it's clear that AT VERY LEAST - reasonable minds will differ about the claim. There are plenty of people (like me) who are willing to agree with it. That alone places it very far from "obviously" wrong.

Comment

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
err...he was talking of www.macosrumors.com front page, not www.apple.com.

AppleMatt

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Does the B in the seed name signify the first Beta release, while the A in the first 2 seeds stood for Alpha?

Comment

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Originally posted by Freg3000
Does the B in the seed name signify the first Beta release, while the A in the first 2 seeds stood for Alpha?
That stands for the "major minor" revision number.
For a revision bigger than a tiny bugfix. Jaguar's at 6L60 right now.

Comment

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Re: More features?

Steve Jobs said that there were going to be tons more features than they could show at WWDC.

Comment

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I take it you have the new build.

Few questions;
- Are you a developer? (I won't flame if you aren't)
- Any new features?
- Any big bugs fixed?
- Any UI differences/improvements?
- Can you post XBench results and what machine you're using it on please?

AppleMatt

Comment

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
Icons for applications now zoom towards you a bit and then fade out when double clicked for launching.

Comment

jessefoxperry

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2003
I haven't checked yet, but I'm guessing this new release isn't in the Panther Software Update? Please say it is :)

Comment

DrugsBunny

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2003
Mars
Yes, I'm a developer. Maan, it's all so NDA. Beyond the WWDC release of Panther, the biggest noticeable feature is that HelpViewer seems to be using WebKit. Mac Help (the finder's help) doesn't launch because the help files are messed up but iTunes help, for example is there and it's damn quick. Other than, annoying draw bugs in Finder icons have been fixed but there are still definite draw bugs. Window open/close and file browsing are lightening now. Crashing apps now bring up a dialog to send a bug report à la WinXP. Oh..and for me, battery life is now back up to the 3 hour mark on a TiBook 1Ghz on a full charge. Nothing really huge in the UI department, just a few widget changes in keychain, pref panes have been cleaned up a bit. OpenGL performance seems to have gone down marginally. But overall it seems much faster. Don't install it over a previous build, archive then install.

Cable account has been capped so I can't even d/l the 284K needed to get Xbench without having the damn thing timeout.

Comment

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
Finder Help launches fine for me and yes, it's damn quick. CD3 is X11 (launches in one bounce) and an extra voice for the speech, Vicki (a nicer version of existing Victoria). Don't seem to be able to assign mouse buttons to Exposé anymore.

Comment

SYN

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2003
Could those with the build check if kqueue() support is in the Finder? ie if creating files in the terminal show in the finder immediately, or if file sizes in the Get Info windows update when modifed (for files being transfered/created) etc.?

How is QT?

Comment

DrugsBunny

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2003
Mars
Where is that Vault thing???? I looked everywhere and I can't find it. Hey, has anyone checked out Chess? That thing is so totally cool now.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.