daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Re: Panther 'Test' Software Update

Originally posted by Macrumors
In your Panther Software Update:

Screenshot
I'm not questioning this, but it is interesting to note that there's no Panther update available on the ADC download area. Of course, there's no Panther seed distribution yet, either.

I signed up for ADC Select on June 30th and haven't received anything. I've been expecting an updated Panther beta to become more widely available (all ADC seed participants), but nothing so far.

unfaded

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
Re: Re: Panther 'Test' Software Update

Originally posted by daveL
I'm not questioning this, but it is interesting to note that there's no Panther update available on the ADC download area. Of course, there's no Panther seed distribution yet, either.

I signed up for ADC Select on June 30th and haven't received anything. I've been expecting an updated Panther beta to become more widely available (all ADC seed participants), but nothing so far.

Why would this be weird...they're testing the software update...

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Re: Re: Re: Panther 'Test' Software Update

Originally posted by unfaded

Because they never did this before with any other beta of OSX.

It could be that they're looking for who has Panther that shouldn't have Panther.

tsunake

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2003

The software update test includes updates for expose, mail, and ichat.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Re: Re: Panther 'Test' Software Update

Originally posted by MacSlut
Because they never did this before with any other beta of OSX.

It could be that they're looking for who has Panther that shouldn't have Panther.

well - that would be difficult. They gave Panther to thousands (I think) of developers at WWDC. Which probably was intended to be installed at their home/work machines etc...

It's not like there's a registry.

arn

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana

Because it fixes some other bugs, as well?

For instance, I originally got the 10.2.6 update via software update, but it is also available, along with all the 10.2.x updates, on the ADC download area.

jg3

macrumors member
May 3, 2002
Urbana, IL
screenshot

Please let's not post PDFs without noting that that's what they are - especially if they don't give any more information than the post itself. 'Preciate it.

CaptainScarlet

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
CheeseLand
Re: Re: Re: Re: Panther 'Test' Software Update

Originally posted by MacSlut

So what, I'm sure Apple knows that everyone wants a copy!!!

And users are going to get a copy no matter what!!

It's good for everyone....

I'm not going to keep this beta forever, just until they release the Panther out of the cage.....then I'll bite it............

:)

CS

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
The original build number is 7A179.

When the update downloads and restarts the machine, I'll post the new build number (which I doubt has changed)

In the meantime...they've added a pause button to Software Update! Fantastic!

AppleMatt

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Re: Re: Panther 'Test' Software Update

Originally posted by daveL

I too am dismayed by the lack of a formal developer seeding. As of Wednesday (the last time I bothered to call), Apple has still not decided when ADC members with seeding keys will receive the developer preview of 10.3. Therefore, most 3rd part developers have yet to get their hands on Panther.

Kind of blows the whole 'final release in September' rumor out of the water, eh?

henryblackman

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2002
10.3 Seeding From Apple

I wrote to Apple asking about seeding (I'm an ADC Select member) and they confirmed that they would be seeding to developers not at the show.

They said that you'd need to be registered on June 23rd to qualify, and that I should watch out for the seeding email they send out.

I assume their email was not private - hopefully not away :-(

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
While not an ADC member, I see your arguments, and am quite shocked Apple haven't released it to you lot yet. It would be nice if they included Safari style bug reporting on a lot of things, aswell as the usual channels.

Right...the update:

New Mac OS X 10.3 build number is 7A202.

Unfortunately I did not check the Mail version before I updated.

What's more interesting is after restart (which took AGES), I was presented with this screen. Safari version is still the same. Ideas?

Attachments

• safari.jpg
    safari.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2,517

CaptainScarlet

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
CheeseLand
Originally posted by AppleMatt
The original build number is 7A179.

When the update downloads and restarts the machine, I'll post the new build number (which I doubt has changed)

In the meantime...they've added a pause button to Software Update! Fantastic!

AppleMatt

I think it was 7A207 or 7A202....

It has changed....I made sure of that...

CS

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by thebossisback
Does 10.3 feel significantly faster than 10.2?

The UI does, and XBench scores prove it (upto 49% speed increase), however other areas currently show a (significant) drop, and playing games proves this. But the dock is soooo much smoother, and Safari scrolling is smooth, so I'm happy with it, bearing in mind it isn't even alpha yet.

This latest update seems to have slowed expose, perhaps the bug fixes added more initial calcluations on position?

It's all progress, I'm sure by the time Panther comes out there will be great across the board improvements (Specifically I'm hoping for major graphics improvements, but also sound improvements because that area has been slightly ignored for audio professionals)

AppleMatt

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Re: screenshot

Originally posted by jg3
Please let's not post PDFs without noting that that's what they are - especially if they don't give any more information than the post itself. 'Preciate it.

I agree - not a pleasant surprise. That would have been fine as a jpeg or gif...

thebossisback

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2003
Providence, RI
thats good so by the time it comes out they will hopefully fix the problems

now that about it, it seems as though 10.2 wasnt much faster than 10.1 but that may be that im used to 10.2

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Re: Re: screenshot

Originally posted by jg3

Originally posted by bignumbers
I agree - not a pleasant surprise. That would have been fine as a jpeg or gif...

Are you that lazy that you can't mouseover and see what the link is pointing to before you click on it? :confused: Sheesh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.