Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
55,467
17,809
eWeek reports on details of Apple's next major revision of Mac OS X.

According to the article, the theme behind the upgrade will be putting the "User at the Center" of the OS.


They said User at the Center features will make it simpler for individual users to personalize their computing experience and to move seamlessly among Macs and other devices

eWeek fills in some details on previously mentioned features coming to Panther, including Multiple Graphical Logins, Piles, new file system format akin to BeOS's, and rumors that Panther will provide 64-bit support.
 

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
3,809
0
That sounds very apple. I mean if they are keeping the one button mouse because they beleivei t will enahcne and make the expereince easier this seems like a lgocial next step .
 

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
802
0
This can only be a good thing.

I think multiple graphical logins is one of the few good features of WinXP, and OSX would be wise to incorporate it.

Piles seems like a really nifty idea.

Hopefully, the rumors of Panther supporting 64bits will lead to PPC 970's in upcoming PowerMacs.

Here's hopin':D
 

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
2,924
33
Ha ha haaa!
Personalize my computing experience, eh? Does this mean we'll finally get some "Appearance" options like in OS 9? That would be nice. Actually have a little official control over the interface. But I'm not holding my breath...
 

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
3,099
0
Customizing the mac desktop is one of the coolest things to do. I enjoy doing it. And even if apple didn't give the tools from the start there are themes anbd many cool tools such as haxies to do so.

So its win win for us anyways.
 

richie

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
91
0
Melbourne, Australia
A little off-topic, but...
MOSR weighs in with another update on multiple logins that can't possibly be proven wrong:

http://macosrumors.com/

Without solid evidence, the sort of claims that 'it could be removed in later builds' as a way to prove what you're saying, is ridiculous.
 

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
1,037
1,908
Originally posted by richie
A little off-topic, but...
MOSR weighs in with another update on multiple logins that can't possibly be proven wrong:

http://macosrumors.com/

Without solid evidence, the sort of claims that 'it could be removed in later builds' as a way to prove what you're saying, is ridiculous.

I don't think its that rediculous. It means Apple is testing it, if they are right. Windows XP allows you to leave your programs running while switching users to allow someone else to check their mail or browse the web. If Apple was adding multiple login support, which people have said currently focuses on remote stations, it doesn't take a very large stretch to see them suspending a user's session and loging a new user into the GUI. Again, its based on the same code base that allows multiple users remotely...by specifying which user receives the output and on what machine. Since XP has done it, and many people with XP use it, I can only imagine Apple needs to add it if they add the rest. Whether it will be in Panther or its successor is a little less certain.
 

richie

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
91
0
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry, to clear up what I was saying: what they're suggesting isn't ridiculous - in fact, it's a feature that is so widely rumoured that it makes the fact that they're so obviously covering themselves, like they are, worse.
 

Perceptes

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2003
95
0
San Diego, CA
I hope they bring back the apple menu functionality of OS 9, similar to what Fruitmenu (or whatever it's called does) but built into the system so it will be fast.
 

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
2,924
33
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by Perceptes
I hope they bring back the apple menu functionality of OS 9, similar to what Fruitmenu (or whatever it's called does) but built into the system so it will be fast.

I sincerely doubt they will be doing that. The closest I see them coming to that would be to have a submenu for System Prefs so you can select the specific prefs you want (such as "Network") before it launches System Prefs, instead of just having "System Preferences...".

Apple is reserving the Apple menu for system-wide specific items, it's no longer a catch-all for our stuff, that's what the dock serves as now.
 

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I think there is something underlying all this that everyone is missing. This means that as of 10.3 OSX will be very mature. They should have optimized nearly everything and have worked out all the large bugs. GUI evolution as the focus of a build usually only comes after you have made a fairly good base program/system. I would say that this means OSX has finally graduated from a public beta to a full blown ready to fight operating system. From here on out the development can shift from the arduous sifting through the code to the ingenuitive creation of new objects and new ways of doing things.
 

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
727
0
Montgomery, AL
I personally would love for Apple to include theming ability in the OS. Haxies are great, but they can make your system unstable (at least in my experience). It would also quell a lot of dissent surrounding the potential switch to brushed metal. Just a thought...
 

The Shadow

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
216
0
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by MacBandit
I would say that this means OSX has finally graduated from a public beta to a full blown ready to fight operating system. From here on out the development can shift from the arduous sifting through the code to the ingenuitive creation of new objects and new ways of doing things.

What he said!
 

Longey Nowze

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
222
0
this is more offtopic stuff sorry

MacBandit I love your avatars! where do you get them? or do you make them your self?
and your sig... add to that... the tallest guy in the NBA is chinese, and the most powerful men in the US if not the world are called Bush, Dick and Colon :eek: :p

Originally posted by MacBandit
I think there is something underlying all this that everyone is missing. This means that as of 10.3 OSX will be very mature. They should have optimized nearly everything and have worked out all the large bugs. GUI evolution as the focus of a build usually only comes after you have made a fairly good base program/system. I would say that this means OSX has finally graduated from a public beta to a full blown ready to fight operating system. From here on out the development can shift from the arduous sifting through the code to the ingenuitive creation of new objects and new ways of doing things.

back to topic, this is exactly what i was thinking! and it makes me thing that even when OS X (from v10.1-10.2) was getting a lot of great reviews and it was/is amazing! so think of what could/wil happen now that OS X has matured!

THANK YOU
MaT
 

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
2,075
0
Muncie, Indiana
Great! At a minimum we should be able to:

1. Change the size or typeface of the system font, to any size or font

2. Change any GUI element to any desired color of the 16M, besides just selecting from pre-built "themes"

3. Get rid of pinstriping, brushed-metal, etc. system-wide

4. Set system-wide and per-folder defaults for how we want icons to be arranged (left, right, top, bottom, etc.)

If anyone at Apple is lacking in inspiration, I can give them another dozen or two along these lines.
 

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
351
108
One more feature request...

The ability to SHUT OFF ANTI-ALIASING.

And apologies for the all caps.

It makes me feel as though I've lost my vision! After a day of squinting at X, I'm happy to return to the nice, sharp fonts of 9. And, yes, I've tried shutting off aliasing for under 12 point fonts.
 

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
1,515
58
DFW, TX, USA
Re: One more feature request...

Originally posted by allpar
The ability to SHUT OFF ANTI-ALIASING.

And apologies for the all caps.

It makes me feel as though I've lost my vision! After a day of squinting at X, I'm happy to return to the nice, sharp fonts of 9. And, yes, I've tried shutting off aliasing for under 12 point fonts.
Hehe - to each his own I guess. I find the OS X display a welcome, easy on the eyes, change from all day staing at Windows 2000's "sharp" fonts. Much more like reading a printed page IMO.

But, I agree, they should provide a way to shut it off for those who dislike it.
 

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
1,690
0
Originally posted by Perceptes
I hope they bring back the apple menu functionality of OS 9, similar to what Fruitmenu (or whatever it's called does) but built into the system so it will be fast.

hey neighbor:) (location = long beach)
the doc is just like the apple menu with ADDED features. the doc lets you setup folders that you can navigate through just like the apple menu. i just wish you didnt have to click the folder for the menu to fly out. also the apple menu was text base, the doc is so graphical that you cant really tell what all the folders are about until you have your cursor over it. but still, it can be used as an apple menu if you'd like.
 

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: this is more offtopic stuff sorry

Originally posted by Longey Nowze
MacBandit I love your avatars! where do you get them? or do you make them your self?
and your sig... add to that... the tallest guy in the NBA is chinese, and the most powerful men in the US if not the world are called Bush, Dick and Colon :eek: :p



back to topic, this is exactly what i was thinking! and it makes me thing that even when OS X (from v10.1-10.2) was getting a lot of great reviews and it was/is amazing! so think of what could/wil happen now that OS X has matured!

THANK YOU
MaT

Yeah, about the tars. I just happen across them while looking for desktops. I found this one at Spymac and the last one at deviantart.com.
 

elo

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
140
0
How did you all get themes and skins from this article? It didn't even mention those things, and Apple is highly unlikely to move in that direction. It's also mostly irrelevant, since third parties can and do provide visual themes.

The big news here, AFAIC, is that Piles will finally be used. I've been waiting eagerly for this capability ever since I read the patent for them. It's an interface leap as significant as putting a trash can on the desktop. And it's a power-user feature, the sort of thing that let's people get real work done.

elo
 

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by elo
How did you all get themes and skins from this article? It didn't even mention those things, and Apple is highly unlikely to move in that direction. It's also mostly irrelevant, since third parties can and do provide visual themes.

It has to do with the way the statement is made. It talks about putting the user experience at the center and allowing the user to personilize there computing experience. This to me says themes or some other vast appearance options. Face it currently OSX doesn't allow a vast amount of custimzing. Yes you can use different folder view and arrange your icons differently. Woop de frickin doo. I want to be able to view my music folder by the ID3 tag information and my video and photo folders by there tag information too. Also I should be able to change the color and design of my windows any way I want. It's just a GUI how is it supposed to cause my system to crash huh? Come on apple give us options.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.