Papa John's Pizza stands by employee who shot armed robber in self defense

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 15, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/1...ployee-who-shot-armed-robber-in-self-defense/
    Nice to see a CO stand behind their employees. excuse me,I need to go buy a pizza:D

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Meh. Their pizza still blows. Dominos all the way for fake pizza.

I don't see why she should be fired. Unless company policy doesn't allow employees to be armed. I'm usually against companies who fire employees for defending themselves or other customers. Not just talking about guns but in general.

3. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Better Ingredients. Better self-defense. Papa Johns.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Pappa Johns does better fake Pizza IMHO.

I'm giving this post a kudos point up for your calling it fake pizza. People back east know better.

Don't get me started on meatballs.

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Although surprisingly enough people here still like fake pizza because dominos, papa johns, and Pizza Hut are all fully operational in my area and have been since the 80's. Weird right?

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I haven't read any of the sourced material, but if the delivery person was legally carrying a gun, was attacked and defended herself, then give her and the gun lobby a prize for proving that firearms save lives.

Occasionally.

7. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

If we can save one life. Remember? :cool:

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Actually, you'll never hear me use that phrase. One human life is pretty cheap.

That has been proven over, and over and over.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Apparently Papa Johns' company policy prohibits employees from carrying guns on the job.

A policy they are apparently waiving in this case. And thereby complicating issues considerably the next time a Papa Johns' employee's gun accidentally discharges and kills an innocent bystander.

Takeaway (not delivery) from this:

1) Is the economy still so bad that being fired from a pizza delivery job was a problem?

You might think that even if this woman did lose her job; being famous as the lady who cooly shot a robber while lying on the ground might win her some admirers in gun-friendly Georgia. On the other hand, maybe those card-carrying NRA member business owners might not be so enthusiastic about having a pistol-packing (company policy-violating) vigilante working in their own business.

2) If pizza delivery companies want to cut down on robbery of drivers, maybe its time for them to stop taking cash for deliveries. I realize there are people who don't have bank accounts/credit-debit cards etc. But Dominos (for one) still refuses to deliver to some neighborhoods out of concern for driver safety. Drivers who carried no cash are a much less attractive target for robbers.

3) I'm not sure we can say carrying a gun saved a life. It certainly, in this case, speeded up the apprehension of an armed robber. The (shooter/pizza driver) still is missing her car.

10. JackieInCo macrumors 601

At the particular Pizza Hut that I used to work at, two of the drivers had been there 20+ years and never had been robbed. Out of all that time, there had only been two drivers robbed so being robbed as a delivery driver I would say is pretty slim.

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Guess your Pizza Hut wasn't in Bed Stuy.

12. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

In this instance, occasionally represents tens of thousands of instances every year in the US.

13. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Please know that I am against firearm ownership.

I used to manage a Pizza Hut call center in Canada. Canada is considered to be much safer the USA but we still have numerous occasions of pizza not being delivered because drivers have had their money, pizza and car stolen. Many of them had to arm themselves to prevent this. This happened regularly. Pizza delivery is much more dangerous job than it seems.

14. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Policy or no policy, a company will still be sued if their employee accidentally discharges a weapon. Companies carry such a policy to lower their liability insurance.

Also, "pistol packing vigilante?" Really? How classy. More like "legally carrying, law abiding citizen.

Just a tip: using the NRA to mock gun owners isn't really accurate. The NRA consists of approximately 5 million members, yet there are an estimated 80-90 million gun owners in the US. Think about it.

15. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

This is assuming the thief kills after stealing. Which is rarely the case.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That people pull guns and imagine it saved them?

Yeah. I'd buy that number.

17. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

This the best solution to reduce such incidents.

18. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Unfortunately that won't happen. It's also unbelievable the amount of people who place a $13 order and expect the delivery driver to have change for $100.

As far as driver safety, I know Pizza Hut had a few guidelines that they used to give drivers such as never deliver to a dark house at night and to be cautious when pulling up and seeing anything suspicious. They ultimately left it up to the driver and I know many of them called the customer when the house was completely dark and didn't get out of the car if contact was never made.

I do recall one instance of when a 50 year old driver was robbed while I was working. It a warm day in May around 5:30PM and the driver entered the apartment building through the front which has blind corners. A few guys were waiting for him with baseball bats and the driver dropped the pizza and got away. They arrested the guys at their apartment in that building and they served time. Their apartment number was listed on the order ticket :eek:

The driver knows he made a mistake now by entering through the front of the building instead of the back where the whole complex could be seen such as where people were gathered and whatnot.

19. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Imagine it saved them? Boy I wonder where you stand on this topic lol.

I'd say check out sites that aggregate defensive gun uses, which happen on a daily basis, but it's pretty obvious you aren't really open to it in the first place. You're welcome to your opinion, but people use guns to save their lives every single day across this country. From kids to grandparents. It happens all the time.

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Knew a guy that left his baby glock in the passenger seat while making a delivery... And he left the car running...

He got robbed, jacked, and got his gun stolen.

Bright bulb that one.

21. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I'd say check out sites that show that firearm incidents outnumbers situations that saved a life and that an increase in firearms ownership just increases deaths, but it's pretty obvious you aren't really open to it in the first place. You're welcome to your opinion, but people die because of the omnipresence of guns every single day across this country. From kids to grandparents. It happens all the time.

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

You gamble your own life, limb, and loved ones. And killing alone is not the worst thing that can happen.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've looked an a good amount of data.

I'm quite comfortable knowing my stance is backed by science and evidence.

----------

What? You might get waterboarded too?

I think by most standards, death is the worst thing that can happen.

What do you think is worse? Please describe in gory and horrible detail.

24. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

The gamble starts when you carry a gun with you.

http://www.newscientist.com/article...-of-getting-shot-and-killed.html#.VLqLQiI1hr0

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy