Parahuman

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spaceboots06, Jul 1, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hi,

I was reading an article on wikipedia a while ago and came across human animal hybrids. Apparently it is quasi-possible but highly frowned upon.

"...an experiment in 2003, during which Chinese scientists at the Shanghai Second Medical University successfully fused human cells with rabbit eggs."

If you had authority on this matter, would you approve or disapprove of this research? I would approve in a heartbeat. Imagine the possibilities. This is the kind of think that makes me doubt God. I guess the writers of the bible didn't take into consideration whether half human/ half animal beings would go to heaven or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parahuman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism

The latter being more general on this subject.

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

PRSI material.
    Talking about morality/ playing God.
    Could get ugly very fast.

On topic seeing as this may get moved but it is an interesting topic:
    I think we should keep things the way they are. Ive seen too many movies with too many mutants/ creations of man gone wrong. We dont need that in real life. Its an interesting concept, but one that should probably be left to the "Big Guy."

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Moved to PRSI!!

The issue for me is not wether we should do it, its what these beings will feel about themselves once they are created, assuming they are self aware that is.

Would you want to be half man, half rabbit?

(..and no smutty jokes kthxbai)

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Now that IS an interesting thought. I can see this thread is going to go places. What would like as a 'parahuman' be like? What if the creature were suffering? Would euthinacia be acceptable? Are they humans first or animals first? They would probably be able to form cognitive thought, but where does the line between human and animal begin/ end?

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Given the amount of bleating done by those who believe in animal rights (and plant rights for that matter) it would be a given that any level of human/animal hybridisation would immediately draw claims of self awareness and the need for rights etc.

It really doesn't matter, The Island of Dr. Moreaux will only ever be a fantasy, no government would allow this kind of work to go ahead, it would be "against god".

There are a number of excellent sci-fi stories written along these lines, I'll see if I can't scare them up later.

6. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Probably not, only because it's considered weird. But, would it be considered weird if there were many half and halfs? Probably. Would normal people eventually be jealous? I think so. Okay maybe that's an overstatement.

The way I picture it, they would have emotions and thoughts that people do but a foggy version of it.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

very likely, but being aware would imply being aware of your status as an artificially created being, they may well be party to enhanced senses, but they would undoubtledly be dubbed "sub-human" by many.

There is a story of a man and his dog who get their brains and personalities transferred into creatures on Jupiter (I think) called Lopers, the experience is not what the man expected, and the dog thinks it's fantastic...!

As ever, different does not mean inferior.

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Would this possibly open itself to a new form of racism? Subism? Pararacism?
    Again, I think this is something our world couldn't handle.

9. Queso macrumors G4

I just wish they'd hurry up and make men even hairier :D

I don't think long ears and a bobtail would do it for me though...

10. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

The problem is whether or not society would accept them.
    They themselves would not "dislike" themselves if society had no problem with them.

In saying this of course there is a risk that parahumans (and the like) would abhor themselves due to being the product of a genetic experiment etc.

But, on the whole, if all groups in society were to accept them there would be no problem with it.

11. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

The world could use a bunch of humans who really do breed like rabbits. :p

SLC

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Have we learned nothing from "The Island of Dr. Moreau" ? This is quite the old moral debate, but with advances in technology and medicine I'm sure it will continue to rage on.