Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think Parallels treating buyers at the end of a version cycle fairly?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shmerls

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
white plains
I bought and activated 9 last month and paid $80 full price since I hadn't had Parallels for many years. Version 10 released the beginning of August and I assumed, stupidly, that Parallels would offer a free upgrade for such recent buyers. WRONG!

If you bought Parallels before August 1, 2014, you pay the fully upgrade price $50.

In talking with Parallels I asked if the person that bought version 9 the day it was released (Sept 2013) and a person who bought version 9 on July 31, 2014 both paid $50 since they both bought/installed before August 1, 2014? Answer = YES!

I appreciate you have to have a policy and cut off date, but treating a person who just bought their software the same as someone who had it for almost 2 years just doesn't seem fair or a minimum good customer service.

If I want version 10 it will basically cost me $130 since I used 9 all of 6 times owning it for just a month.

I am stunned that after having a talk with several reps and managers that no one would budge an inch. Not even a discount off the $50. Real hard ball and insensitivity toward a new full price owner.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I understand your frustration, but I guess they have to set a cut-off date somewhere.

Just a thought, there is no need to update to version 10, 9 will work on Yosemite, so you could run 9 then update to 11 next year. I tend to update every other version, I was running 8 and then just updated to 10 since 8 won't work on Yosemite.

shmerls

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
white plains
I understand your frustration, but I guess they have to set a cut-off date somewhere.

Just a thought, there is no need to update to version 10, 9 will work on Yosemite, so you could run 9 then update to 11 next year. I tend to update every other version, I was running 8 and then just updated to 10 since 8 won't work on Yosemite.

Good points. And as I said I definitely respect having a policy and cut off date and that no one is holding a gun to my head to upgrade. It's a want, not a need.

But at the same time, treating a 2 year old user the same as a 1 month user, just seems unfair and that perhaps it would be less frustrating if they had either a longer cut off maybe 3 months back, or a prorated upgrade so I might pay $29 and an older user the full $49, but that's messier accounting wise.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

Parallels 9 didn't work with Yosemite DP6 when it came out, but worked with all previous DPs .... not sure if this has changed recently via a patch

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Parallels 9 didn't work with Yosemite DP6 when it came out, but worked with all previous DPs .... not sure if this has changed recently via a patch
Even if it hasn't yet, it will happen: Parallels already announced they will release patches for Parallels 9 to make it Yosemite compatible.

shmerls

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
white plains

Speaking of software compatibility. The whole reason I have to use Windows/Parallels is because of a tracking program needed for my new job. Most salesmen use PCs > Win 7 > our App. The few on Macs with Parallels, didn't see any using Bootcamp, find our company app freeze at times. The PC users never freeze.

Since our app is for in home presentations, I absolutely can't have any freezes or software malfunction as it will break the pace, etc.

It would be interesting to see if 10 alleviates this and if so, having just bought 9 would want 10 as a rightful fix. They have a 30 day return policy, but unfortunately I bought without this in mind just to have configured and ready for when my job actually started.

Had I known about the 30 days, I would have waited to buy and try in field conditions and would have seen the conflict, returned and replace it with 10.

But I'm over 30 days even though I only tried to use it in the field twice and both times had to shut down my Mac and fire up my Manager's PC and use his.

Parallels fix for this is to pay them $50 for version 10. They refuse to look at my usage time being 2 days, and only look at calendar time and literally refuse to hear the issues I'm facing which while more expensive than just shutting up and buying 10 for $50, maybe I'd be smarter to buy a small PC laptop, never worry about virus getting into my Mac via the Windows/Parallels virtual partition.

But I gotta say this: I'm stunned at Parallels' insensitivity to my situation and just refusing to listing and be a tad flexible and understanding.

Oh.. wait, one manager offered me a 10% discount. Percents sound bigger than dollars, because 10% of $50 is a whopping $5. A cup of coffee and donut.

I've never experienced a company as ridged and insensitive as Parallels in my 35 years computing. They are horrible when it comes to customer relations and care in my experience. I wish I didn 't need a Windows program but I do.

JronMasteR

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Switzerland
I completely agree. Every year you have to buy a very high price for the upgrade.
I bought the upgrade again this year, which turned out the be a mistake. I have a Windows 8 virtual machine which was working great with P9... After the upgrade to P10, the virtual machine is laggy and I also having graphical, visual issues.
Existing customers are not treated fairly at all. I have 2 licences, one for my Mac Pro and one for my MBP. I usually try to get the full version from OWC which is much cheaper for my than buying the upgrade through Parallels... For me the upgrade is 70$ here...

This is a total ripoff

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Same here, I’m on PD8, currently running Mavericks/10.9, and I’m planning on updating to PD10 (for Yosemite/10.10), but I’ve had PD8 through two major OSX releases for the upgrade price. So $49 over 2 years isn’t too bad really.

I’m assuming you paid $49? I recall some occasional better deals for the upgrade on previous versions (usually advertised during PD startup), in fact, I may have scored the upgrade I mentioned above for $29 and not $49!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.