Parallels, I am new and kind of shocked + Internet question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Roryta, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Roryta macrumors newbie

Hi all

I bought my 1st ever macbook today, with Parallels and A Bamboo tablet..

Am feeling sorta overwhelmed with this thing.. it's all new to me and am very tired.. so that's not helping.. am not frustrated or anything like that.. it's just that there's a lot to learn.. and am trying to learn as much as i can in the shortest period..

so Anyway.. I got the Parallels and I was kinda shocked as I thought it came with the Windows xp or vista.. I never ever bought windows OS Cds.. My previous PC's always came with them already.. so this is all new territory..

So, does this mean that I have to buy a new Windows OS CD to use it on my Mac book.. ah the Irony in that..!!

could someone explain this to me..

ah.. i am going to be posting some more questions later on.. depending on the next application i install.. god help me..

since am posting this.. I have one more question about the macbook..
    Whenever I leave the macbook untouched for a few minutes, the screen turns black, and the wireless disconnects.. is that actually what happens.. is there a way to make it STOP doing that.. would that change if I were to use my wire instead of the wireless..

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Open System preferences->Energy
    System Preferences comes on your dock, in the Apple menu from the top left and you can search for it using Spotlight in the top right. In Energy you can choose the preferences for screen dimming.

Concerning XP, I recommend buying an OEM copy from NewEgg :)

Good luck with the switch...

3. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I'm afraid that, yes, you must purchase a copy of windows.

Parallels would be much more expensive if it came with windows. Parallels just creates a "virtual computer" for other OSs to run in - including windows would be a waste of money for people who wished to run Linux for example. Plus - there are several versions of windows.

My advice would be to get XP - you can probably get it cheaply off ebay or you can get an OEM copy at a decent price with any piece of hardware. It'll certainly be cheaper than Vista and will run better on your MB.

You can change energy saving preference in the energy saving part of system preferences.

Post again if you want me to elaborate further :)

Edit: Beaten to it!

4. Roryta thread starter macrumors newbie

This is very Ironic. lol.. never having to ever buy Windows.. and i've been a windows user for nothing less than 10 years or so.. lol.. and on my 1st day of using a macbook, I realize that I have to buy a windows CD!! this is very funny..

and thanx.. I got the system preference thingy worked out..

I just remembered something.. on my PC.. I used the the ctrl C/ ctrl v to copy and paste.. and ctrl A to select all.. is there something for mac???

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

command + a = select all
    command + c = copy
    command + v = paste

(command is to the right/left of the spacebar)

6. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

A good rule of thumb is to substitute COMMAND (the apple key - just left and right of spacebar) for CTRL

COMMAND + C = copy

COMMAND + V = paste

Edit: That's it, I give up! :)

7. Roryta thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG.. i figure that out all on my own.. hehehehe

this is cool.. kind of..

sun. what's with ur edits :S..??? lol

8. Roryta thread starter macrumors newbie

what the hell.. will everything I download be saved on my desktop... how do i get rid of that!!!

so far it's only Microsoft messenger and google earth r on the desktop.. very annoying..

9. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

No, if you took some time to look into Safari preferences, you'd discover that on the very first tab (General) you find a nice drop-down that allows you to pick the destination for the downloads... it is described as "Save downloaded files to:"

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

perhaps this will help you understand those icons a bit more. if you're using leopard, your downloads will go to a downloads folder in your home folder, and will have a 'stack' on the right handed side of the dock.

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Well you did purchase XP before, it was just included in the price of the Dell/HP etc.

Unless you built your own PC and pirated it...

12. Cudadown macrumors regular

And no one here can or will recommend you download a pirated copy of windows xp with sp2. That would not be wise or even allowed im sure.:)

13. Roryta thread starter macrumors newbie

hahaha,, i really don't wanna mess this mac up.. so far it's legit.. and I have the money to buy it. that's not a problem ;)

all my life i always knew where to get what i need from.. whether it was legit or not.. but this is a new world.. and I am scared cuz i don't have an anti virus program.. i know i know mac has that in it anyway.. but still the idea of it is different..

ah.. this is taking me forever to learn.. am used to knowing it all in 2 minutes.. it's been TWO days.. lol..!

I have now finished installing Mac Office 2008. and I can't wait to use it.. I just found this link that'll show me how to transfer my outlook calendar and contacts file onto entourage.. if I still don't know how to do it. i'll come on here..

I still haven't figured out how to get rid of the applications or programs that get saved on my desktop.. why cant they just be saved to my documents or applications or something..

PS: please do not post here with ur "know it all" tones.. like "obviously this is what you do" or "if you took the time to look around" ..
    OBVIOUSLY i am here to ask questions cuz it's easier.. I could spend a whole week just staring at my laptop trying to find where is everything, or i could come here, ask a question and get my answer and save a lot of time.. so don't make this unpleasant..

14. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Congrats on the new Mac and Bamboo tablet. I just picked up a Bamboo yesterday and I really like it (though it's going to take a while to get used to using it).

As far as learning the ins and outs of OS X, you really owe it to yourself to pick up David Pogue's Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual. It's hands-down the best OS X guide for newcomers. It's an easy read and loaded with tons of information.

15. Roryta thread starter macrumors newbie

hey kudos buddy on the bamboo,, i still didnt open it.. lol.. am trying to get the hang of the laptop 1st.. lol.. getting in all my previous applications and all..

I will keep an eye out for the guide for sure.. Thanx :)

16. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

You have already received a reply! Anyway, yep, you have to install XP or Vista at first to run Parallels! I've known it, because I'm going to buy Mac and run Wind on it too... Share your experience after having loaded Parallels on mac! It's interesting for me!!!

17. skwij macrumors 6502

The applications you've downloaded, are they dmg files? If so, just open them. THEN, from the window that opens, DRAG the application icon into your APPLICATIONS folder. Run the app from the applications folder to be sure you've installed it properly.

If it does, you've installed it properly, and can now just trash the dmg file and the window that opened when opening the dmg.

HERE, I've taken some screenshots to show what I mean:

Opening the dmg will give a window like this:

[​IMG]

Once you've dragged the app to APPLICATIONS, you can then eject the image, either via Finder:
    [​IMG]

or by right clicking and selecting "eject"
    [​IMG]

Once that's done, just trash the dmg, or store it somewhere. I have a folder called "Backups" where I store dmgs, just in case I have to reinstall something at a later date.

[​IMG]

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

19. akm3 macrumors 68020

Oh you bought windows, count on it. You just didn't buy it separately. Theoretically you could transfer your old computers windows license to your new computer, but you still wouldn't have a disk that would allow that to work (it is probably an OEM special copy that will only run on the computer it came with)

I read once (mostly because of MS Office) that MS makes more $$$ on each Mac sold than Apple does.

20. Roryta thread starter macrumors newbie

yea.. i guess..

I just never had to think of the windows operating system.. it was always there..

oh well..I am buying one this week..

21. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

Share your experience after having run new operating system!

22. Roryta thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for that..
    I actually figured it out while playing with my macbook..

Thanx again