Parents Call Cops to Stop Kids From Handing Out Banned Book

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 1, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://gawker.com/parents-call-cops-to-stop-kids-from-handing-out-banned-1569491566

I have not read the book, so I don't know what is "Anti-Christian" about it, no clue either as to why they would object to "masturbation" being mentioned.

there was something positive from this

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Parents do have their rules, but I find it interesting that some parents think the police will help them enforce their own personal rules for their children. So when your kid does eat all of his peas, call in police reinforcements!! ;)

3. elistan macrumors 6502a

Nice.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Funny thing is back when I was a kid, they tried to ban Mark Twain books because they contained racial slurs. Mark Twain, arguably the greatest American author of all time, and they wanted to ban his books.:rolleyes: You can't please them all.:p I'd bet these same parents would object to some fishing books I've read because they teaches you how to be a "master baiter.":eek::D

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I agree it is pretty crazy for parents to call police to try to enforce parental/school rules.

I went to a catholic grade school and high school and we read the following books which I guess are now banned from schools. :confused:

The Catcher in the Rye
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Lord of the Flies
    Of Mice and Men
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    Fahrenheit 451
    The Grapes of Wrath

I'm surprised Green Eggs 'n Ham did not make the list yet

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I can't believe those books are banned. That's crazy :(.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if that was true I would have had wigs on both of mine while growing up :eek:

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, I want my kids to grow up to be as smart and open minded as I am, I guess it only makes sense that these parents want their kids to grow up to be as stupid and ignorant as they are.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

IT is your duty as a parent to raise your kids as you see fit, then again those people are living in their own private Idaho

11. chown33 macrumors 604

"The Catcher in the Rye" is an interesting case:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_censorship_in_the_United_States#Specific_cases
    Between 1961 and 1982, The Catcher in the Rye was the most censored book in high schools and libraries in the United States.[19] In 1981 it was both the most censored book and the second most taught book in public schools in the United States.[20] ...​

I was surprised to see "Flowers for Algernon" on that list. I read it in 7th grade, and it was the first story I'd read where I literally had tears in my eyes by the ending.

And I'm with edk99 on his list: every one of them we read in school. Fahrenheit 451 I'd read earlier, because I was a big SF reader.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Wow.. and with the exception of Huckleberry Finn, each one of those I read in High school; Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mockingbird my junior year, the rest my senior year. Hell, we were even able to watch the movie, in class, my junior year!

The way Ted Cruz has been acting, you'd think that Green Eggs 'n Ham was on the banned list; it says a lot when even Congress can't get the lessons out of that book right.

Flowers for Algernon? bloody hell! That was 7th grade required reading for me! Either I'm getting old, or we are seriously dumbing down our children.

Probably both (and cool it with the old jokes! :p )

BL.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Aside of Lord of the Flies, I read all in school. Most of them in middle school.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Read all of them except F451 and there was zero controversy on any of them.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I think it is pretty safe to say that a lot of the banning of these books in various schools took place in the 90s.

I say that because in Omaha, we were given a choice of The Catcher in the Rye, Fahrenheit 451, or Catch-22 my senior year in high school (1992). I do distinctly remember there being a lot of political talk by the likes of Jesse Helms about trying to go back to 'traditional family values' around that time as well; probably due to shows like Murphy Brown, The Real World: San Francisco, and others coming out.

Catcher did have a lot of cursing and promiscuity in it that I remember (a main reason why a lot in my English class chose that book), and I'm not sure on F451 or Catch-22. But if those really hold true, that would provide the basis for their respective 'controversy', especially relative to who was in charge at that time.

Some people just couldn't take it then, just like they can't take it now.

BL.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It can vary by state/district, and it's not always as you might expect. In second grade we had to read either island of the blue dolphins or the king's fifth. I was in a different district in junior high, and apparently the former was set at roughly a 6th grade reading level, which still seems oddly high. If you go title by title, I suspect you'll see some strange outliers.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    First of all, yeah, you're old. You might as well break out your bronze eagle head cane and shake it at any kids that pass by your lawn at this point.

Secondly, we are dumbing down our kids. Or rather, we're coddling them too much. When I was a kid (yeah, I'm old too), I remember regularly reading books that bothered or scared the absolute hell out of me. House of Stairs, The Pearl, A Wind in the Door, Flowers for Algernon, and....damn, who knows what else. These were all books I grabbed from my elementary school library, and I'm sure at least some of them would cause people to freak out and panic these days.

And the thing that doesn't make any sense to me is that it's mostly my generation. People born in the late 70's, early 80's. Everything aimed at kids in those days were a little weird and scary. But now we're adults, and we're having so much trouble exposing our kids to anything but the most saccharine whitewashed crap. It doesn't make any sense to me.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

F451 was straight laced other than they were burning books. I don't remember much about Catch 22 other than the implied crazyness of war.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The bold could easily be given example by the events of the past 13 years.

But I digress.

To be honest, out of all of those books, The Raven (in which Poe was 9th grade reading material for me) and Lamb to the Slaughter (10th grade material) freaked me out more than any of the books that were banned. They were just really dark and left you with a bunch of 'what if' and 'why' questions that really made you dig into human psyche, which was not a good thing to do with hormonally driven teenagers at that time.

Seriously, think about it: perils of war, cursing, promiscuity, versus murdering your spouse, getting away with it, and letting the police eat the weapon used to commit the murder.

makes you wonder..

BL.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In F451 they did not want books putting silly notions in people's heads or upsetting them. "Be a good little empty headed sheep."

21. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It's nice that these kids had such a strong reaction to a cause like reading. Gives you some hope.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

FWIW, my wife absolutely hates teaching Catcher. Not because it's got swears or sexy sexiness, but because she thinks it's a lot of self-indulgent tripe that is not accessible to kids, and there are much better choices available.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I think that's kind of the whole point of the book. When you read Catcher as a kid, you think "wow, this Holden guy is, like, an awesome nonconformist rebel spitting in the eye of society that just doesn't get it. I WANT TO BE JUST LIKE HIM". Then you grow up a bit, and realize he's just an obnoxious prick.

...and then you up and shoot a Beatle.

24. chown33 macrumors 604

I have to ask: can you list a few of those better choices?

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

catcher in the rye still ranks as one of my most hated books of all time because of that ... he was a spoiled,self centered,egoistic brat to me when i read it as a 15 year old

i still don't understand how this is a "classic" when comparing it to Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World , Lord of the Flies etc.