Parents have offered to give an iPad for Christmas

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macbook yes, Dec 20, 2011.

1. macbook yes macrumors 6502

I'm a college student and my parents have offered to give me an iPad for christmas this year. I'm very excited, but I have heard the rumors that a new iPad is coming out soon. Should I get the iPad 2, or should I ask them to hold off until the spring when the new one is supposed to come out? Will the difference between the two models be worth it?

2. matttye macrumors 601

Nobody can answer this but you and nobody knows what the next iPad will have.

If the current iPad looks good to you - get it :) with technology something better is always round the corner.

3. Hamburger macrumors regular

If I were you I would simply be grateful that your parents are in a position to give you such a wonderful gift for christmas. Enjoy the iPad 2, from Sunday onwards.

4. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Are you old enough to work? If so, I would accept the gift. Enjoy it while you save some $$$. Then, when iPad 3 comes out, upgrade! :)

5. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

I do. I have had 2 jobs since I started college, and I'm very thankful for their gift. I don't know if it would be worth it though to count on selling it in a few months.

Honestly, my parents won't be offended if I ask them to wait a few months.

6. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

If you feel that you should wait and if your parents don't mind, then, wait! Whatever decision you make, make sure you are happy with it!

7. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

There is always a better, faster, lighter Apple product around the corner. Get the iPad 2. You will not be disappointed.

8. _Matt macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm in the exact same position as you, and I've asked that they wait to get me an iPad 3. Don't make your parents spend money on year old technology.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Tell them to wait give you an iPad 3 next xmas. But when the time comes, tell them to wait and give it to you next year, then next year.

Translation: there is something new all the time. New iPad is at least 4 months away, so you can either keep waiting for something new or get something great now.

10. Akack macrumors 6502a

Just wait for iPad 3.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Tell your parents you would like to wait for the iPad 3. They can always give you a Gift Card for the iPad's value.

12. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

If I were you I would ask my parents to wait until the iPad 3 was available.

Being a parent, I would not be offended. I don't mind spending a lot of money on a gift as long as it is something that is really wanted. For the price of an iPad I would be much happier knowing you weren't planning on selling it in 3 months to get the latest model. I would rather my kid just tell me to hold off for a while and buy it later. Besides, the anticipation of waiting for the new iPad 3 will be fun.

13. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I will do this. The thing is, if it comes out in April, the semester will be ending, and I will have to wait until next year to use it for school. I just don't want to buy something now because I've heard that there are a lot of updates expected for the next iPad.

14. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Get it now. Seriously.

Three to five months' worth of use is definitely worthwhile. You can't really trust the rumors. Look at how many people postponed purchasing an iPhone 4, in anticipation of the mythical iPhone 5 with 4-inch screen. So far, Apple has released iPads in March but that does not guarantee us an iPad this upcoming March.

Take the iPad now, use and enjoy it now because now is all we have. When the new one comes out, just sell the one you're getting for Christmas and use that money towards the iPad 3. The iPad 2 (with over six months of original warrantee, mind you) will resell at a decent price. Your out-of-pocket expense will be small.

Why deprive yourself for the next 3, 4, maybe 5 months?? ;)

15. _Matt macrumors 6502

The iPad 3 is coming out in February. March the latest.

16. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Source please?

17. _Matt macrumors 6502

You must be joking. My mind. Next question.

18. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I just bought myself an iPad 2 last week and absolutely love it. Apple devices hold their resale value VERY well, so if you're at all business inclined you can make most of your money back when the new one comes out and just buy the iPad 3 in the spring.

19. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I would wait, unless you would really get some practical use out of it now. Resell values for Apple products are decent...in comparison to other manufacturers hardware, but it's still not fantastic.

20. macrat macrumors regular

+1 I do this to my two boys all the time so they can decide for themselves what they want at the Apple Store. Later they would let me know what they used the Apple Gift cards for and everybody is happy :)

21. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Yeah, just like it was a given that iPhone 5 was coming out in June, July at the latest?

Granted, I do hope it is March or April but you said it in a way that would make someone, who doesn't know any better, believe you actually have something concrete. All anyone can offer, so far, is pure speculation and "analyst" blabber.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Just ask them if they could please give you apple gift cards. That way, they have a physical gift to hand you and you can hold on to them until the 3 comes out.

23. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Ask your parents to wait two years, then you can have the iPad 4!

24. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

LOL... might as well. I fully understand the OP's argument but I'm of the mindset that all we have is today. I refuse to deny myself of anything I can have today, for tomorrow is not promised to any one of us. Especially when we're talking about 3, 4, maybe 5 months. That's too long to go on wanting for something that may or may never come.

25. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I like the idea of waiting for the iPad 3. While we can only speculate about the release date, there certainly has been a lot of gossip about a Q1 release, incline with the last two years. And I think that would make sense in the annual product launch lineup. I would just wait a few more months.