Parents keep child’s gender under wraps

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mscriv, May 25, 2011.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I thought this was an interesting article that would garner a good discussion here in the PRSI.

Parents keep child’s gender under wraps

While I understand the desire to help your children be independent individuals that are above negative influence, I think these parent's are going to a potentially dangerous extreme. We must understand and respect the process of human development. This means we connect and interact with our children in relation to where they are in their cognitive, emotional, and physical development.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

When these kids step out of the bubble in which they are being raised, there may be significant repercussions. Part of the role of parenting is to prepare children for the society they are in. And our society does distinguish between the genders. They can "just let Storm discover for him/herself what s (he) wants to be", but the child will still be male or female.

It is better to accept your child for who he/she is and support them in their endeavors.

3. Andeavor macrumors 6502

What these parents are doing here is psychologically more damaging than forcing gender roles upon their children. Children need to learn about the differences and similarities between boys and girls. And without that basic knowledge they won't be able to make an acute decision on who and what they want to be when they're older.

I understand their sentiment but society isn't even ready for same-sex parents let alone genderless roles, so until we've settled that, let the children grow up knowing what they are and let them make their own decisions once they matured.

Hippie parents just give me a headache.

4. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Problem is, you can't choose your gender. (And shouldn't try to change it either, just accept yourself for who you are.)

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

How long do they think this secret will be kept? Call me crazy, but won't everyone - like the grandparents - figure it out by looking at her????

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I think the parents are simply tired of being held down by "the man." (Or maybe it's the woman.)

8. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

This looks like a freak experiment. It would be slightly more understandable if someone had done this 40 years ago, but now it's just sick.

9. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Very interesting. While I like the idea that these parents aren't forcing their kids into any particular mold, this is going to the extreme a bit.

Sorry, but we're all biologically born into a particular gender. If you discover as you grow and develop that you identify with that gender, great! If you discover that you identify with the other gender, also great! And if you're the parents of said child who discovers that they identify with the other gender, you should support them and assist them with their (for lack of a better word) siutation.
    But I think this does a disadvantage to the kid.

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm a pretty tolerant guy but this is too ****ing weird.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

What's the big deal? I don't see why there needs to be an article written about it, but as a parent who gets a little annoyed by the excessive genderizing of infants I can understand some of the motivation. I'd prefer infant toys and clothes to be much less gender specific. Like this for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Megabloks-80p...=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1306344371&sr=1-2

What the hell? It's like if girls play with boy's blocks in all those manly primary colors they'll probably end up wearing a pants suit to their wedding, if you know what I'm saying.

Edited to say I think these parents are going way too far, but I appreciate the idea behind it to some degree.

13. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Yeah but the parents are confusing traditional gender roles/behaviors with gender itself.

14. codymac macrumors 6502

Until the first diaper is filled with poo outside the home.

I'm betting the government knows the infant's sex.

BS to me. Aside from male/female, there just isn't much to talk about regarding infants. Sure, that's not much of a conversation, but they just eliminated the only topic for it.

Knock yourself out, moonpuppies.
    :rolleyes:

15. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Not sure whether you should take this as a compliment or a criticism, but your posts consistently make me, yes, laugh out loud.

16. codymac macrumors 6502

Thanks! That's a compliment. The world needs a *lot* more laughter.
    :D

17. 184550 Guest

The idea sounds ok, in theory.

I'll bet, like others have said, that this does more harm to the child(ren) than gender roles ever would or could.

18. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't think it's appropriate for parents to use their children as little psychological experiments. Just love your kids for who they are, there's no need for such pomp over just the gender role of your child.
    This is just pretty weird...

19. MacVixen macrumors 6502

I agree. Seems as though it already is. One of the little boys seems to have already self-identified as a boy (by wanting Mom to let the teacher know), and he's not wanting to go to public school because he doesn't want questions about his gender. Sounds like the parents are pushing him to be gender-neutral when he has already possibly decided.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'm pretty sure that by age 2 people will finally know the gender. Final proof will be at puberty.

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Poor kids. I see lots of therapy for all three of them.

Is anyone else concerned about the kids being educated via "unschooling"? While I'm all for thinking outside the box letting the inmates run the asylum, so to speak, isn't the way to go, IMO.

Lethal

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

From baby's name, I can deduce that it's a girl and the parents are X-Men fanatics.:D

23. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

It's sounds like a cross between home schooling and a Montessori based educational environment. I know if I let my 6 year old's "curiosity" be the sole motivation for his learning that there would be very little education actually taking place. There sure would be a lot of video games, cartoons, and general horseplay though. :)

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

They obviously got the idea from The Story of X, published in the "Stories for Free Children" section of Ms. magazine about a third of a century ago. You get a clue to the child's gender, maybe, at the end when they ask what kind of doll it is playing with: "It's a Y!"

25. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

See, I would have guessed it's a boy and the parents are huge fans of the duo Paul & Storm. :p