Parents May Be Liable for What Their Kids Post on Facebook,

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Oct 23, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2014/10/15...what-their-kids-post-on-facebook-court-rules/

umm, the kid did that with the help of a friend & obviously w/o the knowledge of the parents. so what type of "liability" will the parents face? seems a bit over board.

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

As adults, we are responsible for the actions of our children. Maybe, just maybe the parents should have taught their child that this was wrong. After the parents were aware they did not make him take it down. The fake Facebook profile remained up for 11 months. It's right there in your own link.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I find the idea that the technologically illiterate (for shorthand, anyone over 30) can think they can control anything technologically related that their kids are involved in. We can dream of this fantasyland, but reality is starkly different.

I got around parental controls at 12.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Not sure the parents knew it was still up. What kind of "liability" will the parents be facing?

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

My daughter is 12 and her sister is 6. They know that anything going through my routers can be checked. They know that if I ever find that either has opened any type of account that I didn't specifically set up and approve, they lose electronics. They also are aware that I can monitor any messages, emails and will review phone bills.

Am I paranoid? Nope. I'm responsible. I'm also a father who has had a few teenage step-children. One of them thought she was slick enough to have a second Facebook account. That was a rough summer without her iPhone, MacBook and iPad. No internet for three months was a real torment. Also worked as a real lesson for the other kids.

----------

The girl has "damages" because of it. It has harmed her reputation and made a mockery of her. The parents were made aware that the Facebook Page had been created by their son but did not make him take it down. They've lost the lawsuit.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You know what an Internet forum is. You are far and away a "power user" as far as technologically inclined parents are concerned.

Also, have fun as they get into their mid teens, if you think you're in control you either had a very sheltered childhood or you don't recall actually being a teen. They will find a way around you.

7. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm sure they will try but Dad's the one paying the bill. I'm certainly going to review it. My DD12 knows that at any time, I can say, "Hand me your iPhone." My 17-year-old former step-daughter decided to buy her own phone. Something about her ex-step-father reviewing her calls. Remember "As long as you are under my roof?"... Mine is, "As long as I pay the bills."

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Again, I wish you the best of luck. :D

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I could send you plans for a large Faraday cage, if you're interested... :p

[​IMG]

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

ROFLMAO you need a reality check

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I work with dozens of academics, many in the computer science field, a day. I personally don't even understand the social norms of Tinder, Facebook, etc. and I'm only 23.

The world on the internet is changing far faster, and effecting social norms, far faster than anyone not born into it can fathom.

Note that I'm saying generally people over 30 don't understand all the new things popping up. This is NOT saying that no one over 30 is tuned into the current goings on online. I'm talking rule of thumb. I have 5 years of experience introducing consumers of all walks of life to new technology (Geeksquad, disaster relief in extremely poor areas of the south where I set up the wifi network for basecamp correctly, academics in every field). The thing to keep in mind is that US NERDS (you know, the ones on technology forums) are far and away more in tune with current and upcoming technology, but even that doesn't mean that we can understand the nuance and uses that a teen who has never known anything but this technology will do with it.

I didn't mean to insult you Menel, my words were clearly not elaborated on enough, but I still believe there is a stark difference in how someone young enough to be born into social networking as a norm understands and uses it, verses those who have to adapt to it. I was just old enough to be in highschool as myspace and facebook were coming around. I recognize that those kids even a couple of years younger than me are drastically different digital natives than my peers at my age. It's incredibly hard to elaborate, but talk to kids and you'll see how never NOT having the internet/social networking/whatsapp(I still don't understand that one AT ALL)/twitter has produced a radically different understanding of the world.

Note that this phenomena is NOT new, the radio generation has the same relationship to the TV generation (my parents).

Hopefully that clears things up a bit. :)

12. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

If your kid commits an act that results in damages being awarded in a lawsuit, you, as parent or guardian, will have the legal responsibility to pay. It doesn't matter if they did something you approve or disapprove of, or if you even knew about their act.

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

All that for just 1 week being grounded?! Some parents... Maybe being liable would teach them a thing or two. I am undecided on weather the parents should be liable. I don't know I'm kinda on both sides here. Mixed feeling is the best way to put it.

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

When I was a kid, the worst thing that a teacher could do was send a note home or call my father. All day long, I'd be thinking about what my father would say when I got home. What I thought the punishment would be. Every step of my 1.8 mile walk home from school, I'd be practicing telling my story, so that it didn't sound as bad as the teacher might have made it seem.

My father, a very reasonable and well educated man, would listen to my statement, then mete out a punishment. It usually involved a loss of privileges, additional chores, but most certainly a written apology to whichever teacher that I'd wronged. That apology would be detailed. It would admit what I did wrong, acknowledge my responsibility and tell what I would change going forward. If we had used computers, I'd have probably had a Word template for it.

Over the years, I was usually the one in the wrong. It always seemed that my father took the side of the teacher over me. Truthfully, he was right. I was usually in the wrong. But there were those rare occasions over the years that I wasn't in the wrong. My father would write a letter either asking for clarification of a point or outright explaining my side.

Today, it isn't the rarity any more for a parent to take the student's side. My daughter's half-sister is six and is in kindergarten. One day another child had bit her pretty hard, resulting in broken skin because she was pulled away when he did it. The child was a known biter. It had happened with several students. Yet, when I got there for the mandatory meeting, the parents were going off on the teacher and even went as far as to accuse Rosie of having done something to him to make him bite her. :eek:

Over the years, that my DD12 has been in school, I've noticed this to be the norm. If a student gets a bad grade, it's now the teacher's fault. If a student doesn't do his/her homework, it's the teacher's fault.

In this case, the parents failed. Their son put up a mocking Facebook page and they briefly grounded him. They didn't make sure the page was removed. My daughter would have had to remove that page right in front of me. Then she'd have been coming up with her apology letter.

Does anyone remember this video?

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Holy Gish Gallop batman!

Yes the parents failed here, but man, do you have to roll every anecdote and tired trope together to make that point?

[​IMG]

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Its not me you insulted.

The 30yr olds are the ones who went to college when Facebook was college users only. The 30-40yr olds are the ones who are creating the technology you are using. The massive databases, the engineers behind the POS systems, the circuit boards, the embedded chips in phones. They are the tech literate.

I was on Facebook for over a decade. But no longer, many in my generation college buddies and coworkers, now value privacy more. Also, hence the use of Apple products over Android.

They are the ones who understand technology because they had to asemble their own computers from various parts, set hardware interrupts, figure out dipswitch positions, do debug to understand.

Now its just AppStore. Kids now are just tapping away at iPhones and iPads. A problem? Reboot, then replace.

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm contributing to the conversation. You on the otherwise are just attacking me. Nothing new.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Clearly you did not read my post or I did not elaborate clearly. Is it insulting to say that the man that designs the V8 in the corvette may not be a motor head and not understand the nuance of that culture? I don't see how that notion is insulting.

I'm talking cultural and social norms that come about from the technology, not understand the circuit designs.

----------

I don't see how adding mile counts does anything for the conversation other than turn it into anecdotal nostalgia, but you're right, my attempt at humor with the picture was un-needed and I apologize. I should note that I have it hanging on my cubicle right next to me as it does describe my mentality in the office towards the likes of Microsoft :p

The Gish Gallop comment, is in direct relation to the debate, as I'm merely pointing out your tactic. That's important in a discussion.

19. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Not everyone is tech savvy. You'll definitely find more people that are on forums and we're at that point where it went from computers being a lone entity that you interacted with to write papers, play games, etc... to being a device that would connect you with the entire world. I know some parents that have a computer that barely runs and kids that have phones that are many times more capable. You also see parents who just aren't that involved in their kids lives. My girlfriend's (who is slightly older than me at 33) father doesn't use a cell phone. He had one once until it rang and scared off a deer while he was hunting. He doesn't use a computer, he doesn't have an e-mail address, and if you want to see him, you have to come to the house, call his land line, or mail him a letter. Granted, we're a bit older, but there are still people out there like this, especially the farther you get away from a major metropolitan area. I live on the edge of civilization and BFE. 1 hour East and I'm in our nation's capital. 1 hour West and I'll be in a little town probably doesn't get anything better than dial up internet. I get to see both extreme and just because you know how to control what your children consume with their technology doesn't mean that all parents do.

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Then don't give your kid the technology if you can't handle the liability. You might be able to get this covered under a good umbrella policy.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

"Well, Jeremy never learned to drive a car...or indoor plumbing for that matter. If only his parents weren't still attached to the horse & buggy and their outhouse he would have gotten the privilege of joining the modern world.

What can you do, should have chosen better parents"

:rolleyes:

22. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Is that feasible anymore though? It's hard to exist nowadays without some sort of technology. One of my GSI's in college never had a cell phone so she would take forever to email us back if we had questions (she was still cool though). Although that's different here. As a former kid who was a troublemaker, I don't think parents should be liable for everything the kid does. Looking back, I felt when my parents were /reprimanded/ for something dumb i did.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Then who should be liable for damages? Is it a "Suck it up, Buttercup" situation? If a minor causes damages, someone has to be liable.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

what "damages"?

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

This girl's reputation was harmed. People made fun of her. But any damages could result from your kids actions.