Parents of Diapered children: Best Diaper pail?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by atszyman, Feb 20, 2009.

1. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

OK, we're expecting daughter #3 in a few days and have run into the question of disposal of diapers. We had a Diaper Champ for daughters #1 & #2 but the seal started to fail about 6 months ago and it no longer contains odors well. Fine for the nearly 2 year old, we just take the diapers out when we need to but for infants the diaper frequency is much greater.

It seems to be down to the Diaper Genie II or the Diaper Dekor (The Champ went through a redesign that seems to have greatly effected its performance). Anyone with direct experience with either/both care to offer up an opinion? I'm leaning towards the Dekor at the moment, but am still pretty much on the fence.

Odor control is probably the biggest factor since while new baby diapers don't stink too badly the pail will also likely contain our nearly 2 year olds deposits as well.

2. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Those things suck. You have to buy those special replacement cartridge refills every time the bag runs out. The refills are expensive and are not sold every wear.
    Go to your local grocery store. Speak to the manager about buying one of those rolls of plastic bags. That are used in the produce department.
    They come on a big rolls of 5000. Their the perfect size to fit one diaper and tie it in a knot.
    You can also cruse your local farmers market and try to find a vendor that is willing to part with one. They go for about $20.

We used these for my Daughter. She was potty trained before the roll ran out.

3. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

We did the diaper genie. We'd stock up on refills when they went on sale. You still want to empty them daily if possible, though. Nasty business until the kid's potty trained.

4. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

We buy the clear plastic bags in bulk at Sam's Club, work great for the toddler when it's about 4-6 diapers/day, but with the baby whipping through them like that it's just a convenience to have a pail in the room. The Diaper Champ just took 13 gallon regular bags and did a good job at keeping them for a week. I've seen reviews on the Dekor where people have used standard trash bags as well, the Genie, I'm not so sold on yet, just wondering if all the new parents on the boards might have great suggestions beyond what I can read in the online reviews.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We've got the Diaper Genie II, which I think works just fine. Yes, there are refills need and they run about $5 a pop on sale, but we don't mind too much.

There's now the Diaper Genie II Elite, which is hands-free. It has a foot pedal for the lid and automatically pulls the diaper past the clamp upon closing the lid. Haven't used it, but it looks good. We're tempted to upgrade. :)