Parents of Pizza Hut robbery suspect question why employee shot, killed their son

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 3, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.wistv.com/story/33618000...led-their-son?clienttype=generic&sf40917633=1
    tragedy for sure.
    is there help for male single parents out there? shame this man resorted to crime to make ends meet.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The only tragedy is that another kid will grow up without a father, although with the decisions he made I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Either way this Pizza Hut will probably get the BLM treatment, they love criminals who get shot while being *******s.

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'm sure she would be oh so peachy had the police killed her innocent little child. Don't worry Mama you can still file your wrongful death lawsuit against Pizza Hut. They might not be quick to settle as the city however.

4. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

The parents are wondering why he got shot?
    Hmmm, I'm thinking it's because he tried to rob the place.
    We'll probably be hearing about how he was just a big huggable teddy bear, who was thinking about going back to school to get his GED.
    Sorry, zero pity here.

5. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Sad all around. I feel for the Pizza Hut employee, as they will likely be fired. The Hut is a well known gun free zone for employees and they've fired them in past in similar circumstances.

6. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Honestly, if you're robbing a place, getting shot is not out of the question.

At the same time, I'm not sure I feel comfortable with Pizza Hut employees having guns. I doubt Pizza Hut corporate feels the same way.

I'm a pharmacist, but I work in a hospital. Retail/community pharmacies have had a massive increase in robberies. I don't think any of the chain pharmacies allow pharmacists to have guns, not surprisingly. It's a liability issue. Even if I owned my own pharmacy, I'm not sure I'd bring a gun to work. It's dangerous and creates the potential for people to get hurt. If someone was robbing me for drugs, I'd just give them the drugs- they're insured. My life is not. In most of these cases the guys are after the drugs, they don't want any further conflict.

Point is, I think the safer bet is to let the guy take $300 in cash and get reimbursed by insurance. Now the guy that shot him will probably lose his job and will have to go through endless legal proceedings.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

property is not worth someone's life, that I can agree with.

9. Zenithal Suspended

Half-wits.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2016 ---
    And the $200K+ in drugs in your cage?

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

They would be insured. Your average retail pharmacy would never have $200,000 worth of narcotics on hand. That's usually all the robbers are interested in with pharmacies. The drug abuser favorite are the Oxycodone 30mg tablets that on the street got for $30+/pill but in reality cost <$.30/pill. That said, your big chain pharmacy's can easily have a $1m in inventory in their bigger stores.

12. Zenithal Suspended

But wouldn't stealing the really expensive drugs that cost a few hundred a pill be more worthwhile or am I confused end customer cost with pill value?

13. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I wouldn't think it matters what the wholesale cost of the drug is, just that it has a high potential for abuse and can command a high price on the black market.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

People typically rob pharmacies for the abusable drugs- opiate painkillers, benzodiazapines, some ADHD meds. Most of the abusable drugs wholesale cost very cheap. The super expensive drugs are primarily brand name products. You could steal a bunch of super expensive drugs, but then you'd need a market to sell it to. The market for non-narcotic drugs in the US is pretty sparse- mainly because doctors will prescribe you them and insurance covers them.

The only other drugs with a big black market are anabolic steroids and erectile dysfunction drugs. Expensive and rare chemo drugs have occasionally been stolen. I imagine some Epo drugs have also been stolen for athletic enhancement.

The Eli Lilly heist a few years back is a pretty interesting exception though. Millions of dollars of non-narcotic drugs were stolen from a warehouse in CT with the goal of selling them internationally. They stole Prozac, Cymalta, and Zyprexa- all non abusable drugs (antidepressant, antidepressant and antipsychotic respectively), with the intention to sell abroad where such drugs have a black market due to limited prescribing. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704688604575125522684707974

15. Zenithal Suspended

Now that you mention it, I remember a heist about a year ago where they'd stolen cases and cases of stuff not in the cages, and some cases of unsecured Androgel which I know goes high on the black market. I don't know the situation now, but it was very easy to buy and acquire pharmaceutical grade AAS in Eastern European countries I trekked in the 90s. You could even go to a doctor, give them a US $50 note and get a prescription for even better stuff in massive quantities or at least for a single individual. Not that I did that of course. In those days it was simple to go into an RX and get a variety of antibiotics and other materials that are more difficult to get here.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The parents have a right to know the details behind their son's death. But the only one responsible for his death was himself. Charges should not be filled against nobody unless he was shot in the back while leaving, which wasn't the case.

17. lostngone, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

18. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I believe people should be able to carry a gun anywhere they want to. Just a long as the person is carrying the gun legally. I have seen too many stories about a innocent person being killed during a robbery and the person complied to the robber's demands, but still they shot. Now I'm not saying everyone should go Dirty Harry on the would-be robbers, but if criminals had to stop and think is that person carrying or not then it might cut down on the violence. In cases such as this then the good guy stands a chance. Yes property isn't worth someone's life, but what good does it do if they shoot no matter what? It doesn't take much for a person to shoot - a sudden noise to spook an already nervous robber, say something wrong to the bad guy or the person is so high on drugs that he or she doesn't care if they shoot. Just my opinion.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

Pizza Hut employees did an excellent job.
    Kudos!

20. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

You can't fix stupid man.