Parents Under Investigation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 15, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/parents-under-investigation-for-neglect-after-108180228512.html

kind of sad we seem to be regulating just about everything. 6+ and I went to plenty of places on my own.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'll agree with that. I remember going at least 1/2 a mile from my house to a laundromat to watch older kids play Donkey Kong when I was 7-8..

.. and amazingly enough, no matter how far a kid walked away from home to play, you always... ALWAYS heard your mother or father's voice to come home.

However, playing devil's advocate, you have to wonder what the rate of child abductions was back when we were children, compared to today. If it was much/significantly lower, I can see why parents would be paranoid to let kids go off like that on their own, but not investigated for child neglect. That's a far stretch.

BL.

3. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Do as I did, and change your hunting venue to malls and video-game centers. ;)

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    For once I agree with Duck. We obsessively coddle our kids these days, and it's not healthy in the least. Unless it were a 20+ mile trek to that park, I see no issue with letting them walk there own their own.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Times sure do change. I use be out for half the day at least a mile away before I was a teen. Whether is was playing basketball, video games, or etc. As long as I told my mother what I was up to and came home on time, it wasn't a problem. And if I was riding my bike, I would sometimes end up far away.

Now 6 years old might be a little young to stray too far alone. But in the company of other kids, no problem. And kids were always outside.

In my day, we didn't have constant contact like we do now with smartphones, GPS, and etc.

7. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

at 7 I took the bus to school by myself, not a school bus but a regular pay-for-the trip bus. 5 miles bus ride.

this modern world is doomed, i tell ya.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

I remember going out, to the local playground, by myself starting the age of 4 or 5.
    From then on I spent all my afternoons roaming around by myself.
    All my friends did, too. Kids still do this here the same way.
    If what the OP is sourcing is becoming normal in the US, then it's even more far gone than I thought.

----------

I also started to take the buses to go to other parts of town at that age. Not to school, but for fun activities.
    And I grew up in one of the biggest cities here.

9. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I find under 10 to be a bit young to be walking around alone but to have them investigated? Waste.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

10 is very old.
    Most people in this thread seemed to have started much earlier.

It's an important part of experiencing freedom.
    A generation of overprotected whimps is growing up.

11. aerok, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015

aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I've had over-protective Asian parents, that might sway my opinion on this. :eek:

I also grew up in a dangerous ghetto. I was only given freedom to walk around alone at 11-12.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Yes. Under the circumstances it does seem absurd. And yet I'm not sure the authorities could have done anything different here.

Under State Law the police and family services are obligated to investigate reports of children being "abandoned" - a scenario, which apparently, given the age of the younger child, had been met. If they had failed to investigate, and something bad had happened, there would have been outrage.

What is the solution? Maybe the State statute could have been more carefully written. And hopefully, given the facts in the case, prosecutors and child welfare will not prosecute these parents.

On a larger scale, maybe it is something we as a modern society need to discuss: How to balance our need to protect children from true neglect and danger with the rights of parents to raise their children as they see fit; and for children to experience the gradual expansion of their individual freedoms without overly "coddling" them.

Big picture though: Not a tragedy.

13. samiwas macrumors 65816

I seem to have vivid memories of walking with one of my best friends quite frequently from his house to an arcade almost two miles away along and across some of Memphis' busiest streets when we were 8-11 (maybe younger). I know we walked alllll over the neighborhood, a mile or so in every direction. I'm not sure I would want my 8 year old walking 2 miles down and across busy roads these days.

I know that we lived in a house from 8-10 where I was rarely supervised and freely went out with friends around the neighborhood.

By the time 5th grade hit, I was taking the public bus home from school, walking half a mile or so to get home, and was a latch-key kid for a little bit. I also frequently rode my bike a mile and a half across busy roads to the pool.

Much more population and traffic these days though, so I'm not sure I would think the same about it.

14. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

At 7 years old I was walking to school 1.5KM away, At 5 years old I would go to the park with my big sister (7 years old) all by ourselves. I don't think I ever remember parents being at parks.

"But the law doesn’t address the outdoors, stating that a child under 8 must not be without someone 13 or older while “confined in a dwelling, building, enclosure, or motor vehicle.”

the above law was made so parents did not take off for the weekend and leave there young children alone which would be irresponsible. Having your children play in a park while you are home is not abandonment.

Kids these days have no concept of reality because society is dumbing them down. My 13 year old nephew does not know how to tie his shoes, he grew up with velcro.

15. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Huh? I remember walking alone plenty of time ages 10 and under. Also would go to the park a lot when i was 3-5 with a sibling no older than 10.

Same. I would just go out and be gone all day in the summer and come home after curfew, mom never cared as long as i told her where i was or when i was coming home. I remember at age 13 or so we would go skateboard down to the cheap theater and then ride down the middle of empty intersections afterwords at like 2AM. So peaceful.

This was less than 10 years ago too, I almost don't believe the OP story.

16. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

When I was toddler my babysitter was murdered when on her back to college car ran out if gas and was walking down the road with a gas can. Then can was found by the side off the road and the killerwasn't caught until he killed another young woman. After that I wasn't allowed out by myself until I was 12 and I lived in little rural town! This really angered my older bothers because they would always have to watch me until I could go out by myself.

Th girl was my neighbor and was real nice! She always made me popcorn before we would watch Godzila old films on TV.

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Like most of the other posters here, I had vastly more freedom. I can say though that there was little risk at the time of my getting run over. Today, I see some drivers ripping through narrow streets at dusk at 50 MPH, while others are weaving back and forth at 10 MPH looking at their smart phones. I would have to see the route from the house to the park before I declared it safe enough.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I was also given a lot of freedom as a kid. I am lucky to be alive. :eek:

I think the pother thing that play a role here is whether or not the older kid had a mobile and knew how to use it in an emergency.