Paris Attacks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by The-Real-Deal82, Nov 13, 2015.

1. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Sad news. And unfortunately if it turns out that the attacks were committed by Muslims it probably will end up creating more of a backlash against the refugees coming into Europe even if the attackers aren't connected beyond sharing the same religion.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just got an alert from Fox News saying that more than a dozen were killed. Clearly this is a fluid situation and I hope they are in error about how many were killed.

I hope they catch the perpetrators quickly and that they are punished to the fullest extent of the law.

5. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

More than two, from what I can see, following news and Twitter updates.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I've also heard there were bombings as well. Sad, sad night in Paris.

8. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Liberal and somewhat secular person, here. And I'm trying really had to be open-mined about this.

But I'm really not feeling the whole "Religion of Peace" thing. Beyond a snappy tagline, perhaps some reformation is called for?

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

What religion would you be referring to? At this point we do not know who the attackers are. If you really want to try to be open minded how about waiting until it is confirmed who is behind it before going after an entire religion. That said like I said above I wouldn't want to be a Muslim in France right now as there will be a big backlash against Muslims if the attackers turn out to be Muslims.

11. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

You're right. I jumped to a conclusion, from preliminary reporting. And I actually hope that you're right. Maybe just a few disgruntled workers with automatic weapons and IEDs?

ITV is reporting that this was a direct response to the "Jihadi John" strike.

"The "coordinated and complex" attacks in Paris appears to be a direct response to the targeted strike on notorious Islamic State militant Mohammed Emwazi - also known as "Jihadi John", an anti-terror source has told ITV News"

So I did jump the gun, based on one news source. But this does have a familiar ring to it.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Having said that, @mrkramer, unfortunately, I will be more than surprised if the attackers, or perpetrators, turn out to have been other than French Muslims.

13. Populism, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

When this turns out to be Islamic terrorism, I don't believe there will be a backlash against Muslims.

But that's because I assume that Muslims will sound a united and deafening disapproval of the terrorism.

If, on the other hand, the terrorist acts are met with a bunch of it's-wrong-but-understandable, then yeah, there might be a bit of backlash.

14. theBostonian Suspended

Right, in times of such tragedy, such unspeakably inhuman atrocities, the most important thing is to ensure that there is no backlash for the Muslim community. Indeed, the real victims here are Muslim people who endure such bigotry in Europe.

It kind of bums me out, I mean since 2012 there have been 8 terrorist attacks (off the top of my head), and all of the victims have been Muslims, while the people who instigated the violence have been white, Frenchmen and women who clearly provoked the poor Muslims into action against them. We must never lose sight of the fact that, even if 90% of the terrorist attacks are due to Islam that does not give anyone the right to tar all of Islam as some kind of violent and brutal ideology.

15. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

16. koyoot Suspended

koyoot

France24 reports that a guy with Kalashnikov shouted Allah Akbar!

And the hell started...

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Such things require a lot of planning, preparation, logistics, manpower, weapons, not to mention waiting, watching and getting everyone and everything into place.

This is not spontaneous; while this may have been triggered - as a response to the killing of 'Jihadi John' (Mr Emwazi), it could not have been planned so quickly. This has been in place for quite some time, waiting for a reason to strike. To be honest, this could only have been long in the planning, and probably waiting for an appropriately dramatic trigger.

Having said that, it is horrific that Paris has been targeted in such a brutal and vicious way for the second time this year. And this is not the end of it, unfortunately.

18. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I think you forgot to have your early morning coffee.

19. theBostonian Suspended

I think you forgot to turn on your sarcasm meter.

20. The-Real-Deal82 thread starter macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Perhaps if these terrible attacks have been carried out by Islamic extremists, then it is to take the shine off the news today Jihadi John has been killed? I think the question would be, why France again?

My friends living in Paris are safe thank goodness. France were playing Germany tonight too, so massive disruption all round. Let's hope no more innocent people are killed.

21. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

They targeted a concert hall where an American band 'The Eagles of Death metal' was playing...

[​IMG]

22. Scepticalscribe, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I will agree that Muslims should not be targeted as part of a racist backlash.

However, to argue that they are the sole victims is to miss the point. Completely.

This is because they are not the sole victims. They are both perpetrators and victims, and a great many of those who subscribe to Islam have yet to begin to contemplating confronting the contradictions crammed into tenets of their faith.

23. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

This thread won't end well.

Aside this is just awful news.

24. Ulenspiegel, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I must be tired. Seems I have to have a coffee.

25. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

They're now saying security is being tightened in NYC...