Paris gun battle, policeman and suspected gunman shot dead

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ulenspiegel, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

"One policeman has been shot dead and two others wounded in central Paris, French police say, with their suspected attacker killed by security forces...
    A car pulled up alongside a police bus just before 21:00 (19:00 GMT) and a man got out, opening fire with an automatic weapon at the bus, Mr Brandet said.
    After killing an officer, he attempted to run away while shooting at other officers, two of whom he injured, the spokesman added.
    He was then shot dead by security forces.
    According to BFMTV news channel's sources, the killer was known to the security services and had talked of wanting to kill police officers on the Telegram messaging service..."
    (BBC News)

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Sad. I'm torn. If the media keeps pushing these kinds of events, I believe more will occur due to others wanting fame. However, if they don't report it, we may not fully understand how humanity is changing.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Trump has already called out "yet another terrorist attack" about this.. He'll look like more of the idiot he already is if the French authorities don't call this a terrorist attack.

BL.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

My prayers go to the families of the victims and to the French people.
    I will leave any political analysis/controversy for tomorrow, today I will just grieve the loss of two men of law.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

USAToday sent out an alert that ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack and that the French President is convinced it was a terrorist attack.

Yeah, that Trump is a real idiot. [/sarcasm]

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Reports are one officer has passed away. I hope the other victims recover fully.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Another ISIS attack for the books, thanks Islam.

Le pen is looking more likely by the day.

8. darksithpro macrumors regular

Even if you had a handgun, not much you could do with it holstered if you where just sitting in your car with your partner and unexpectedly ambushed by someone with an assault riffle. My prayers go out to the cops :(

9. Cole Slaw, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

RIP to the officer.
    The religion of peace strikes again.

10. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Unfortunately I think it will have to get much worse before it gets better. They french will have to decide soon if they want the 6th French Republic or the first French Islamic Republic.

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Zeal is fit only for the wise, but found mostly in fools.
    Unknown

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

that trump who has ignored how many mass shootings in the us in the last week this month? all that matters if it is a terrorist attack but of Americans go crazy and shoot people no big deal.

13. darksithpro macrumors regular

What would your solution be, exactly? Remember criminals and murderers do not follow laws, so any legislation you pass will only impact law-abiding citizens, thus putting good, honest people at an even greater disadvantage to protect themselves.

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

not sure but he seems not to care if it is not a terrorist attack. I don't think trump cares unless makes his ban look justified.

15. darksithpro macrumors regular

Maybe we should focus more on what's causing these shootings "the root of the problem" rather than play partisan politics that gets us no where in the end. If your car keeps leaking oil do you blame the CEO of General Motors, Toyota, Hyundai, or BMW? Or do you take it to a good mechanic and find the root of the problem? Trump is irreverent with these specific problems. These are societal, religious and economical problems due to integration. They need to be problem solved at the core to find out exactly what is causing all of this carnage and problems.

16. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Sounds like it's time for us to bomb another hospital, school, or wedding. That'll put an end to it and show them and their friends and family for whom we will have no thoughts, prayers, or sympathy. Merica + allies FTW!

17. yaxomoxay, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

That's because dealing with terrorism is one of the most important mandates of the Administration as it often involves international subjects or entities, and terrorism has political consequences on a global scale.
    For other "regular" crimes - no less dramatic and sad - we have in place a system of local policing often handled by Muncipalities through police force, counties with sheriffs and constables, and states with the various troopers, rangers etc.
    While certainly all levels should cooperate - and the FBI is an example of it if it has jurisdiction - the forces in play to stop those other crimes is already massive and working 24/7 non-stop.

18. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Trumps policies target all muslims, not just extremists however. You only have to look at some of the hatred some Americans have towards Islam on this very thread to see it must be very tough being a Muslim in America right now. It's like the US has gone back to its pre civil rights existence. Religion isn't the cause of extremism, it's simply a crutch to support an agenda.

Trump targets 'all' in order to tackle a problem yet that approach would never be used to tackle an issue that has a wider impact and causes more deaths in America than terrorism. It's all about his popularity and this only seems to be apparent outside of your shores.

19. darksithpro macrumors regular

Last I checked white christian conservatives weren't blowing up and gunning down people at Islamic Mosques and other forms of worship. On the other hand the opposite speaks for itself...

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

They are committing crimes and murdering people though and there have been recent cases where mosques have been attacked. I think you've proven the point that America doesn't really care about murders unless they are committed by those brown people who descend from the Middle East. Trump and the your media have used this to scaremonger and direct focus away from more pressing issues in your homeland.

Over here in Europe we have a genuine problem with Islamic extremism yet we don't have racists directing the viewpoints in our media or have knee-jerk reactions to blaming all muslims. The difference being we probably encounter more muslims day to day than yourselves and realise condemnation for extremism spreads throughout their communities too!

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Well, you do have plenty of Islamophobia in Europe:

[​IMG]

Maybe it's less common to hear extreme statements about it, or people are less blunt about it, but the underlying attitudes are still there.

22. daflake macrumors 6502a

First, I agree that most Americans will knee-jerk react to hating what they simply don't understand, heck, I do it myself sometimes. However, you have to admit that the majority of terrorist activities are being committed in the name of Allah. This is the reason that this fear and hate has risen back up and let's face it, been going on for a long time. As an American I am not in hatred of Muslims, but I have grown weary of them. Why? Because of being shot at by the bad ones while many of them sit back and ignore what is happening around them. While there are a few that stand up and denounce what is happening with the extremists, most are simply ignoring the issue as not their problem and then complain when it comes to their front door. The problem with that is it becomes very easy to lump them all together. Is it hatred? I don't think so, I think it is more fear of what could happen. I helped a family in Iraq and they were some of the nicest people I have ever met, but they told me that this was not their fight. I disagree. I think that if your religion and beliefs are under attack you should stand up and help remove the problem rather than rely on others to come do it.

As for your comments about Europe, I would be cautious. I live in Germany and I know that you live in the UK and both countries are seeing a rise in racism and hate crimes. Why? Because like the USA, I believe that your countrymen are also becoming tired of the constant attacks and are looking for a group to pin it on. That group is ISIS (for now) and they are sadly, radical Muslim. The numbers of hate crimes have spiked in the UK recently and I suspect they will continue to grow as this issue continues. You may not have racists directing your viewpoints at this time, but that could very well change. One might say you are simply sticking your head in the sand.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36964916

23. Zenithal, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

Zenithal macrumors 68040

The gypsies have managed to blend in with society. It was time to find a new target group.

I'm not too surprised, though. Countries like Poland and Hungary don't forget the past when they were invaded by foreigners who wished to wreck havoc on their society. The Poles have gotten it from every angle you can think of. With the Greeks, I'd assume they simply dislike Islam because of the Turkish. Spain's issue is more historic in nature but also because the country is poverty stricken at the moment and the influx of immigrants, especially in large groups, places an even bigger strain on their economic balance sheet.

Personally, and I'm being serious and unorthodox here, give these migrants some opium or whatever. Let them relax a bit and have a nice long discussion with the natives. History has proven that conversation between groups over alcohol or other drugs works, to a point.

24. Scepticalscribe, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd go even further and argue that economic policies may have unforeseen political outcomes.

The rise of globalisation and the sort of predatory capitalism that has led to the erosion of jobs - permanent jobs, stable jobs, secure jobs, pensionable jobs, the sort of jobs that gave a guaranteed and reasonable income, some sort of status and a respectable identity as well as a predictable career path, - has meant the growth of an underclass of alienated young men, who feel that they have no stake in the society in which they live.

Add to this resentments caused by the perception of racial, ethnic - or indeed, - religious discrimination, - and you may end up with something of a toxic mix.

To such young men, a work world of casual labour, dead-end jobs, zero contract jobs, or part-time or contract jobs, or drifting along into a life of petty criminality, jihadism may supply a direction and focus and identity and purpose to otherwise dead end lives in that vast class of alienated young men who have fallen between the cracks and are not integrated into - and feel they have no stake in - the societies they end up seeking to destroy.

People with secure, reasonably well paid, permanent (pensionable) jobs rarely end up as terrorists.

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

Do only white people count?

I guess all other colours are regressive are they?