Park police arrest couple for handing out fliers in protest

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by moonman239, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Since the article was essentially the story told by the guy who allegedly had the problems, i'm just wondering if there was anything more to the story.

I don't know, so I'm not challenging his description...just wondering.

In the same vein, the site linked was not exactly an objective, disinterested site. Still not disagreeing...just would like to hear more about the story.

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Distributing or sell printed material or demonstrating on national park land has been an issue of dispute for some years. Last I remember, about 2010 there was a court decision regarding the issue that basically allow groups of 25 or fewer to engage in this sort of "1st Amendment" activity without the need for a permit.

But the last time I spoke with a NPS employee about this sort of thing, that worker claimed a permit was be needed regardless of group size, but he wasn't sure where you'd go to get the permit. This in turn left me with the impression that getting accurate info on the subject would be rather difficult.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

"Guess what? Handing out fliers in protest of our national debt and how the Federal Reserve finances it will get you arrested. First amendment rights? Nope, not unless you push causes Obama thinks is okay."

This is where I stopped..

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Reagan coalition dot com. Reagan couldn't win a primary in the Republican Party today.

5. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

6. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

They're like those aggressive, insane LaRouchies that plague the DC metro.

Oh, thanks for the flyer, into the trash it goes.

7. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

I wonder if the employee knows about the ruling.

I think the assigned judge will have these two released, using the Supreme Court ruling as a precedent.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Took the words right out of my mouth. That was where I stopped too.

9. pdjudd macrumors 601

Well if you always take the words of people who were arrested as gospel, you might come to that conclusion. Me? I am in favor of not taking the arrested at their word just in case they are guilty and want to make themselves out to look like victims who are being persecuted.

I am not saying that is the case, but it is possible - and given the sites name, I am not all that willing to take things at their word. Like Shrink said, it doesn't look very objective.