Parking Across Spaces

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Drivers that take multiple spaces especially near the front of a restaurant... Do they irk you? Have you ever been tempted to take action, like this guy did?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who wouldn't be irked by *******s who park like that?

Since I started driving cars that are monthly mortgage payments, I park in the back of parking lots and get far fewer dings on my car. Also the added benefit of a little more exercise.

3. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Back when I had my 2002 Ford Thunderbird, I was careful with my parking. I'd always make sure to not park next to two door automobiles, SUVs or trucks. I always tried to park out farther in the parking lot usually at an end. If I had to park next to someone, I parked on their passenger side, if possible. But I didn't park across spaces.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It doesn't annoy me more than the douchebags who park in front of my garage at my apartment complex because there isn't a parking spot near their apartment......

But it doesn't excuse parking like that either. I park my car far out whenever possible or choose a spot next to a curb so it reduces the chance of getting dings since only one car is next to me. Who else loves the people who choose to park next to you when you park in the middle of no where with plenty of parking spots to choose, but still do it anyway?

5. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I lived in a townhouse for a while and used to have this problem. I bought a used pallet jack and two blocks of wood. When I found my driveway blocked, I'd slide the pallet jack under the vehicle and move it. The road was on a hill so it was easy to do. I wasn't picky how I left the car, usually hanging in the traffic lane. It would get ticketed, booted or towed more times than not.

That drives me crazy too... Whole dang parking lot is open and you pick the spot next to me?

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What drives me crazy is the notion that everyone on the road thinks you can read their mind when they turn without turning signals. ;)

7. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Hence the reason that I purchased an inexpensive mirror camera for my primary vehicle.

8. samiwas Suspended

I absolutely despise when people do this, especially in busy parking lots. I've seen people park diagonally across four spaces. It's a freaking car, people.

What annoys me more, however, is people who are "just getting something quick" in the supermarket and park in the driveway right in front of the store, even if there are spots nearby.

What annoys me even more than that, is sitting behind someone who is waiting for someone to finish packing their car and back out of a space, while there is an open spot two spaces further from the store.

My townhome complex used to be a nightmare of parking douchebaggery. It's a long boulevard-style street with center parking, and turn-around spots every couple of hundred feet. At one point, there's a 90˚ bend, and a couple of intersections. There were days when every spot was filled, every turnaround was blocked, the 90˚*bend had cars parked in it, the intersections had cars parked in them, the grass...everywhere. No idea where the hell all these people were. I live near the front of the neighborhood on the outbound side, and would sometimes have to drive all the way to the back and turn around to come back to my house. The HOA finally started enforcing parking regulations, and magically, all these cars went away. What do you know: no one was using their garage, and instead were parking in intersections.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

This rage is nothing new! YouPark like an ******* and GeekBeat Bad Parking Cards.

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I have a habit of writing notes kindly telling the person what a douche they are and leaving them under the windshield wiper.

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

This attitude is also part of the problem. People who have no problem banging their door into your car will often retort that when you confront them for damaging your car.

People who do care about their car do this because others have no regard for other peoples property.

12. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm trying to imagine how you "kindly" write that someone is a "douche". ;)

13. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

There are no moderators in a parking lot. ;)

14. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

No time outs for name calling in a parking lot... :D

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

They guy in the video broke the window of a car that was blocking other cars from leaving, not taking up two spaces. So are you implying that people who take up two spaces should have their cars vandalized? Not really apples to apples. Regarding people who take up two spaces to prevent dings on their car, they should be towed imo.

16. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

He broke a window? Really, did you watch the same video that I did? He parked a Jeep next to the other guy's Corvette. He even left enough room that the guy could get in the driver's side.

Please, show me the vandalism. No, I do not support vandalizing a vehicle nor have I said that I do.

17. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

My guess is that Huntn watched another video that was proposed by utube after watching the 1st one.

Kinda funny and most likely taken in Australia or so (right side steering).

18. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You are probably right. I'm sure he saw the wrong video some how.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I suspect this was my error. I clicked on your link briefly saw a Vette parked sideways and then I guess another video popped up of a car double parked where a window was broken to move it. Apologies for my misunderstanding. Is using my iPad an adequate excuse?
    :eek:

20. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

No problem, apology accepted. The Jeep guy did something harmless that got the Vette driver's attention. I think I'd have parked the Jeep a bit closer so that he'd have to crawl over from the right side but that is just me.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I used to drive, but I don't any more. When I did drive in the US, people who drove sports cars and straddled spaces like this used to enrage me. Talk about a sense of misplaced entitlement. The same applies for prats who park illegally in disabled spaces (my father was confided to a wheel chair for 15 years)....

These days I live in the UK and walk or take the bus. The number of complete ***** who park in the middle of bus lanes or in sections of the road marked for bus stops is truly appalling. Quite apart from anything, blocking bus stops prevents buses from servicing people who are disabled in spite of the fact the buses are equipped to do so provided they can reach the kerb.

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

How often does this really happen? I live in an urban area and I don't believe I've ever seen such an outrageous example of bad just-because-I-own-a-nice-sportscar parking like this. I see Teslas, Lambos, Vettes, etc, and they are always parked properly (and mostly in the less-dense areas of the lot.)

Parking like that screams, "Key me!"

23. samiwas Suspended

I see this all the time. All. The. Time. Sometimes even with no-so-nice cars. Some people are just d-bags.

24. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

But I bet you don't use turn signals when changing lanes on the expressway. Those who live in glass house shouldn't throw stones.

By the way I am just joshing you. ;)

25. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

My driving would shock you. I actually have a mirror cam. I'm the one that drives the speed limit, and actually makes proper lane changes. Us boring people that drive a Prius.

I see these parking issues all the time. Often the cars aren't all that nice.