Parkland, FL massacre will guarantee Republican loss 2018

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Feb 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Parkland, FL massacre will guarantee Republican loss 2018.
    (Purely an opinion of mine)

Parkland is a conservative stronghold now fiercely motivated against guns (unlike Vegas where the crowd was from different parts, cannot be from a strong organization, and some in the Country Western crowd accepts the risks, from statements made).

There is a strong desire even by conservatives for better gun control laws, and that is only growing.
    If the Republicans do not act to make controls, you will see a migration of support going to the Democrats.

If Republicans do make gun control laws, you will see a similar loss of support by gun advocates.

I predict to keep Republican support, there will be gun laws enacted since gun supports will never vote Democratic.

Either way, it will be Republican blood bath, and Trump will likely loose 6% of his already small core base.

Side note about local gun politics in FL.

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Damned if they do, damned if they don’t?
    I think they have something to gain by getting on board with tougher and better enforced gun laws.

3. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

All we have to do is point to Chicago and Baltimore. Parkland is a poor example as law enforcement time and time again failed to stop the shooter when they had a chance.

4. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Sure many failed to stop Cruz, but in the end nearly everyone is focusing on the guns (which is not the place to focus IMHO).

IOW, your post is of no comfort to conservatives that Republicans will loose badly in 2018.

5. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

If anything this is going to be THE wedge issue that turns out the GOP base.

Wait until the anonymous campaign mailers go out, the country is going to be flooded with “gun grabber” alerts.

6. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Don't forget your disclaimer: Pure opinion. Besides Trump was suppose to lose.

7. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

His chances of winning grew as the election got closer. I feel like people don't remember or just ignore that. I

8. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

They why post a reply at all??
    You are just worried the Trumps house of cards will collapse, that is why you are replied.

9. 0007776 Suspended

Yep, most likely this will be completely forgotten by the election. And if not it will be the issue that inspires GOP voters who would be inclined to stay at home because they aren’t happy with Trump to actually come out so they can protect their right to have guns.

10. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

You can legally buy guns in Chicago.

11. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

It not about Trump. It seems you are saying they WILL lose rather than you THINK they will. Elections are not won on single issues.

12. 0007776 Suspended

A lot of the time they are. Trump won on the single issue that he wasn’t Clinton. Often Republicans win on the single issue of abortion. It’s less common for Democrats to win on single issues, but I’m sure it happens too

13. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Only for the last 8 years though. The city had an almost 30 year ban on firearms from 1982 to 2010. Even when no one in the city could protect themselves legally, you had a bunch of gangs running the streets, killing each other. Cops didn't do **** to protect those neighborhoods. How could they?

14. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Trump won because he campaigned on the issues, Hilary lost because she campaigned on she wasn't Trump.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There was a ******** of #VegasStrong stuff in Vegas when I was there in early December. The biggest community advertising I have ever seen.

16. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I doubt it. Think about it in another way. How high does the body count have to be for the GOP to change their “this isn’t the right time to discuss gun policy” policy? The Vegas shooting’s body county wasn’t high enough.

17. 0007776 Suspended

If by campaigning on the issues you mean talking about his penis size, bashing veterans, and taking both sides of every other issue then sure.

18. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Reverting to semantics as a last resort does not help your argument.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To be fair Trump did campaign to #MAGA. The fact that he’s done nothing to advance that since getting into office is a different argument.

20. 0007776 Suspended

But he never defined what that meant, so I'm not sure that it is really much of an issue to say he campaigned on.

21. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Yeah, Trump never mentioned Hillary.

22. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

Can we at least agree they were both awful candidates?

23. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Hilary relied solely on how bad Trump was and very little on what she would do to solve issues. Because with Hilary we can look at her past as a politician which didn't fare well with solving the issues.

While Trump still mentioned Hilary he gave his solutions to the many issues.

24. PracticalMac, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

This but one of many, and one of the key ones.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2018 ---
    Thanks for that observation.

Why is Parkland have stronger response than Vegas?
    Question, not comment.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Vegas is a den of inequity and Parkland is a school. That said I wonder if pissing off the entertainment capital of the USA will have worse long term consequences.