Parkland officer arrested

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by raqball, Jun 4, 2019.

1. raqball macrumors 68000

Good... I hope he serves some time...

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/...0190604-247rpiefs5abpjkv43jgdlayhi-story.html

*snip*

Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony announced Tuesday that the embattled school resource officer who was at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on the day of the school massacre has been arrested and fired for neglect of duty.

Scot Peterson, 56, had been nationally heckled and vilified for failing to confront the former student who gunned down and killed 17 students and staff at the Parkland school on Feb. 14, 2018.

Peterson has been booked into the Broward Main Jail on 11 criminal charges, including child neglect, culpable negligence and perjury.

2. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Enjoy your attempt at retirement, cowarD.

3. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I am not familiar with Florida sentencing guidelines but hopefully he does some time and not just presumptive probation...

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/...lOTNzpYNSdFl_zaM5yrL-KWqZUrjsvrLJawSxF5sBexKc
    this will get nowhere, hell he just might sue back.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/...ot-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

5. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

6. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Sorry but this is stupid. Is he a coward, yes. Should he be fired, yes. But putting your life on the line for others is not a legal requirement. This won’t go anywhere.

7. pl1984 macrumors 68020

I hope he doesn't. This reminds me of the Good Samaritan Law in the final episode of Seinfeld.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Also he probably got scared. Gross incompetence yes, criminal no.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

due to our stupid laws I bet he turns around sues and "wins"

10. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Hell likely serve no time. Police are not legally required to “help.” He’s a coward POS, though. Should be fired and shamed.

11. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I agree it won't go anywhere. It almost seems like posturing by the authorities. No way can this charge stick.

12. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

Florida law (Rules of Criminal Procedure and Civil procedure) including sentencing guidelines are available free to the public. Online. Just research and then you can say are familiar with them.

13. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

What’s the point of arming police if they’re not required to “help” when citizens need them most.

Kind of sinks the “only police should have guns” argument.

14. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Not really all that interested or I would have already done so... I think the only shot they have is a plea deal or a conviction on the perjury charge....

Either way, I'd assume no jail time... Sad because I'd like to see him sit in a cell..

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Check, and check. We should be done, then.

16. Zenithal macrumors 604

I can't be the only one who was thrown off by his name. There was a guy about 14 years back who killed his wife and unborn child who had the same name, albeit his name was Scott, and not this "Scot" nonsense.

17. lostngone, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

This was a gun free zone. The State/City striped teachers, Parents, Employees of their constitutional rights.
    The responsibility was 100% on them to protect those people and they failed. I would say he isn’t the only one that should be serving time.

18. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Can you imagine it.

20. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I'm in no way for this guy in what he did, but he will likely win on appeal due to Supreme Court ruling. They are instead trying to prosecute him as a care giver or some such rather than a school resource officer in order to get around the laws/statutes.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, the shooter exercised his Constitutional right, and 17 people died. Apparently good guys with guns don't always stop the bad guy.

I feel sorry for this officer. He reported for duty to work in a school and wound up in a war zone. Not everybody reacts well to that kind of danger. The real villain was the shooter. I wonder if some of the bile directed at the officer is because his actions did not conform to the pro-gun lobby's 'good guys with guns' BS. He is a walking inconvenient truth.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I’m don’t see theses charges other than perjury sticking.

23. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Please show me where in the U.S.
    Constitution where it says you have the Right to kill?

24. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I do not feel sorry for the officer and I really hope he gets some slammer time.. If he is a coward and knew he was a coward then perhaps he chose the wrong profession to begin with.....

25. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

The right to bear arms, not the right to commit 1st degree murder.

If he any qualms about protecting children if it actually happened, he never accepted the position of school resource officer. It was his main job and messed up big time. I guess he thought a school shooter would never happen, collected his paycheck and make up lies to cover himself.

Because he was not a good guy with a gun, but a coward collecting a paycheck, children be damned.