Parkland Teen Survivors Speak Out And Demand Action at Capitol

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 21, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

OK I’m sick of these kids already. And really sick of the notion that if you don’t agree with their beliefs you want to see kids die. Or that they deserve to be heard and their points are valid but any criticism is unwarranted because they’re just kids. This isn’t hyperbole, this is all over social media. It’s complete BS.

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

And others are tired of thought and prayers that are all over social media so I guess everyone is going to have just deal with it.

4. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

My daughter wanted to go to a rally in DC today organized by some Montgomery County, Maryland high school students. I talked her out of it (primarily because no one from her school was involved in planning it and I had no idea if anyone would actually show up). After seeing some video from the rally, I regret not letting her go. I'm thrilled to see kids getting involved like this.

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I encourage you to get over being sick of the future generation wanting something better for themselves than the mess they are so far inheriting.

I can't even really process your comment. You're sick of today's youth fighting for change and not accepting the status quo?

BS is the complete failure of Congress for YEARS doing almost nothing to prevent these tragedies. On second thought - it's ok for you to be sick over them. Many people are sick over the needless deaths each incident brings.

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yes I’m sick of the grandstanding. And sick of kids getting more attention than they deserve because they’re kids.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

They're getting attention because they were the recent "victims" of yet another shooting. Grandstanding? No - it's calls throwing the gauntlet down. Are you also sick of the thousands of teens demonstrating today all over Florida? Is that grandstanding too?

These are teens approaching voting age. That makes them extremely relevant to elected officials.

8. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

What about the hashtags and facebook overlays? Why leave that out? Because it's "your side" doing it? I see no problem with someone who believes in a higher power saying that they're thinking about the people fallen as well as their families. What issue do you have with it? I already know you'll spin this so I won't be responding to your response. It's rhetorical.

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I'll respond. Because thoughts and prayers do not stop bullets. They help with the grieving. But that's not doing anything to prevent the future deaths. It's not taking action. It's trying to sideline a conversation.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't social media beyond forums but it doesn't change that everyone needs to get over it. Thoughts and prayers posts are as annoying to some and kids stumping are to other and everyone runs to they're favorite place to wine about it. On this issue we're on the same side

11. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Wow. I'm having a hard time finding the words to respond to your post. What are their "beliefs?" They're asking for common sense gun laws to prevent further massacres. Given what they went through, they more than deserve to be heard. So we've reached the point now in our society where a normal human response to a massacre is labeled as BS? Personally, I am so proud of these kids - they're passionate, articulate and intelligent.

And by the way, yes - if you disagree with sensible guns laws such as exist in all other western democracies then you are in favor of policies that result in these continuing massacres. I'm sick of hearing excuses for not passing such laws as that is the true BS - just politicians giving their donors whatever they want.

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Reminders of our bass ackwards priorities make for uncomfortable viewing I suppose.

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

How dare the WH host a bunch of High School students and let them speak their minds :/

15. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

So how much do these kids "deserve" in your opinion? Quantify it, please, if you can.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Just wow, dude. See below.

I'll wait for him to reply on this, but his post and his first response remind me of a song.

Dyer's Eve. Final track off of ... And Justice For All.

Not only is this song about teenage rebellion, but it is also a response to those who think that children and what they think does not matter; that children only have one singular purpose: as a display trophy so we can congratulate the parents on their bedroom prowess.

Wise man, that James Hetfield. And how dare he and other children use their voice in a positive way to affect the change they want in a world they will inherit from us, who completely screwed it up for them.

BL.

17. Fancuku macrumors 65816

Fancuku

I wonder which ones are the crisis actors. They are usually easy to spot especially after they open their mouths.

18. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Right and people on social media are complaining because people here aren’t obsessively focused on banning guns. Liberals are fine with students speaking out so long as they agree with what they’re saying.

19. Altis macrumors 68030

What's interesting is the sides seem to flip depending on what the tragedy is.

When it's a truck of peace or a concert explosion, suddenly it's "Thoughts and prayers", "don't politicize this!", etc. We can't infringe on the rights of people who haven't done anything, right?

Same thing with pitbull bans... the same people who want guns banned don't want pitbulls banned and blame the owners of bad dogs (even though many cases are just the dog going nutty on their own accord). Suddenly those people don't want their rights infringed.

Yet the sides flip on gun control.

And I say this as someone who is in full support of our rather strict firearms laws in Canada as I think they work very well for our country. With that said, the hypocrisy for so many people on gun control in the U.S. really something.

20. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

This made me lol. I may have to steal it.

You nailed it with the "don't politicize this" comment. Liberals/democrats/progressives love to let everyone know whether it's acceptable to politicize an event, and how quickly to do so.

Personally, I look for the groups that scream at me, yelling what is ok for me to think and what's not ok for me to think, and I stand against them.

It's how Trump - unfortunately - got elected. By the screamers.

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I have no idea what you're trying to convey. Sincerely. You know my post was sarcastic right?

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The US is behind on a lot of things while that's a bad thing generally it's a good time in history to be behind. Most of the developed world has figured out solutions to a good part of societies problems and they're all a bit different with gives us opportunities to to grab the best and modify them to our needs, there's no need for us to trail blaze. The second advantage for us is we're seeing the last of the old guard, our most ardent partisans are aging out which will let the fresh blood in over the next decade.

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

There really is a tweet for everything.

24. jerwin macrumors 68020

It's a blood sacrifice to reaffirm our sacred commitment to that most precious of constitutional rights.

25. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Getting more attention than they deserve? They were just shot at by a mass-murdering gunman a few days ago. How much attention do you believe they deserve?