Parsing the Data of "We are the 99 Percent" Tumblr

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by hulugu, Oct 30, 2011.

1. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

From Mike Konczal, a fellow at the Roosevelt Institute, has used a script to compile the wants and concerns of those who posted on the We Are the 99 Percent Tumblr

Putting the data together, he makes a couple of arguments about the Occupy Wall Street movement.

First, their concerns are actionable:

But, not concerned with hand-out or free stuff:

And,

Konczal argues that the current system is flawed because of a lack of universal health care, a lack of free higher education, a bankruptcy system pitted towards the 'one percent,' and a lack of a guaranteed basic income.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

"free us from the bondage of these debts"?

Are you sure he didn't parse links from the Tea Party?

To me, the more the OWS movement is explained, the worse it gets..

Free health care, free education, and a living wage? That sure to inspire a generation of hard workers!

3. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Yeah, really. "Slave away your entire life to make somebody else richer" is so much more inspiring.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bingo. What OG said sounds very inspiring indeed. But I always laugh at the "free" thing. No one wants anything for free. We just want the method of how things are paid for changed. It has to change, or this country will sink into oblivion. No one has ever advocated free health care or free education. I'm sick of that BS line.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I own my own business (a lemonade stand) and pay for my own health care, the only person I'm trying to make rich is me. People who work for corporations- i think- are able to save more because they don't always have to pay for health care. What do you do?

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

We're already paying for it, we're just not getting it. If i could call the BBB on the government i totally would.

----------

I go to community college, which my parents pay for. Will have to take out loans for university. I work at a gym and don't make much money, don't have the time to work full time. Lucky for me my parents have enough money to pay $300 a month for my health insurance plan, otherwise i'd be SOL.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You should be covered under your parents insurance until you are 23 by existing law.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Nope, they're business owners and pay for their own individual plans as well, they don't get it through work.

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

Really. Every time I say something about universal healthcare, some righty screams at me about wanting a free handout. No, I want to PAY INTO the universal healthcare fund so that we ALL have healthcare options.

As the system stands currently, anyone can get healthcare, but if they can't pay for it (because it's ridiculously expensive in this country), the bill just gets passed onto other payers in the forms of higher premiums and higher costs. So you're paying for it anyway, whether you like it or not! If every working American was paying into a universal fund, it seems like you'd be paying less in the end.

In another forum I visit, one guy is vehemently against the idea of universal healthcare because it wouldn't create the same amount of wealth as it does today. As far as I can tell, he supports prices being high and insurance companies denying coverage so that people can get richer.

So you're actually against living wages, because they wouldn't inspire people to work hard?

And no one is asking for FREE healthcare or FREE education. Why can't you right-wingers stop feeding this BS word into everything to twist the point into your ideology??? No one is asking for free handouts...they want to work and pay their share towards them.

This do or die mentality of the right is getting old. It's like there's only black and white.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Almost every state requires health policies to cover dependent children up till 23-26 years of age. Your parents may want to check your state laws in regards to their policy.

----------

This is really a double edged sword, although I think UHC is great, it does create naive assumptions that the services are "free". The health care here isn't quite up to par with what I am used to in the states, but at least you don't have to take out a second mortgage for a surgery. Other things i have seen are longer wait times, doctors seem to want to push you out with a bottle of antibiotics quickly (prob because everyone with a sniffle decides to get it checked out), and services are slow on weekends.

When you make a doctor appointment here it's not the time the doctor will actually see you, it's when you begin to wait. I made a doctor appointment for 2:30 and expected to see the doctor at that time, 2 hours later...

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Clearly, you've forgotten what it's like in the US. It's no different.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because I'm sure all Canadian doctors are like that :rolleyes:

Sometimes my doctor is right on time, sometimes he's an hour late. Perhaps your doctor took longer with patients earlier in the day, or had an emergency he had to take care of. Or maybe your doctor just sucks at managing his time. The fact you had to wait 2 hours for your doctor is not the fault of the Canadian health care system.

13. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

UHC is not free, no one actually thinks that. But we all pay a little every month, so we can all pay a little (or a lot) less when we're actually sick.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Interestingly, this is similar to a concept called "insurance". When you privatize "insurance" and hand it over to corporations and investors, free from regulation, it becomes a matter of maximizing the ROI by minimizing outlay. When the government handles it, ROI is mostly not a concern, so more money flows through the system, doing proper good, instead of being caught up in overhead and shareholder dividends.

The arch-capitalists, however, bristle at the idea of being denied an opportunity to extract profit from something. Therefore, we are stuck with a system that takes our money and returns as little as possible.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Maybe that's the difference between rural and city service then.

----------

Yes, people actually do think this. Especially the younger generation.

16. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

It's similiar, but not really the same. Everyone pays a little for everyone else too, which is not the case (as much) with insurance. Granted, if every single tax-paying citizen got sick, it wouldn't add up. But that remains as a rhetorical thought experiment rather than an actual argument against UHC.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Pretty sure the 99% are more like the 10%.

Really poor people can't afford to go protest, they're too hungry and poor.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That's ok. The others are doing them a service. :)

19. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

They're sharing the burden like a socially just community.

Oh SNAP!

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I thought this was interesting.

11 Things the Richest Households Can Afford

But the 400 richest families can't afford to pay higher taxes :rolleyes:

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

22. hulugu thread starter macrumors 68000

hulugu

The argument isn't about affording it — Rep. John Fleming (R-LA) aside — but rather, the right has argued: it's unfair because the One Percent pay the most in taxes and most Americans don't pay any taxes at all; the poor aren't really poor; don't punish wealth, because we all have the potential to be wealthy; the poor are lazy, stupid, ineffectual, unlucky; or, you chose the wrong degree, so suck it up; something about job creators, because the vastly wealthy are just itching to start small businesses as soon as you get rid of the EPA, unions, taxes, etc.

But, the right have never argued that the rich can't afford it because they know implicitly that the richest 400 families are so rich as to make the middle-class salary look like a rounding error.

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

24. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Sounds like those OWS people are camping out in the wrong spot and should be squatting on the lawns of those rich people instead.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And you continue to miss the point. How sad.

Here's how it really goes- if we bail out the richies with our tax dollars, they damn well better invest in the USA. But hey- don't expect you to understand that. Apparently, we should give them tax breaks and everything else we have. When they fail, we should give them all our money to keep them alive and expect nothing in return, right?