macrumors G5
Original poster
May 19, 2002
Well, well....
Part of Parents' Obesity Suit Against McDonalds Revived

Mark Hamblett
New York Law Journal
01-26-2005

A federal appeals court has given parents who blamed McDonald's for their children's obesity a ray of hope for their lawsuit.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals Tuesday reinstated claims made by the parents that McDonald's violated a section of New York state's Consumer Protection Act by engaging in deceptive advertising over the health benefits of its fast food.

continued...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So McDonalds gets sued because the parents were too stupid to know that burgers and fries from ANY fast food joint are fattening and not healthy? Shouldn't there be a "common sense" law that prevents lawsuits from stupid people?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 19, 2002
JeDiBoYTJ said:
tell em to watch "Super Size Me"... nuff said
This fiasco started well before that, I think we've done several threads on it already.

Most of us though it was dead and buried, but a federal judge decided to dig up the corpulent corpse and toss it back into the food court.

Bigheadache

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
I am surprised the kids don't sue the parents for allowing them to eat MacDonalds and/or general stupidity.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Bigheadache said:
I am surprised the kids don't sue the parents for allowing them to eat MacDonalds and/or general stupidity.
Yeah, and its funny because the kids probably eat at several different fast food restaurants regularly, not just McDonalds.

One of the benefits of being Burger King (#2) instead of McDonalds (#1) --- your ass never gets sued! :p

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
JeDiBoYTJ said:
tell em to watch "Super Size Me"... nuff said
That movie is about as stupid as this lawsuit. A guy stuffs himself full of fatty food all day every day and gains a ton of weight...what's the big revelation? Why does that mystify people and make them want to give this loser an Oscar?

As for the suit, why have I not heard a single word about the parents who let their children get fat from eating too much bad food? At the very least, the parents should be jailed indefinitely for causing so much trouble in the media and legal system. It's almost scary that people are stupid enough to let their kids get sick, yet they're somehow smart enough to jump into a complex legal system and sue someone.

Common sense is now an oxymoron. :rolleyes:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The parents need to take responsibility, they are the parents. Need to teach the children that too many calories in cause obesity. That is the problem with our society, no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions. Claiming that it's someone else's fault. All the while lining the pockets of lawyers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.