Partiality of news channels (Fox, CNN etc)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by res1233, Jul 18, 2011.

1. res1233, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011

res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

It's too bad that much of what comes from CNN is either a fabrication, half truth, or outright lie. It's hilarious that people still watch them. The level of political awareness I see on the internet means this post will probably get downrated... Too bad I can't use my extension on my iPhone.

MOD EDIT

This thread is a split of this news thread because the discussion ended up being political.

2. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Let me guess... You watch Fox News?

3. jettredmont macrumors 68030

Well, CNN's a damn sight better than Fox, but they are too enamored with being "Fox Lite" to really be as credible as they once were. In the spectrum of news, Al Jazeera English is damned credible (in most cases, anyway), Fox is downright pathological, and CNN lies somewhere in between.

4. res1233, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

res1233 thread starter macrumors 65816

res1233

Recently I saw a story on CNN about how an increase in theft means the economy is improving. Need I say more? Any station willing to air something as much against common sense as that doesn't have much credibility in my view... I watch CNN every now and then to see if they have improved any, but they are still trash.

Also, a quick google search reveals what the ratings look like for various news channels: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/07/18/cable-news-ratings-for-friday-july-15-2011/98293/
    You have the right to be misinformed if you should so choose, but personally, I'd rather get the facts... Fox News gets the ratings it does for a reason. Perhaps you should watch it sometime with an open mind?

5. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

The words in bold do not belong in the same paragraph. Any organization employing, or formally employing, Bill O'Reilly, Glenn Beck, and Sarah Palin cannot be considered credible.

The fact that you put so much weight behind said organization speaks volumes about who is actually misinformed.

6. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Where's the Google +1 button when I need it?

7. res1233 thread starter macrumors 65816

res1233

Like I said... Too much ignorance on the internet. Those people get bashed often, yet they rarely ever say anything untrue, and generally apologize on the rare occasion they do. Chances are very good you don't watch them enough to know that, so your opinion is most likely invalid. The fact is CNN is far less reliable. My experience with both stations says this, as does the ratings. People prefer fox over CNN in the real world.

Also, the "facts" I was referring to was the ratings I linked.

8. ksgant, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Yeah, a link to that story so we can read it in context would be nice.

So "ratings" are a sign of quality? Interesting. So the highest quality show on TV is American Idol. Thanks for clarifying that. If you want to be "informed" you should head on over to Politifact and check out their claims and their stories that Fox gets wrong on a regular and consistent basis. But what am I saying...you'll just come back with how "biased" Politifact is. Yes, other networks get things wrong, not disputing that and yes, Fox gets things right too. But Fox really takes the cake in pundent misinformation. But hey, perhaps you should read that site with an open mind?

9. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

I don't have to keep smelling a dirty diaper to know it stinks.

Ratings do not imply journalistic integrity or unbiased commentary. The TV personalities you rely on for 'facts' belong in a traveling circus. But you may be right... They'd probably still get great ratings. I guess, then, we'd still have to believe everything they say. I mean, because of the ratings and all.

10. nerdo macrumors regular

Jerry Spring got great ratings, so you probably thought it was a real helpful therapy sessions?

BBC World if you want the actual news without the political agenda and hormonal attempt at making everything seem like wrestlemania instead of just informing people. During the Iraq war I spend a few months in a TV control room shooting a docu.
    There we got FOX, CNN, Aljazeera and BBC World and a bunch of other channels all at once. BUT in those days we also got all the life stream satellite feeds where people send the raw footage or complete newsitems. On one channel there was a pure raw feed from the military embedded journo's.

There you have the perfect view of what goes in and what every channel presents as "the truth"

fox and cnn are the biggest liars on the planet, to see how tv news is abused to brainwash a nation is sickening.

You know the big joke? Aljazeera was the only totally objective channel out there, they just reported what happened, no opinions, no over the top hysterics. Even the BBC was moderated, but thank god they tried to be objective in some british way.

fox gets high ratings for its entertainment value, not for being truthful.
    People have the attention span of an ant on steroids and 24 espressos, both cnn and fox pretend that if you don' watch NOW you'r life will be incomplete and you might DIE from a terrorist attack.

sickening gabage, both fox and cnn. They don't give you news, they give you something that makes you think you need to keep watching.

Want news? check out Aljazeera or BBC world, wat news based entertainment, sure go for fox.

Rubert Murdoch's organization, you know the owner of fox, isn't in hot water closing news papers because they are such nice guys. It is because they are a bunch of nasty mofo's who will do anything to persue their agenda.

As for news being truthful or fact based: you got to be kidding me!

There is no truth, here is the reality of TV 'news' from my personal experience working for political parties and news organizations in the last 28 years:

Politician A talks to politician B, B has his own agenda so tells A whatever he/she wants to hear. A talks to his aid who translates this into whatever A wants his people to hear, A presents this to his people who spin it into something the public wants to hear. journalists take the whole thing out of context to a point were it will make them look good. And you really think you are watching the truth? hah! Look at all the garbage that comes out of the rupert murdoch newspaper scandal. And now look at what fox and all his newspapers have been preaching about this whole mess for the past 5 years....

Nobody even knows the truth, everybody is manipulating the other to get their way..

The truth is: people watch or read news that conforms to their world view, whatever fits their worldview is what they consider to be the truth. So if you like fox, it is not because they are more truthful, but because it fits whatever sick world you live in (just kidding) But seriously, whatever you like about fox says more about you then truth or news. Because it is all just opinions based on second hand observations writted by staff who are paid to come up with something that gets people to watch. Maybe 0.0001% of news is actual first hand observation because journalists are always send to a story AFTER it has happened.

enjoy watching the news

11. res1233, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

res1233 thread starter macrumors 65816

res1233

I'm going to give this one more shot before I give up... The majority of the media is biased, with left wing agendas and the like. Fox news isn't perfect, but I'm guessing that much of what you guys take as fact from CNN is actually fiction, distorting your view of reality. Many cable news stations suffer from the same left wing bias that CNN does. The media in this country is in general very unreliable, so like I said, I understand the confusion. It is very hard to know who's telling the truth in this day and age, especially when you can't trust the press.

Edit: Actually I'll just let this thread rest... Arguing with democrats is akin to arguing with a wall, an unusually unreasonable wall that is. ;)

Edit: Before I go, here's something I googled: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN_controversies
    Enjoy.

12. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Thanks. here's something I googled: Fox News Channel Controversies

BBC Controversies

CBS Controversies

Enjoy

13. samiwas macrumors 65816

Arguing with Republicans is easy. Present them with facts, and they just quit and run away.

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Corporate media has a left wing bias?
    Ladies and Gentleman we have a live one here,or did have now he's buggered off before trying to defend his/her ludicrous statements.

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It sure does, but not for the reason you've implied.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm honestly hoping that you're joking. You think Fox News gives you facts? Really?

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think he really believe what is posting.
    Fox news is the worse of the major news media but lets one thing he is right about it all the media sucks. They stop caring about the truth a long time ago and care more about getting clicks and eyeballs reading it. Screw the truth because the truth does not sale. Scandells sells. Making a non political thing political sells.

He is right on CNN on they have done stories that have spun the truth. Take the Caraly trial. CNN is the one who made that head line news and what blew the thing up and made it very out line.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't watch news channels. I have no use for them.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

For the love of god, Fox News has always been a propaganda machine. Ailes friggin outlined the entire creation of such an entity while he was still working for Nixon.

Highlights:
    http://gawker.com/5814150

Do yourself a favor and look at the primary source documents (there are hundreds of internal memos) yourself.

But by all means, keep going on about the ignorance out there. :rolleyes:

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you are not the only one. I think I get a vast majority of my non-geeky news from here. Geeky news well I follow several tech blogs for that.

21. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Pardon my immodesty if I invoke this once again:

Any argument which brings up ratings as a substitute for quality of content is automatically a failed argument.
    Ratings and quality have little to do with each other and in fact are sometimes inversely proportional. McDonald's makes a whole lot more money than any fine restaurant in America; is that really an argument that a Big Mac is better than the finest steak at the Four Seasons? :rolleyes:

But then why am I arguing? The OP knows what he knows, right? And there's no need to learn anything more.

As for the rest of us, if you haven't seen this little tidbit already, it's interesting reading:

23. redshift1 macrumors regular

You never started the thread to argue but instead to beat a dead horse. Anyone who frequents this forum knows with certainty the same hackneyed
    political arguments will be replicated Ad nauseam.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, looking at the story, there's two sources who argue that employees, less worried about hanging on to their jobs are back to stealing and that employee theft shifts depending on the economy. It seems a little like using a groundhog to decide if winter is ending soon—in other words more augury than real—but that's what the reporter found.

Ah, the ratings argument. So, something that is nominally popular (of note Fox News only tops ratings in cable news, a rarified niche that ignores a simple truth that reruns of "Glee" beats Fox News handily) must be quality. The irony of this posted on a Mac fan site is always enjoyable.

So, you can't "trust the press" but you believe that Fox News is believable? Are you arguing that Fox News isn't part of the press or that your news source, which you just spent a few paragraphs defending is untrustworthy? Which is it?

So says the guerilla poster: hit and run.

Edit: Before I go, here's something I googled: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN_controversies
    Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

You mean this?

And, of course, there's the Dec. 2010 study from the University of Maryland which found that Fox News viewers were more likely to be "misinformed" on several specific subjects than other viewers. This isn't the first time this has been discovered.

As Stephen Colbert said, "reality has well-known liberal bias."

Of note, I'm not defender of CNN, HLN, or MSNBC (or for that matter NBC, ABC, or CBS), but to argue that Fox is not ideologically biased is to be unaware.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Except the Colbert Report is satire. Fox...well if it is satire its a very high up the chain of command inside joke.