Partition for NTFS under 1TB Fusion Drive - Late 2013 iMac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by sturtles, Jan 18, 2014.

1. sturtles macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

This is the first Mac of my life, and I'm still exploring the features... so I hope this is not a nag to the old hands on deck

I have a late 2013 iMac 27" with fusion drive, and I'm trying to get a bootcamp windows setup..

I guess the general process is to disk partition the drive for NTFS, then install with the windows 7 DVD upon boot up...

Somehow, I'm still not so sure of the details, where, I'm trying to use only the HDD space for the partition, and not affect the SSD, and also, how do I somehow get drivers for the apple hardware in windows?

The bootcamp app under launch pad is not so helpful, as it requires a windows ISO and an empty USB drive... so quite some preparation required, and I do not have those on hand atm..

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Unless you really want to totally screw up the drive on your new Mac - use Boot Camp.
    It will know what to do with your fusion drive. Boot Camp will setup the Windows partition on the hard drive - it will not support installing Windows on the flash drive part of the fusion drive.
    Boot Camp prepares your drive, and creates a partition where you will install Windows. That means that you need the Windows installer, which is where that ISO comes in. You can purchase and download the Windows install ISO direct from the Microsoft web site.
    The USB stick is needed to download the Apple support software, which includes the various drivers that you will need to make the Windows software work on your Mac.
    So, you need both a supported Windows install, and a USB volume for the Windows drivers.
    Much more info here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5639

OR - a completely different approach would be to use software that allows you to use Windows in software, and not on a separate partition at all - using software like Parallels, or VMWare Fusion. You still will need some version of Windows, but you won't be restricted to only one or two Windows versions, like you are with Boot Camp (if that's important to you)

3. sturtles thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi DeltaMac, thank you so much! That is so helpful for the details. Now let me go find a windows ISO

4. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

Another option would be if you think you would have use for it, get an external CD/DVD reader/writer and then just install Win-7 off the disk.

I picked up a LG-SP60 locally for $50.00 and it works on all my Mac's and PC's.

Jon…