Partition Layout Advice: 10.6 & Win 7 on a 120GB SSD and 1TB HD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CyCoPaTh, Sep 1, 2010.

1. CyCoPaTh macrumors newbie

In lieu of the impending arrival of my new 3.33 Hex-core Mac Pro, I could use some quick advice on how best to set up Windows 7 alongside my Snow Leopard Installation.

I have ordered a 120GB SSD and intend to have my OS X installation on it, using the stock 1TB Hard Disk for Storage etc. I would also, however, like to install boot camp and Windows 7, and am curious about the best way to lay out my drives and partitions...

Can I safely install OS X on the SSD and then have Windows on a small partition of the Hard Disk and have it boot and function correctly? Does the Windows partition need to be at the beginning of that disk or anything? ...or should i consider splitting the SSD in two for OS X and Windows...?

I only ask as I remember several years ago having lots of problems trying to dual boot different OSes on different disks and partitions...

If there was anyone else running a similar set up with OS X, Win 7 on a single SSD and Hard Disk it would be great to hear from you. I think all I need is re-assurance here !

Thanks as ever.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And yes, you can have OS X on the SSD and Windows on a partition of the hard drive. That's how I have it set up on my MacPro. 2 drives for mirrored RAID with Mac OS X only. 3rd drive partitioned in 2 for Boot Camp & storage.

3. CyCoPaTh thread starter macrumors newbie