Partitioning and Dual Booting Two Versions of OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by darbyclash34, Nov 9, 2007.

1. darbyclash34 macrumors regular

Hey everyone, first post. I just received a warranty replacement macbook pro and it shipped with tiger and had the Leopard drop-in discs. Can I partition the harddrive and install leopard on the second partition? If I do this, how will I select which partition I want to boot from at startup? I just made the switch a year and half ago and never needed to do this. Thanks for your help!

Shawn

2. darbyclash34 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry read down a few more posts and saw the exact same thread. Worst first post ever.

Shawn

3. luffx macrumors regular

I don't see why not. When booting (holding Option), it will show the bootable partitions. To tell the difference, you need to customize the name of the partitions.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You'll be able to select them using System Preferences > Startup Disk, or hold down the "opt" key on startup to select.

The "opt" key will temporarily change the boot volume - the default is set using Startup Disk. (In other words, if you use "opt" to change boot volumes, the next time you boot it will revert back to what was set in Startup Disk.)

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

No problem,just hold down the Alt key at bootup and select the OS you want,or select the OS to restart in from the startup disc section of system preferences.