Partitioning as “GUID Partition Table”

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nepentanova, Apr 4, 2010.

1. nepentanova macrumors member

Have a macbook pr 17 with bootcamp.

the osx 10.6 partition is giving errors (the black and white multi language message that tells you to hold down the power button..)

have done a permissions repair, run techtool from a boot disc, all have failed to repair.

next step is for me to reintall snow leopard, and as i have no dual layer disks or usb keys i intend to install from external usb drive using the instructions here:

http://osxdaily.com/2009/09/02/inst...or-how-to-upgrade-to-106-without-a-dvd-drive/

But how do i format the drive from within windows as boot recognisable from mac?

i have partition magic and cannot see ny option for osx extended or “GUID Partition Table” ?

any ideas please?

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

Windows doesn't support the HFS+ file system. You need to boot from the Snow Leopard installation DVD, run Disk Utility and partition the drive with it before install.

3. nepentanova thread starter macrumors member

yep, that's the normal route.

problem is i only have an image of snow leopard, and the only media i can fit the image on is an external drive - are there any 3rd party options to format a drive in the hfs+ format?

4. neteng101 macrumors 65816