Partitioning as “GUID Partition Table”

nepentanova

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Have a macbook pr 17 with bootcamp.

the osx 10.6 partition is giving errors (the black and white multi language message that tells you to hold down the power button..)

have done a permissions repair, run techtool from a boot disc, all have failed to repair.

next step is for me to reintall snow leopard, and as i have no dual layer disks or usb keys i intend to install from external usb drive using the instructions here:

http://osxdaily.com/2009/09/02/install-snow-leopard-from-external-firewire-or-usb-hard-drive-or-how-to-upgrade-to-106-without-a-dvd-drive/

But how do i format the drive from within windows as boot recognisable from mac?

i have partition magic and cannot see ny option for osx extended or “GUID Partition Table” ?

any ideas please?

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Windows doesn't support the HFS+ file system. You need to boot from the Snow Leopard installation DVD, run Disk Utility and partition the drive with it before install.

nepentanova

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
yep, that's the normal route.

problem is i only have an image of snow leopard, and the only media i can fit the image on is an external drive - are there any 3rd party options to format a drive in the hfs+ format?