Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StokeLee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Stoke-on-Trent. Midlands, UK
Ive not come across this before,

I can be just surfing the net, or watching Eye Tv, and then i'll go to check my mail, or click onto msn, or ichat or anything on my dock, and it doesnt work, itts like theres nothing there for it to click on, but the icons are there, if i click on an icon, and hold it, to bring up the options normally there, that doesnt work either, ive got hot corners set up, sometimes they work when this happens, sometimes they dont, clicking on the :apple: in the top left works, but is really slow.

So whats different - Nothing, new new accounts, no new software, no apple updates.

It takes a hard switch off to turn the mac off, and then everything is fine again, Ive repaired disk permissions, still happens. What could be wrong with my iMac? Ive not searched for this because to be honest ive no idea how to explain it.

Edit - Just had to update msn for mac, its way quicker for me to log onto msn. Ill see if it still happens.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
What are the specs of your computer? If you have a slower machine, or not enough RAM, Microsoft Messenger could cause performance issues.

Even if you have the latest and greatest machine, try giving Adium a shot. It is a tabbed instant messenger that allows you to sign into MSN, Yahoo and AIM. Its also very customizable with different themes and sound schemes. Give 'er a shot!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
So whats different - Nothing, new new accounts, no new software, no apple updates.

Are you saying this is happening in more than one user account? What apps are running when you have this problem? Do you have any system hacks installed? How about any third party hardware apart from the EyeTV? Sorry for all the questions mate, but hopefully we can get this sorted soon for you. :)

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
Did you repair Disc Permissions from the Disc Utility in the OS X DVD or Utilities folder. If you didn't do it from OS X DVD, boot up from it (Restart and hold c) and repair permissions/disk from Disc Utility.

StokeLee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Its only happened with my account, It was happening before i set up a new account for a friend who brought an ipod, but hadnt got a pc..

Ive done everything that you would consider, resetting the pram, etc, booting from the dvd's. etc etc etc.

Its still happening, I tried to only start up different pieces of software to see if it was one of them,,
but the one time i turned on my imac after a hard reboot, and i had to take a call, and then do something else for 20 mins, i came back, and it had froze... Now its only a partial freeze, programs open, i can use, i can even open new programs thanks to spotlight, but its like the dock, and finder freeze

StokeLee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2005
I ended up talking to Apple Support, went through lots of possible fixes. In the end I backed up my music and photos and reinstalled OS X. Now everything is running normally, Well except that safari crashes that often I hardly use it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.