Pass code timeout

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, May 10, 2012.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

For those of you that have a pass code setup on your phone what do you have the timeout set to?

I've never had a pass code on any of my phones. I've had every iPhone an multiple droids. None of the were locked. But I have been leaving my phone siting out recently and decided to protect my data. I put the timeout at 5 minutes be because I thought if I was having a text conversation it would be annoying to put the code in every time. But my friends are all telling me it should be immediate.

Opinions?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I have it set to 15 minutes. I'm pretty sure that if I ever lost my phone it will be more than 15 minutes after I last touched it. I'm not the type to put something down and instantly forget about it.

But maybe that's just me. All I know is, I feel safe with 15 minutes and it's also not that annoying to me.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I don't have passcode set to mine. I never let anyone touch my phone and it is always in my pocket. Kind of annoying IMO to passcode lock it having to unlock it everytime, even though you have the option to set it to 1 hour.

4. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I've been leaving it at my desk while it's charging. I am only like 10 feet away but I can't see my desk sometimes.

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

A passcode on an iPhone is imperitive, IMO. iPhones get lost, and they are the #1 stolen phone on the market. With a passcode set, your data is protected, and you might get more time with "find my phone" since it cannot be disabled in settings.

It was really annoying at first, and it still is. But not as much now. I have mine set to 5 minutes.

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I use a passcode because of some confidential emails, and frankly I don't want people snooping around my messages and pictures of my family. However, I LOVE the passcode delay. Mine is set for 5 min and I've found that to be a perfect balance between security and not being annoyed by having to put in the code every time I use the phone.
    But regardless of what we say on here or what your friends are saying, you should see what best fits your needs and go with that. Simple answer :p

7. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Having it set I immediate is very annoying. 5 minutes does seem to be the happy medium

8. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

If I'm traveling, I'll set it to immediate. Here the concern is that I'll either lose it or have it stolen.

If I know I'll be at home for an extended period of time, I'll turn it off or a fairly high timeout.

9. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm having trouble getting used to using a pass code. Did anyone else have issues getting used to it