Passbook is worthless right now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twowinns, Sep 22, 2012.

1. twowinns macrumors member

Apple may get this fixed eventually, but I think Passbook sucks.

When I can ever get connected to the App Store, there are only a few passes available, and Starbucks isn't one of them. I can't figure out how to get the passes loaded into the app. Can't get Fandango to display in the list of passes.

If this is supposed to be the next greatest thing, they have failed for now.

2. richpuer macrumors 6502

same here. except whenever i connect to app store it says CANNOT CONNECT TO ITUNES. i cant even view itunes via passbook

3. Dmich116 macrumors member

Once you buy a ticket on Fandango you have the option to send it to Passbook. I did this yesterday and the only problem is the movie theater wasn't able to scan it from passbook because it was "too small".

4. note235 macrumors 6502a

5. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I was able to buy fandango tickets on my phone last night and load them into passbook. Add to passbook was an option on the screen after the purchase.

6. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

so do 400K other apps that are not made for 4" screen yet. It will take some time , just be patient.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

They need to get more stores and airlines to sign up. Starbucks will be online by the end of the month. That said, they need to start somewhere. Even Google Wallet hasn't gained much traction, so Passbook has as good a chance as anything else.

I'm assuming Apple will fix this in 6.0.1, but a temporary fix is to change the date of your phone by 1 year in Settings, log back into Passbook, click on App Store, and change the date back.

8. twowinns thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I'll try it for tonight's movie. I hope my theater can scan it.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I added Walgreens for the rewards program. I go there often enough, might as well.

Loaded AA as well, but guess you can't send a ticket to it.....well, until you have a ticket? Lol. I'll be heading to NYC in a couple of weeks so I'll try it then.

10. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

Not sure if this is helpful, but this website let's you create your own thing to put in passbook, just do it in Safari on your phone.

http://www.passsource.com/

11. twowinns thread starter macrumors member

I tried this workaround and it didn't work. You're right about giving it some time. I just assumed Starbucks would be available immediately, especially with Apple promoting them so much in Passbook demos.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, the workaround works for some but not for others. Obviously it will need to be fixed.

Between the iOS 6 Maps issue, the scuffing controversy, and Passbook, it's clear that Apple has been experiencing some difficulties lately. They've been down this road before (MobileMe, iPhone 4 antenna), so I think they'll get it resolved.

13. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I still cannot get Passbook to load the App Store, even with the date trick.

14. CDutch macrumors regular

Starbucks is launching their Passbook app next month.

15. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Give it time, folks. Remember Google Wallet? :D

Passbook is just taking off. It's going to be some time before all the pieces are in place. Once they are, I think it's going to be fantastic. Some of the things will be pretty useless to me (theaters around here, for example, do not support mobile ticketing) but things will come around.

16. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Starbucks said passbook integration was coming later this month.

17. twowinns thread starter macrumors member

Well, I used Fandango for movie tickets last night, and it worked flawlessly. It may be hard to connect to iTunes through the app and there aren't many businesses yet, but I think it has promise.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

same, used fandango and it worked great!

19. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

What a horrible company to let their app fail on launch. I want to boycott them to teach them a lesson.

20. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Anybody got target to work? Still waiting on a text they are suppose to send to complete activation......

21. matttye macrumors 601

Kinda agree but I'm sure it'll become more useful as more companies implement it.

When you click the app store button, are the apps listed there the only apps that support Passbook right now? If so there's only four apps available in the UK!

22. pbrooks macrumors regular

pbrooks

Tried Target on Friday night. Worked fine for me. The text arrived in <10 seconds. The problem is, now I have a passbook Target coupon for stupid crap that I will never buy.

23. itsaustinh macrumors member

I got the target one to work. it added a selection of coupons.

24. dukedvl macrumors member

You can click on the i in the bottom right corner and then click on the trash can in the upper left to get rid of it.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm afraid there's not much to it until they introduce the iPhone 5S. If you check out http://www.apple.com/iphone/ios/ Passbook isn't even mentioned on the front page as one of "Amazing features and built-in apps."

It's obviously released now for enhancement in the future and to give 3rd party apps time to get in the game.