Passbook = NFC in new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by furam90, Jun 11, 2012.

1. furam90 macrumors regular

Anyone else think this feature will be expanded greatly when the new iPhone comes out?

It's basically going to act as a virtual wallet, need to scan tickets? Use your iPhone's passbook with NFC. Buy groceries? Credit card in passbook. Checking into airport? Again use the passbook.

I thought WWDC was pretty underwhelming, but I think this feature means that the iPhone announcement will be a lot better and will have some pretty cool features.

Thoughts?

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'm really hoping Apple uses NFC in the new iPhone. Probably will announce it with the new iPhone

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't think so; NFC will not come to the iPhone, it's lackluster and only has a few places and I think one bank supporting the android devices w/ NFC. I think this is a technology we as a whole will skip until something better or more efficient comes along.
    Passbok is great if it works w/ all my rewards & points card that I have in the car which are like 20.

4. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

nfc isn't needed for the passbook feature.

Not only can tickets and passes be easily managed by unique barcodes or QR codes, but most airports and movie theaters do *not* have NFC equipment (but they do have barcode scanners).

Google uses NFC because a unique piece of hardware is necessary as an added layer security. Dealing with money and credit cards and operating as a payment platform (which Google Wallet does) is a little different than simply keeping track of a purchased ticket.

If your phone/account gets hacked with passbook then you're out a ticket. To fix things, you show up to the plane/movie theater and prove who you are.

If your phone/account gets hacked via google wallet then you are out a bunch of money. Far more work to prove that you didn't make those purchases and try to recoup funds from fraudulent transaction.

The google wallet system uses Mastercard Paypass, which is a lot more widespread than you think.

I just activated Google wallet 2 weeks ago. Pretty cool to type in my PIN and lay my phone on the reader at mcdonald's.

5. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Although it does seem more plausible now that before, I still don't think they will use NFC in the iPhone. Ever. If they do, cool for the people that want it, I have nothing against it even if I won't personally use it. The tech/infrastructure for NFC just isn't there. A lot of people on this forum think it is because of the area they live in, but it's a big country and an even bigger world. Sometimes going from state to state or even county to county is like going through a time warp. The infrastructure is not there, making it a pretty niche feature. If they wanted to pull the trigger on unavailable features they would have implemented 4G two years ago.

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wait so you say many places don't have NFC and then you say you'll be surprised how many places have MasterCard paypass. Paypass is NFC

7. SprSynJn Guest

Those saying its not a feature that's needed or will be used, you have to remember that other countries utilize the feature on a daily basis, most notably Japan. It's a feature that's been in standard phones for almost a decade. It's about time the feature comes to the iPhone.

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Highly likely that the two will be integrated into the next phone.

9. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I would say something is up, because otherwise Passbook is way to useless as iOS for Apple to have created it.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Banks not what needs it. It is going to be credit card companies jumping on board and it seems they are all looking into it. What will stop it is Apple demanding some rather large cut to use it on the phone.

I know that they are all working on one to try to make it work with android.

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I hope so! I utilize the PayPass feature a lot on my card, and there are actually quite a few places I shop at that has PayPass readers (Home Depot, Old Navy, Circle K, Best Buy, 7-11, etc).

For those who don't want it: It is better to have a feature and not use it, than to want a feature and not have it....I want it! My WF Visa card already has Visa PayWave, and if I can see the balance on my account after I tap, that would be even better.

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

That's because when Apple does it, everyone will jump on board.

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Call me old fashioned but I think you should have to sign your name when using a credit card. That receipt is a legal statement of liability to pay the company that is issuing you credit. I think a big part of the credit card debt problem is a result from these kinds of lax policies. Given, the CC companies let it all slide because in the end it usually means more money for them.

I can't tell you how many people I encounter on a daily basis that don't understand that your name has to be on the card you are trying to use.

Like I said I'm not opposed to NFC, I know people want it. It's just not something I will use.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Count on it. Companies will be lining up by the hundreds to support an Apple NFC network.

Apple = Money

Android = LOL. Want proof...Google Wallet...

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Funny because I just scribble. It resembles nothing of my signature. Especially on those electronic pad things that don't work well anyway. Also: http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/

16. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Sign when using your credit card? Not your card? No problem, now what does my signature look like *flips the card around* oh, that's what it looks like. *signs card*

Which is silly really. It's like asking for proof of identity by asking what the name is on the card. I don't even know how this system came to be.

17. furam90 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a friend who just writes CHECK ID in the signature spot on the card. It's kind of inconvenient to pull put your ID everytime, but it does prevent theft.

18. tdmac macrumors 6502

NFC on the next iPhone makes perfect sense. Passbook shows cool uses for those without need for NFC, at this point. But when I saw it it seems obvious that they are going for a full wallet.

NFC to the new iPhone this fall is to the Siri surprise last fall on the iPhone 4S hardware.

I can't see Apple waiting another year for NFC. While adoption here isn't the same as overseas, it has been increasing allot lately.

This isn't an issue about Apple making a cut either. Don't think Apple gets paid anything for transactions done through another credit card via NFC with the device. The way Apple would make $$ is to get the NFC terminals or some other method to process transactions through your iTunes store account. Then it probably shares a percentage with the card company.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

People that say "nowehre has NFC" likely don't have an understanding of what NFC actually is. As has been mentioned, "paypass" is an NFC technology. I think my first encounter with it was at mobil gas ten years ago (yes, a decade ago). I see them all over the place and we travel from the midwest to the west coast multiple times a year.

20. cynics macrumors G3

Google wallet isn't supported. MasterCard pay pass and visa pay wave are which is supported by google wallet.

.......……

I think a lot of people don't think google wallet is supported because they don't have it so they aren't looking for it.

It's not area based its business based. Sure if your town doesn't have McDolands, assortment of gas stations, Home Depot, Best Buy, American eagle, gap, OfficeMax, champs, guess, walgreen's, 7-11, old navy, macy's, even some vending machines (all off the top of my head btw) so etc etc. Then yes you'll find Google wallet not very useful. But then again that sounds like a cash only kind of town.

21. junkyard macrumors newbie

junkyard

What kind of security would be available for NFC functionality? Would the person making a purchase need to input a PIN or password prior to the purchase going through? If so, there is the potential for it to be more secure than a physical credit card.

In my experience, it seems that there are fewer measures being taken to confirm that a person using a credit card is the owner of that card. As an example, I recently found out that my credit card company is flagging all purchases at Walmart over a certain dollar amount as potential fraud. The reason? Walmart isn't doing a very good job of checking the ID of a person paying with a credit card.

22. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I have to actually verify signatures. If your card is signed and then you scribble, I don't let it go through. Where I work we are constantly confronted with credit card scams and theft, so we take it kind of seriously. I know there are places that do the total opposite, I'm just saying when you are trying to pay for something and the business wants to verify your signature, they are doing that for your own protection, not just to be inconvenient. I had my identity stolen once and almost 10 years later I am still finding errors on my credit report.

23. cynics macrumors G3

Yes, use the NFC on the receiver and you are asked for a PIN.

Youre right. Credit card security is a joke. I've been a discover member since 2009 and I use the card exclusively (cash if they don't take discover) and I still haven't signed the back. Once I was asked for ID at a 7-11 of all places but that's it. A PIN is an excellent security addition vs the old swipe and go.

24. trouble747 macrumors 6502

The card bearer really just needs to have the permission of the cardholder, although surely many businesses would still choose not to accept it.

25. badmac78 macrumors 6502

NFC vs Square

Apple makes a big fuss over the # of credit cards it has through iTunes. This is done for a reason (potentially show they have the critical mass to execute NFC). Why would I want to use NFC instead of Square? I look at the 2-3 main places I would use NFC (groceries, target, home depot) and I don't see any existing NFC systems setup. If Apple is going to require a cut of anything purchased through their NFC system, then there goes the neighborhood on prices.