Passcode forgot and iPhone is locked out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kityniss, Sep 7, 2014.

1. kityniss, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

kityniss macrumors newbie

I forgot my passcode and tried to log in too many times - now I'm completely locked out. The bad thing is that the backup files were gone as my computer was crashed and got wiped in last week.

iPhone 4S with iOS 7.1.2

Edit: I should be more clear on the post as it caused some misunderstanding:

I knew extactly how to restore my iPhone from iTunes or iCloud, but I don't want to get my data deleted after restore, So I want to :
    1. Get into the iPhone and bypass the code
    2. Keep the data as much as possbile

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Take it to apple with your proof of purchase and see if they'll help you.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If you've forgotten your passcode you can do one of two things.

- Sync with a computer that the phone is currently being synced with
    - Erase it and start again

4. kityniss, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

kityniss thread starter macrumors newbie

My city hasn't an Apple retail store yet:(. anway, thanks for the quick response. Still waiting if anyone has more suggestions.

Edit: Finally got a suggestion from my friend who has previously worked at a local workshop for gadgets. For anyone who has the same problem as me, you can check this tutorial on how to unlock forgotten lock screen passcode on iPhone to remove the restrictions without iTunes or iCloud.

5. coregamer, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

coregamer macrumors newbie

(please read the bottom of the post if you have find my iphone enabled- try that method first)

If you´ve forgotten the passcode that you use to unlock your phone daily (like 1234 passcode) : Then do a DFU restore like this :

1.plug your iPhone into PC
    2. depending on if your iphone is turned on or off:

a) if you have your iphone plugged in and is turned off the way to get it to dfu mode is to :

HOLD POWER BUTTON for 3 seconds, after 3 seconds COMBINE IT WITH HOLDING THE HOME BUTTON AT THE SAME TIME, after 10 seconds (exactly) of holding them together KEEP HOLIND HOME BUTTON ONLY (about 5-15seconds, till your pc detects it as dfu device-in windows once you hear the beep sound-you can release)

b) if your phone is NOT OFF(is on) :

HOLD POWERBUTTON AND HOME BUTTON TOGETHER FOR 10 seconds
    then release power button and keep HOLDING ONLY HOME button until your PC detects it in DFU mode.

3. start iTunes or download it if you don´t have it
    4. download the software for your device
    http://ipswdownloader.com/

for your iphone 4s its here http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS7.1/031-4816.20140627.XQbdQ/iPhone4,1_7.1.2_11D257_Restore.ipsw

5. if you are on windows , go to itunes and CLICK ON RESTORE WHILE HOLDING THE (left) SHIFT KEY AND SELECT YOUR DOWNLOADED FILE, YOUR IPHONE WILL CERTAINLY BEGIN TO RESTORE TO ORIGINAL SETTINGS WITH NO PASSCODE

Mac: Alt/Option+Click on Restore

6. Your iPhone should now be restored to factory settings.

7. IF IT NOW ASKS YOU FOR APPLE ID PASSWORD(which you might have forgotten and lost access to your email adress) : You Have to contact your email provider(google, by calling their number and asking for additional information, but yahoo is better with their support, as you can´t contact google support via email, i didn´t manage to do it even via phone and it drained my credit lol) and if requested scan your ID or passport to verify your identity of your account and therefore get acess to it. Try looking into your saved passwords in your browser to see if there is any stored password, you might even try running Recuva software(i´m not advertising -or any other software that scans your pc for deleted files and find the password files for your browser- try searching on google on what the password file is named for each browser) - this might be a lenghty process

You can try reseting your apple id password if you still have acess to your email (or even if not) here: https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid
    Or contacting Apple support via email(search for it) as this is probably the better option as they can help more easily.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Additionally you might try going into www.icloud.com and into Find My iPhone and try setting your iPhone to lost mode or setting the passcode that way (if you have FindMyiPhone enabled of course) and then back into normal mode again after you put in new pass
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yup if it's actually your phone then DFU and restore it in iTunes. It will ask for your Apple ID and password but of course you know that.

7. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

I am SO glad Apple came out with Activation lock to prevent thieves from simply restoring phones anymore :D

8. coregamer macrumors newbie

it also means you can´t get them for much cheaper aswell! (if they are stolen) this is ruining the used phones selling business....

9. nep61 macrumors 6502

When I first read the post, I thought... What an idiot- can't remember a 4-digit code? Are you kidding me !

Then I thought-- I know its only a 4 digit code, but with all the other Passwords, user names etc that we all have to use everyday, I can see how you'd make multiple attempts at "getting in" ...

I can't begin to count how many times I have hit "FORGOT MY PASSWORD" on this forum, and dozens of other sites and apps.... technology is supposed to make our lives simpler right?
    Good Luck, hope it goes well !

10. designeers macrumors newbie

then release power button and keep HOLDING ONLY HOME button until your PC detects it in DFU mode.[​IMG]

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Trying too many times doesn't lock you out. If it's set to wipe after 10, well then, it wiped and you should be restoring from your iCloud Backup or restoring as new by now.

You should give back the stolen iPhone.

12. coregamer macrumors newbie

i guess this person is a bot writing hidden images in his posts...

anyway
    wow i spent atleast 30 minutes writing that tutorial! ridiculous! (if it is a stolen phone!)

13. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If the reason you could get them cheaper is that they were stolen, then that is a business that needs ruining.

14. coregamer macrumors newbie

i think that at our school people were joking that somebody might have bought an iphone 4 (rumor was: stolen) for cheap...

Isn´t it good for poor people to be able to buy cheap things? If they are stolen once, how often does it happent that they are returned?? (if they are not found????-for example battery/sim remove which happens 90% of time)

NOW WHEN THEY ARE STOLEN:THEY ARE BEING SOLD AS APPLE ID LOCKED!!!
    WHY NOT MAKE DEVICES FUNCTIONING, istead of BEING LOCKED? AND THEREFORE A PERFECTLY WORKING PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY IS UNUSABLE simply because of anti theft and Apple ID locks?

Just by the way: it is recommended to let the thief use your phone as much as possible in order to maximize the chances of returning it to the original user. As long as they don´t get hold of any private data.

15. kityniss thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the helpful answer. Much appreciated.

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Stop yelling.

Working as intended.
    Buyer beware, they should check what they buy before buying it.
    If its locked, and seller cant unlock, call the police.

17. kityniss thread starter macrumors newbie

I agreed but it was not my case here. :D

18. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Owning an iPhone is not a human right, if you can't afford one, then you can't have one. You don't have the right to steal someone else's. If you knowingly buy stolen property, you are stealing.
    If you steal my phone I want you to have zero enjoyment out of it. I want you to have a useless brick.

19. kityniss thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd appreciated everyone who tries to help. I don't know what's going on with Macrumor community. Why you insist or suggest my phone was a stolen one? Is that kind of funny?

20. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Keeping prices up for legit sellers - not a bad thing.

21. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

To the OP. I don't think what you want is possible. That is by design not a bug. All your data will probably be stored in iCloud though so it shouldn't be difficult to redownload. Though it will take time.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, erase and restore and get the data back from iCloud (since it seems that was being used for backup).

----------

If something is stolen why not leaving it perfectly functional so that whoever stole it can benefit from it? Seriously? Yes people definitely want for others to benefit from having their phone stolen. :rolleyes:

23. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

I disagree with your logic, iCloud lets you send a message to the lost phone and then the person who has found it can get in contact if they really wish to return the phone back.

Why on earth would I want a thief or even an innocent person who just happened to find my phone to access ANY OF MY DATA private or not.

I would rather the phone become IMEI blocked and unusable than let some moron profit from my misery.

24. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Passcode forgot and iPhone is locked out

I doubt it has ruined anything. I still see used iPhones for sale. Caveat venditor.

25. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

By people who bought them new.