Passenger mistakes professor doing math for terrorist, and gets kicked off of flight

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, May 9, 2016.

1. bradl, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And well deserved at that. Here's what xenophobia gets us, everyone.

EDIT: forgot to include the sources.

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/professors-airplane-math-didnt-equal-airplane-threat/
    http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article76309097.html

[​IMG]

And yes, he should be blackboarded. He's a member of the terrorist group Al Gebra.

BL.

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    What did I tell you! The average person can't tell the difference between a Muslim and a Mexican with a hipster beard!

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Apparently now "suspicious" means "doing anything I don't immediately understand".

Soon we'll all have to use one of these to communicate on airplanes to not freak out the yokels:

[​IMG]

4. 617aircav Suspended

And if he was a Muslim, so what.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Admit it, most teachers handing out math problems as homework are viewed as terrorist :p

6. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Can't argue with that one. The only things he has in his arsenal are weapons of math instruction. ;)

BL.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Very good!

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The Islamic Terrorist says MOOOOOOOO.

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

He'd still be guilty of nothing but doing mathwork, so it wouldn't matter.

This serves as an excellent example as to why profiling doesn't work.

11. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Well, when you think about it, because of how radical they were, Euclid, Einstein, Babbage, Lovelace, and Pythagoras would all be on the No Fly List, let alone a terrorist watch list - hypotenusely speaking, of course. ;)

Either way, WashPo has an update on this, with comments from AAL:

The last line bears repeating, because it sure as hell holds true, even to most of us in this thread:

In this true parable of 2016 I see another worrisome lesson, albeit one also possibly relevant to Trump’s appeal: That in America today, the only thing more terrifying than foreigners is…math.

Am I right, or am I right? :p

BL.

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Mousse, you're unsanitary! You took the words right out of my mouth!

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I am supposed to be studying like my life depended on it right now, but... ****... so now apparently any person with slightly dark skin will be accused of terrorism? How long until we see an Alaskan flight get turned back for having an Eskimo on board?

14. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

We will never run out of stupid Americans maybe we can make money exporting them.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I've been asked if I'm Muslim on a number of the occasions. Usually in the summer when I metamorphasize from a pasty white to olive skinned to a brown person, especially if I have some stubble growing. People ask if I'm Italian. Other than that most people between my name and asthetics can readily ID me as a Jew. To be fair I have am 1/8 native Israeli, so I have some Arab blood.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Huh.. I've been mistaken for Jewish many many times. They just assume my name must be Israeli or something.

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I suppose I have a Mediterranean look. Dark hair, larger nose, etc. Some ethnic Jews and Italians look similar. Historically there was a big migration of Jews from the Middle East, through Italy, up to central Europe and beyond. My great grandmother and her family were from what is now Israel and therefore was an "Arab Jew". I was saying I am 1/8th Arab/Middle Eastern. I'm not sure if your American but we like to calculate our heritage. Ashkenazi (European - German/Polish/Russian) generally look different than Mizrahi (middle eastern) who have darker skin. So I was saying given my propensity to tan very darkly, if spens enough time in the sun, I start to look more Arab.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Mathematics has always been scary to some people. Strange diagrams and symbols:

“The good Christian should beware of mathematicians. The danger already exists that mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and confine man in the bonds of Hell.”

― Augustine of Hippo

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

It actually took me a while to figure out what that is NT, so you're a terrorist now.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Pretty much, and this is why America can't have nice things anymore.

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

Goes to show you that a man can score high in math, yet have no common sense when it comes to politics. In that realm, he's a doofus that had to get his Trump dig in once he had the spotlight. Okay, go away, little man. Back to ignominy of looking dangerous while playing A Beautiful Mind in a jet. Did anyone see the actual scribblings? Tell me, was it Sudoku, or Tic Tac To?

22. thekev, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Care to explain? Math makes heavy use of greek letters with a few exceptions (eg integral sign is derived from an exaggerated S). This may be unfamiliar to some people, but it isn't something with a known association to terrorism.

For one example, here's the standard symbol for a gradient vector in mathematics.
    Here's a fairly common operation for classification purposes. it's known as logistic regression. Note the use of scary symbols. I certainly don't want to shame the person who reported this guy for their ignorance, but the professor didn't do anything wrong.

I am American. I have a big nose (well not that big but not like a typical caucasian) and light tan. I think people see a very Middle Eastern name, yet I don't look very Arab. In fact no one Middle Eastern suspects it unless they know my name.

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

In this case, it was the frightening equations and symbols. People with slightly dark skin should stick to writing in Simple English.

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I saw that symbol and the Greek word on Wikipedia, "harp" isn't the translation I expected.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Meanwhile, during Europe's Dark Ages, people from the Middle East kept the tradition of mathematical thought alive. Hence our Arabic numerals. (OK, people from the Indian subcontinent had something to do with it as well. ;)).