Password for SMS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dollyicious, Dec 15, 2011.

1. dollyicious macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I got the iPhone 4S and I can't wait till a jailbreak is released!

Seems like it will be ages away though :(:(:(

In the mean time, I really need to apply a password to protect my SMS (one of the main reasons I jailbroke my previous iPhone).

Does an app for password-protecting SMS on an unjailbroken iPhone exist?

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, you need JB to install anything other than the Messages SMS app.

3. dollyicious thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh no I thought so :( I know this has been asked a billion times but how long do you reckon the jailbreak for 4S is released? Right now I feel like my phone is incomplete lol

4. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

cant you just password protect the entire phone?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I have no idea ... I don't follow the JB community anymore.

6. dollyicious thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing about a phone lock is that if someone plays around with the phone then I have to unlock it for them (which is fine) but when they're in, it leaves my SMS open to them to look through which is annoying

7. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

This doesn't make any sense to me; why would you need to JUST password protect text messages?

As someone else has mentioned -- why not just password protect the whole phone?

8. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

then don't let someone else play with your phone. problem solved.

9. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Thank you.

NOBODY is 'playing around' with my phone, who isn't 'allowed' to see everything on it. Seems pretty simple to me . . . but what do I know.

10. dollyicious thread starter macrumors newbie

I have messages that are private and while i dont mind friends/family looking at my shiny new iphone and playing with it's features, im not ok with them reading my messages. I dont know why you have a problem understanding that - its not exactly weird to want to lock your messages for privacy. Im not exactly going to say to a friend 'no you cant see my phone'.

11. Selena Gomez macrumors member

This has been asked thousands of times, there there have been thousands of incidents of people not knowing the answer.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If someone is likely to just look around and read through messages, there is no way I'd let them use my phone unsupervised.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, if I have something on the phone I don't want them to see, then "no, you can't see my phone" is a perfectly reasonable answer. That goes for pictures, emails, movies, etc.

14. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

STOP -- you're making too much sense!!

15. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

Dolly,

quit sexting or post pics :)

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I hate it when that happens... :rolleyes:

17. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I think he was trying to be funny :D kinda failed... btw fully agree with the response though, or just put a passcode on the entire phone.

18. dollyicious thread starter macrumors newbie

lol. Well unfortunately for me it's not that easy to say no to certain people in my family who ask to see my phone as they'll take it anyway. And even if that wasn't an issue, i dont always keep my phone on my person 24 hours a day so the thought of not having a pin for my messages doesnt sit well. And i'm not that stingy - i just got an expensive new phone that's very much a novelty for most folk... so to turn round and say 'no you cant see it's amazing features and revel in it's awesomeness because effectively i dont trust you' is a bit mean!

Simple answer to my question is no, that's all I needed to know.

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then you need to lock it.

It's just a phone - with a lot of personal and sensitive data on it. Nothing wrong with privacy.

20. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

^^^ This! There's only one person I trust with my phone......but he already knows everything that's going to be in there!

21. dollyicious thread starter macrumors newbie

22. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Here is my idea:

Person: "Can I see your phone? I want to behold its awesomness."
    You: "Sure, no problem, I'd just ask that you don't read my email or text messages."
    Person: "Of course!"

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Yet another thread where someone gets bashed for asking for functionality that Apple didn't already add.

Let's say your girlfriend shoots you a "naughty" text while your friend is messing with your phone. I trust my friend, but don't necessarily want that popping up in his face while he is playing a game of Angry Birds.

The request is perfectly legitimate. Just because any given person doesn't see the need for something like this doesn't mean there is no legitimate need for it.

As an example, I could care less about the stocks app, which has been with the phone since the very beginning. Would be pretty ignorant of me to say that it is a useless app just because I don't currently see a need for it...

----------

Person: Playing with angry birds text pop up smack dab in the middle/top of screen.
    You: Damn! My plan was foiled!

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yah, I caught it. Hence the :rolleyes:

:D

25. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

if Apple didn't add a feature, then you don't need it. that's how it works around here..

i see that you're new, you'll learn that the level of maturity here is extremely low.

as for your post, i agree with you. i would like to lock my text messages, too. i have a feeling that a lot of these posters don't interact with the outside world, so why would they need it?? :eek: