Password Managers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tech198, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all..

I was thinking of going though all my websites that I use and generating random passwords for each (finally !). But then the question is were to store these, so they would be always, but securely still be accessible in any location.

I thought of dumping all random passwords (alpha-numeric & symbols) based password and or usernames in Text file with TextEdit, and save this to USB flash i carry round with me... The problem would be, every time i needed a pass., i''d have to connect USB constantly, or leave it in Mac... so thats out...

I then thought of using msecure on Iphone or Ipad to store passwords..

The problem, then comes from the fact since they will be 20 characters at a minimum, I'd want to copy & paste in website i need access to... However, I understand for security reasons, I dunno weather this/or would always be possible. Its just it would lock even me out, until i entered correct pass.

Has anyone used mSecure, or should I go for LassPass?

2. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I haven't used those programs, but 1Password will do what you want in terms of generating passwords and copying/pasting on websites. If you want your passwords on both your iPhone and iPad then go with 1Password Pro rather than the individual iPhone and iPad apps. You can keep your passwords synced betweeen your Mac and iDevices using Dropbox.

3. Tony2255 macrumors newbie

Datavault is the beat one i have come across to date and will work for you too.

4. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

Agreed.

5. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

The problem becomes implementation when you need to retrieve a log-in and password. I've found nothing that isn't completely and ridiculously cumbersome on a touch screen device.

I've used http://www.keepass.info/ for years and it's fantastic, but even it's OS version is more trouble than it's worth.

7. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Not sure I fully understand your problem. I use Strip and simply copy and paste. Usually, though, look them up on my phone and input on my iPad when I am at home.

8. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

Its the nature of what iOS allows, you have to go into the password manager, usually use your master pass to unlock, then copy, swipe back to the app or website, and paste.

As opposed to on OSX, where 1password is an extension in safari where you just click and autofill not only passwords but credit cards, etc.

I still recommend 1password both on mac and idevice

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Security with a text file (i.e. none) would also be a problem.

Also, don't overlook the security concerns around your password retrieval questions and such.

10. mactumors macrumors 6502

LastPass

https://lastpass.com/ is a nice cross-platform option. $12/yr for the premium service which gives you iOS access.

11. Horseface123 macrumors newbie

Another vote for Last Pass. Really great cross platform service. Nice browser integration. Decent iOS app

12. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Got it. Really. Installed and set it up yesterday on all devices. Love how it works on OSX. iOS is acceptable.

13. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

At least synching between the mac and the iOS device works really easy and well.

I suspect that at some point, iOS 6/7/8 will replicate these 1password features and, since it comes from apple, find a way to integrate the websites on the iOS device.

Like a lot of times when Apple nukes a developer by "you made a feature, not a product" attitude and then integrates it, I expect to prefer 1password minus the iOS website functionality

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Lastpass user here and I highly recommend it. Integrates into iOS Safari or use one tap copy.