Password protection for Mail on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jprint714, Dec 15, 2011.

1. jprint714 macrumors member

Just wondering if there's any kind of app out there that password protects Mail on the iPhone?

I'd welcome any ideas - even outside of using a 3rd part app - for added security for Mail (on the iPhone).

Thanks!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Are you talking about an App to work with the built in Mail.app for added protection, or a separate app that can handle your email securely?

3. jprint714 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm...good question. Well, I suppose I'm looking for something that will first add another password protection for accessing Mail (if such an app exists), but I'm certainly interested in other recommendable email security apps... Thanks!

4. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

This exact same subject is being discussed re text messages.

And I'll say the same exact thing -- why would you need to password protect your email, and not the WHOLE phone?

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

On email if using imap, will the iPhone let you remove the password from the account settings? That way you'd have to log in every time you checked email.

I'd try it but I make a point of not letting anyone who can't read my emails handle my phone, so for me it would be pointless.... :cool:

6. jprint714 thread starter macrumors member

I do password protect the whole phone. I want supplemental protection for email.

7. HPLouis macrumors regular

Is your phone jailbroken? If it is, there's Locktopuss and iProtect.

Henry

8. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

The answer is that there is nothing that allows a particular built-in area (texts, emails, address book, etc) of your non-jailbroken phone to be separately pass coded. The only option I am aware of is to have a pass code on the entire phone.
    And I can see a number of situations where this would be helpful. For example, there are times when my kids want to use my phone because theirs isn't charged, etc. Sure, I can say NO. But I'd rather just feel like I can hand them the phone and not worry about the GF sending me a personal text. It's just that simple.
    It's a feature request that I hope eventually makes it into IOS.