Pastor has sex with own daughters

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by .Andy, Aug 30, 2007.

1. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Emphasis mine. From here

Just to show that we're not completely devoid of idiocy in Australia. I'm interested what his christian denomination he is, why his name can't be released, and what bible passages he offered in his defense....

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'd guess it's to protect his daughters' identities.

3. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

Of course. Thanks Jaffa :).

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

FOUR YEARS?!

How f***ing typical. :rolleyes: :mad:

I love how rapists and child molesters get a few years and some person selling a tiny bit of weed often gets 10+. That's fairness in the justice system for you. Real clever. :rolleyes:

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm absolutely delighted that the church remained supportive of this piece of human sh**.

6. Queso macrumors G4

But as I posted in that other thread, a person of faith can't be a real child sex offender like those nasty other ones. This man obviously just needs the Lord's guidance :rolleyes:

7. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

He needs a good f-in kicking.

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Yes, perhaps if the Lord had given him the same guidance that he was giving to his daughters everything would have been OK.

I honestly feel a little bit sorry sometimes for those who follow religion 'in good faith', as so to speak, only to have it used by others as an excuse for their wrongdoings or extremist fanaticism. As for "the church remained supportive", I hope that, in reality, the church is horrified and disapproving but is remaining supportive of the man and his family purely because they all obviously need help and support. The article is lacking some form of comment from the church.

9. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Immoral behavior happens in any "group" of people, I don't think it matters what denomination he belonged to and he probably would have done it regardless IMO... I'm sure he didn't use a Biblically based defense since there isn't one. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Lot and his daughters, but it was the other way around...

10. Queso macrumors G4

You're quite right that completely heinous behaviour happens in every demographic, but the problem here appears to be that anyone who is involved with a church organisation seems to be getting lesser punishments for the same crimes. This man repeatedly committed statutory rape of two girls in his care over a period of years, yet because his church says it is supportive he will probably be back in society in two years. The christian thing about forgiveness is all well and good with regards to his friends, but the law should be applied universally.

11. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I've never heard of the support from a church helping in a defense such as this. Is it documented? Just curious because I hope he is put away for an incredibly long period of time. Even with the support of a church, you really think he'll only get 2 years? At least he won't ever be able to see his daughters again...

12. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I don't think they mean supportive as in the church supported his case but rather that the church is helping him to repent for his sins ad such.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know, that's how I read it too, but the church should disown him, not support him.

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Let's not get into the "should" matters of the church, we'll be hammering that out for decades. ;)

15. Queso macrumors G4

Sorry, I misread the article and thought he'd been sentenced to four years. I see now he's actually more likely to serve four. Still too low IMO, but I stand corrected.

On the sentencing front, the Jesus Defence is often invoked (sometimes cynically) to sway a judge, something I view as nothing more than uttering a belated "I'm sorry" once they're caught bang to rights. The fact remains that the crime was still committed and there are still victims, so the punishment should remain the same. If the defendant were that "moral" in the first place nobody would be in that courtroom.
    Whether he repents or not, chances are he will do this again. Pedophiles don't stop acting on their impulses because they know something is wrong. He'll probably just find other ways to justify it to himself.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The strange thing is that if this was a one time offense, where a man raped a young girl once, the person who committed the crime would have likely gotten a harsher sentence.

Repeat offenders don't get the punishment they deserve. Anyone who gets raped is going to be screwed up for life, and the punishment for such a crime is 4 years per girl?

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

The kind of church that would employ this kind of guy as pastor is the kind of church that would remain supportive of him after he was caught.

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Well I hope that he is as understanding that his cellmates aren't so much fulfilling their desires with him for the next 8 years as they are teaching him how to behave for his cellmates to make the time pass.

19. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Once a con always a con!

I heard that on Prison Break.

20. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yes it should. In fact, I think he should get a stiffer sentence because he was in a position of authority not only as a father, but as a pastor. Because of his position as their evangelical leader he may very well have had his daughters believing that they had to have sex with him to keep in good standing with God. This sort of emotional and mental manipulation further aggravates his crime and should have merited a longer prison term. Although, no matter how many lifetimes he rots in prison, nothing can take away the emotional, mental and physical trauma that those poor little girls had to endure. My prayers are with them and I hope they are able to deal with this and eventually live normal lives.

21. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

There is a difference between "defend" (which I don't think anyone can do) and "support" (which, no matter the situation, Christians should be willing to dispense). Christians try to be supportive of others in times of great strife or trying. Love the sinner, hate the sin.

22. aquajet macrumors 68020

Because that's what Jesus would do.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I hate it when I agree with you, swarmlord or obeygiant- but I have to here.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There has to be a line that divides the sinners from the true human pieces of sh*t. I don't care what a book says, there's just a point, that this guy is far past, where one doesn't deserve "love" anymore.

Just one of my main gripes about christianity...no matter what you've done, who you've hurt, how many you've hurt, how many lives you ended prematurely, no matter how much of a sinner you are, you can be loved and saved, and yet someone who's donated millions to charity, wouldn't harm a fly, was a huge asset to society and whose only brush with the law is a speeding ticket is doomed to spend eternity in hell because they believed in the wrong god or no god at all.

25. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I feel damn sorry for them. They usually fall into one of three groups; those who can be intimidated (daughters), those who are sheep for the wolf and those who want to 'belong' anywhere who will have them.

The wolves of this world (apology to real wolves) are always looking for sheep. Both exist and the carnage is often a foregone conclusion. Confidence men can spot sheep a mile away. Many of the evangelical ministers are just confidence men, in my opinion.

I often waste a considerable amount of my neuro-receptors, wondering how to maintain religious freedom, but prevent the Jim Jones from predating their flock (which may also be their family). I remember a mormon family in Utah, which was still practicing polygamy. An Uncle had just bequeathed an eight year-old daughter to is brother. The mormon dominated state did not file charges! In fact, I do not think they have prosecuted a single case of polygamy.

And so it goes.