Pat Buchanan defends white supremacy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Disgusting.

Most of Trump’s hard core supporters were/are Buchanan supporters. They never really went away and found a home in Donald J. Trump. What’s curious though is in 1999/2000 Trump had awful things to say about Buchanan. Now he’s basically embracing everything Buchanan stands for.

2. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Don’t play dumb.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Pat is a worthless idiot,,,,,,,,,, hence the "who"? comment.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Here’s what Buchanan had to say about Hitler:

This matters because people who supported him helped put Donald Trump in office.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

"all are treated equally"

No. We don't treat Nazis as equals.

6. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

No surprise here....

7. kobalap macrumors 6502

So is Hillary but you were fixated on her for months on end.

8. TheAppleFairy, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017

TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

...but Democrats are okay with KKK members in their party.

EDIT: I know there is a double standard and excuses will be made. Just here making my point.

[​IMG]

9. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Trump's record shows that he is on both sides of most issues. Prior to the election, he said very favorable things about Hillary.

10. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Usually when conservatives bring up Byrd, it's quite evident how ignorant they are about him. Not sure why anyone would want to display their ignorance on the subject...

Byrd was a member of the KKK in his younger years, but he left the organization in the 1940s. Byrd later called joining the KKK "the greatest mistake I ever made." In 1997, he told an interviewer he would encourage young people to become involved in politics but also warned, "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena." In his last autobiography, Byrd explained that he was a KKK member because he "was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision—a jejune and immature outlook—seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions." Byrd also said in 2005, "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened." Source.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Engaging in whataboutism today are we? No the Democrats are not OK with Byrd having been in the Klan. They're ok with his having renounced it though, and going on to become the senate's historian for sure.

He did renounce the Klan if you ever bothered to read past the fawning clips of those who liked keeping Byrd in that box or merely liked using past KKK membership as a weapon. He consistently warned would-be politicians that the Klan's attractions were not the stuff of mainstream America. He didn't try to erase his past. He did try to atone for it.

From the wikipedia for lack of a faster way to post this and get to my darn late lunch

Byrd later called joining the KKK "the greatest mistake I ever made."[20] In 1997, he told an interviewer he would encourage young people to become involved in politics but also warned, "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena."[21] In his last autobiography, Byrd explained that he was a KKK member because he "was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision—a jejune and immature outlook—seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions."[22] Byrd also said in 2005, "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."[11]
    EDIT: and I see @localoid beat me to it.. I ain't takin' this down though, i'm annoyed enough at the necessity of having to post it to begin with that I'm leaving it up.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Point failed.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Pat Buchanan? Racism has been his brand for years.

No surprise at all.

14. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

The timeline just doesn't fit. He filibustered the civil rights act in 1964. So still a racist in the 60's (as a democrat), and died a democrat a couple of years ago. At what point was he no longer a racist? In the 90's? He's the perfect example of the false "party switching" lie.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 18, 2017 ---

Right because excuses are made for him he has a (D) next to his name.

So read my reply to locoloid...I know excuses are made for him and you accept Byrds lip service when it's clearly BS.

15. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Of course it doesn't "fit" in your mind. I'll leave you alone to wallow in your ignorance, because that's where you seem the happiest.

16. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

So you can't answer the question because I am right. The fact he was elected in the 50's ....filibustered civil rights in the 60's doesn't bother you....at what point was he no longer racist?

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Please read a book, or ask a librarian for help, and educate yourself before displaying your ignorance on the subject.

18. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

worst deflection ever.

So Byrd isn't a racist because he said he isn't. This is why it's hard to have an honest conversation with a liberal.

19. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

His face looks like it's going to melt off when he talks.

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Lame example coming up, forgive me.

I was born and raised a Christian. Went to church… Sunday school… Confirmation… the whole shebang.

However I am quite unable to tell you exactly when I became the confirmed Atheist I am today.
    Probably happened somewhere in the very early 80s.

People change. As we turn older we evolve.
    Hell, look at Trump. He might always have been an asshat, but his public politics were not always this looney fringe.

Sometimes we even ask forgiveness and pardon for our previous evil thoughts.

Or are you set in marble since… birth?

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Sure there have been racist in both parties over the years, but that is not where we are now, here...today in present day America. No amount of deflection or whataboutism from you will change that.
    Yes, your deflection is just about the worst ever. :D

22. samcraig macrumors P6

23. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

You forgot one very important statement about the southern, racist Democrats. When their supporters left the Democratic Party because of the civil rights movement, who do you think they started voting for?

Hint, it wasn't for the Democratic Party anymore. Parties change. The Republican Party used to be the tent party that fought for civil rights. What happened?

Edit: oh auto correct how I hate thee.

24. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

People change. Grow up and accept that. Educate yourself on the subject somewhere other than StormFront and then we'll talk.

I not going to waste my time with your baseless concerns because there are no reasonably minded people that consider Byrd a racist, and that group of people includes numerous black people, Jews and other minorities.