Pat Robertson Admits He Blew The Election Prediction He Got From God

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SilentPanda, Nov 24, 2012.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://www.alternet.org/pat-robertson-admits-he-blew-election-prediction-he-got-god

I recognize that he is not all Christians but he is a well enough known one to have influence. It's unfortunate that his mishearing can only be extended to visible proof. I doubt he'll realize the other things he may have misheard.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

From all the Pat Robertson threads started around here, you'd think he has more influence on the non-religious.

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I question whether Pat Robertson even believes what he himself says. Especially since he used to be a faith healer; A "profession" in which you pretty much have to be a con artist to be any good at.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm a Christian but this is the first I've heard of Pat Robertson. I don't go to churches since many times they spew hatred and vitriol with a candy coating. I read my Bible, say my prayers, and ignore silly televangelists who like to mix the old testament and new testament to justify their prejudices.

This guy sounds like a potential whack job.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Pat is emblematic of the problem with humans and religion, who claim to know God, his rules, demands, rewards, punishments, and its post death plans for us, and on a more basic level its existence as we imagine it to be. There is nothing concrete to go on, yet we as a species have managed to create scenarios describing elaborate divine structures, standards and guidance, complicated by self appointed human mouth pieces that demand compliance or eternal damnation. Except the guidance only really appears in our wishful minds, nothing more. One thing that can be said for humans, we have big imaginations.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

And the ancient humans who originally wrote the bible and similar stories had plenty of access to weed and shrooms too. :D

7. chown33 macrumors 604

Suppose Pat Robertson is correct, and God really does tell him things that will happen. There's still a logical conundrum.

If Pat doesn't always hear God clearly and sometimes relays messages incorrectly, then how is everyone else, who have no way to fact-check his statements, able to distinguish a correctly relayed message from God vs. one that Pat has somehow bungled? On a purely logical and technical level: when confronted with an unreliable communication channel, how does one achieve reliable communication?

Or phrased another way, how is unreliable communication from God significantly different from having no communication from God? Seriously, if you can't tell the correct statements from the incorrect ones, well, "Blessed are the cheesemakers...".

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Someone once told me, many years ago, that you can discern a "true prophet" (one who has a direct line to god) because they are correct and accurate 100% of the time. Which is sort of problematic if the result of a foretelling that might be the error indicator has yet to happen or may happen at some indeterminate time in the future ("Mt. Shasta is going to explode"). So, Mr. Pat, you need to try a different line of work (or just continue to make a dishonest buck).

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Alas, he has no other apparent skills. :(

10. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

ha, I've never heard of him before and don't think I will ever again. Thought he was that vampire guy though.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I wonder which of these he didn't understand or convey clearly.

12. SilentPanda, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Exactly. It's unfortunate that many of the people that hang on his every word will just go "Oh well he heard wrong from God this time... but all that other stuff that has no tangible proof, I'm sure Pat heard that right." This is the frustrating piece of it all.

I believe that comes from, of all places, the Bible. Jeremiah 28:9

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Believers want to believe, and will turn themselves inside out in order to do so.

They have a need that cannot be easily satisfied with Science.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

As I recall, it is related to the "stockholm effect". Submissive people in an abusive situation will often cling to and defend their abuser, not strictly because of fear, rather in a subconscious effort to please them that perhaps the abuse will be less brutal next time. Or they could just be mentally lazy or averse to thinking. Or masochists.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

While I am agnostic, I do want there to be an afterlife. The key word is "want", not "believe". Why do I want this? Because the continuation of consciousness is a very desirable thing. It gives purpose to life and hope for a coherent future, the epitome of a happy ending, or continuation if you prefer. Why? Bottom line, it comforts me. If I view my life and observe what takes place around the globe, there is absolutely no indication if there is a God, (as we think of God), that religious leaders have the direct pipeline to the divine who passes along secret messages of hope, tells us the outcome of horse races, or tells us which decision to make. We are on Earth. It's all about us, what we discover and decide, not what we are told to do. If there is a God, he has failed, if the goal is clear communication and a desire for humans to realize he is up there, and more importantly why he is there.

Once the dimension of an eternal afterlife or heaven is inserted into the equation, does it matter one hoot what happens on Earth? If there is a purpose in this life, it is to experience obstacles and learn from them. Of course it would help if there is an afterlife to carry forward lessons learned. If you are the religious type or not, forget about punishment based religion. My advice is to live as good a life as you can, and in the end, you'll be covered. :)

I did not think about that. :)

I prefer the term "imagined communication". :) Pat is the bad used car salesman. He took a book written by ancient superstitious humans, and turned into his truth, like most religions have done.

The big parent in the sky who is going to take care of us for eternity. What a rush! :)

A human notion. If there is a God as we imagine him to be, it does not give answers. Of course, then, it is not as many of us imagine it to be. ;) If anything, we are supposed to discover the answers.

If this is not considered derailing the thread- There area a lot of Atheists in the MacRumors crowd. This seems like a good time to ask, what do you think is the purpose of life if any? Is there a philosophy that gives comfort to the Atheist mindset?

I disagree with this. God, if there is one (sorry but I have to say this every time :)) does not abuse us. We as a species are scared to death of death. Many of use are in love with the notion that in the end, on the verge of physical death, that it's not all over and everything is going to be ok.

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Can't his God wait to punish them after they die? Eternal damnation isn't enough?

17. chown33 macrumors 604

"Pour encourager les autres."

18. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Oh, right . . . terrorism fear tactics.