Pat Robertson wants you to smoke pot legally

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tktaylor1, Mar 8, 2012.

1. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Maybe knows someone who takes it and so is soft on the issue, who knows what the real reason behind his enlightenment/stance is.

Either way, even though he a total nutjob - he could soften a few more nutjobs on the issue who take him seriously. Bonus.

Alcohol statistics are notoriously ugly (crime/disease/death/addiction etc) yet pot is demonised. It isn't right..

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Surely only true believers should be allowed?

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Well, hey, I'm glad some people are waking up to this fact.

5. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Well I do live in California......

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It should be. I'm not a huge believer in smoking pot (it's boring and counter-productive, IMO), but hemp needs to be legal. I have been an advocate for hemp for a very long time. It's sustainable, healthy to eat and we can make so many things with it very cheaply. It's silly to make a plant illegal.

I've talked about this before, but I eat industrial hemp seeds on a daily basis. There is no THC, but the nutritional value is unreal.

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/03/hemp-seed-nutritional-value-and-thoughts.html

It's time we stopped waging a war on a plant because some variations get people stoned. And if people want to smoke it, so what? It's a lot less harmful than alcohol.

In this day and age, we can no longer afford to view something this beneficial and inexpensive as something bad.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wrong- see my post above.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

YMMV. There have been a few times that I smoked a bit before doing some lengthy task (usually physical labor) and found myself so focused on what I was doing I got it done in record time, so "counter-productive" is not necessarily the case.

As I recall, the great arch-conservative William F. Buckley was in favor of legalization for exactly the same reason as Robertson. Morality without pragmatism is what is counter-productive.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

We have had legal use of pot since 1968.

I remember when this same Pat Robertson said that the Netherlands was a place of sin, because of our stand on abortion and drugs.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Oh sure, rub it in our face why don't you? :p;)

13. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well it should be legal, obviously. Nobody has the right to determine what I may ingest, purchase, etc....

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Or who you marry, or what you and your doctor decide is best for you, or whether you are allowed to take the pill, or smoke some pot, or carry a baby to term, or many, many other things.

Welcome eric/, being a liberal is refreshing isn't it.

15. eric/ Guest

eric/

I've always been liberal. :confused:

16. puma1552 macrumors 601

You know a good reason not to legalize it? Because it smells like absolute ****, and if you are in an apartment building and someone is lighting up inside their own apartment, the smell can actually fill the public space hallway, and actually enter other peoples' apartments, who shouldn't have to be subjected to someone else's terrible smelling pot in their own home.

If it were legal, there would be nothing that could be done about it.

17. eric/ Guest

eric/

wrong

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

There are such things as "public nuisance laws". For instance, driving an automobile is usually legal, but if you do it badly enough, annoyingly enough, dangerously enough, you can lose the right to drive. Just because it might become legal to smoke weed, that does not also require carte blanche, it just means there will be many fewer people in prison for it.

19. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I cannot believe people still consider Cannabis a narcotic ... legalize it already :cool:

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

That is quite possibly the worst argument against legalization I've ever heard.

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I didn't say that it shouldn't be legalized in some circumstances. I do say that pragmatically, one normally should stay away from it. Particularly young people, for whom it carries significant risk (as opposed to, say, older, emaciated AIDS and cancer patients).

Some light reading:

[Cannabis and psychosis: search of a causal link through a critical and systematic review]. Le Bec PY, Fatséas M, Denis C, Lavie E, Auriacombe M. Encephale. 2009 Sep;35(4):377-85. Epub 2008 Jul 9.

Cannabis use in adolescence and risk for adult psychosis: longitudinal prospective study. BMJ 2002; 325 doi: 10.1136/bmj.325.7374.1212 Cite: BMJ 2002;325:1212. Arseneault, Cannon, Poulton, Murray, Caspi, Moffitt.

Cannabis use and childhood trauma interact additively to increase the risk of psychotic symptoms in adolescence. M. Harley, I. Kelleher, M. Clarke, F. Lynch, L. Arseneault, D. Connor, C. Fitzpatrick and M. Cannon. Psychological Medicine (2010), 40 : pp 1627-1634. DOI: 10.1017/S0033291709991966.

22. citizenzen Suspended

Aren't you the same guy who said this about fireplace/wood stove smoke ...

So, if we legalized pot, wouldn't that be your same response to people bothered by the smell of marijuana smoke?

If not, why not? Please explain.

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wow he almost got away with that.....

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

And cigarette smoke doesn't?

Fail.

25. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Yeah, good luck finding an apartment complex that would allow tobacco smoke let alone weed anyways. I think it would be a non-issue in most areas. If he moved into a smoking tolerant complex... sounds like his issue, no?