Pathetic 3G speeds on Sprint. Anything I can do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Norkusa, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Norkusa macrumors member

Norkusa

Got a 4S with Sprint on launch day and it's my first cell phone in 10+ years The first thing I noticed after setting it up was how incredibly slow 3G speeds were. At home I usually get .50 Mpbs but outside the house it's usually .10 - .20. I'm in a decent coverage area too (3-4 bars). Loading web pages takes around 30-60 seconds (if they load at all) and half the time I can't even connect to Siri when I try using it.

I've heard a lot of stories since the 4S launch about how slow Sprint speeds were. Don't hear many people complain about being *this* bad though. Is my situation similar to other 4S Sprint users? Anything I can do about it? I'm at the point where I don't even bother using the phone for anything other than calls & text because the service is so terrible.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I don't have this problem in my area, but they are supposed to be working on a fix!

3. Norkusa thread starter macrumors member

Norkusa

Yeah, I heard that too. Sometime in early 2012 I think?

Would calling Sprint to complain do anything? Like a discount on my bill?

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It's hard to say with Sprint, but calling won't hurt!

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I had that problem too. I chatted online with them, they did some stuff, and my speeds have been drastically improved since then. Worth a shot.

6. Norkusa thread starter macrumors member

Norkusa

Great, so there's hope then. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

8. Norkusa thread starter macrumors member

Norkusa

West Michigan, 49505. On the pone with Sprint tech support right now. They said something about refreshing/resetting the phone, so I guess I'll see if that works.

9. Jay0911 macrumors newbie

I've been getting way better results since I updated to 5.0.1beta 2. I did notice the carrier info changed to Sprint 11.3.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm still on 5.0, but the tech said they were working on an update. I've taken it with a grain of salt and will believe it when I see it. I have been getting better data speeds though.

11. Norkusa thread starter macrumors member

Norkusa

Well they did a refresh & service update of my phone and it did nothing. All they basically said is that they don't see any problems in my area or with my phone. Said if I'm still experiencing the same problems tomorrow (lol) to call back. I asked if they had any complaints like mine from other 4S users and she said I was the first one she heard of. :rolleyes:

I told them I'll be ending my contract if nothing else can be done. 2 more years of service like this is unacceptable:

[​IMG]

12. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Two things I've read on Sprint forums.

One. They are working with Apple to address the problem. They believe the issue is in the software somewhere.

Two. Sprint is going through it's ATT growing pains. As I understand it, Sprint took some gambles with pushing back network upgrades (adding capacity to service more customers, refreshing hardware), in favor of other things like WiMax, and the recent growth in data customers fueled by android super phones and more recently the iPhone, has Sprint really trying to play catch up. A few years ago in my area I could easily get a 1mbs consistently. Now I am glad to see it north of the 500kbs mark. Like ATT when they were in the same position, Sprintmisnsaying that they are now rolling out their network upgrades.