Pathetic support

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by techguy15, Jun 5, 2018.

1. techguy15 Suspended

I'm glad I didn't sign up and pay $99 to be a developer now that my Mac won't be supported for Mojave. Based on this I wouldn't buy another Mac again. Period.
    How can you have 7 year old laptops dropped? It literally makes no sense that I can run high sierra and now I can't run Mojave. I was going to fully invest in the Apple ecosystem based on how I was enjoying my MacBook and I assumed that it would be supported for at least another few years seeing that it's fully capable spec wise. Now I wouldn't touch another Apple product. I came from a PC, chose a Mac and now I'll be headed back to Windows and Linux where devices are supported. I'm afraid to get an iPhone SE. would it be dropped after ios 12? Wouldn't doubt it

2. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

A developer would probably invest in a later Macbook.

As for your 7 year old one ... so far, there really isn't a huge amount of difference that I can see in 10.14 over 10.13 so you're not missing that much.

I have a 6 year old iPad mini stuck on iOS9. Now that's like looking back in time.

3. eric89074 macrumors regular

High Sierra will be fully supported by Apple for another two years. Most software developers will support it for another 3-4.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It makes perfect sense, Mojave’s minimum specs require Metal support (for good reason). Your SEVEN year old laptop doesn’t have the hardware, it’s that simple.

As for the Windows world, care to point out what OEM is supporting a machine seven years after purchase? Note that being able to run an old version of Windows in no way constitutes “support”.

5. techguy15 thread starter Suspended

Not being able to run an old version of Windows in no way constitutes support?

I don't buy that.

How come I can run Windows 10 on an older computer from 2009-2010? Windows provides YEARS of support. I say that not even liking Windows necessarily. And what's this stupid "metal" thing that concerns whether my 2011 Mac gets supported or not? Sounds irrelevant to me.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2018 ---
    So you're saying xcode will still be able to run on it? I won't need Mohave to run the latest xcode versions?

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You wanted to be a developer and you don’t even know the basics of the OS? Metal is their graphics system.

Again, RUNNING Windows doesn’t mean your LAPTOP is supported. If you run into an issue who in the world are you going to call for support? The OEM is either going to laugh at you for asking for support so outside of warranty or MS is going to refer you right back to that OEM.

7. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

What's with this sudden resurgence of whining from folk expecting their old devices to still work with all the latest operating systems?

True story: I just fired up my 2012 Droid Incredible. Rather unsurprisingly Google no longer allow it to connect to my Gmail account. Think I need to hop on over to the first Android forum I can find and complain incessantly how Google don't care about supporting users with old hardware... :rolleyes:

8. 0007776 Suspended

It seems to happen every time Apple drops support for older computers. 7 years is a pretty reasonable amount of time to support hardware, and I doubt that it would have run very well if Apple had decided to put in the effort to make it keep working on older hardware.

9. meme1255 macrumors 6502a

You mean something like.. Magically updating the GPUs so they suddenly support Metal 2?

10. 0007776 Suspended

I'm sure they could have made modifications to make things work without Metal 2, but as I mentioned it likely would not have run very well as a result of all of the compromises that would have to be made.

11. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

This. My El Cap 10+ yo Macbook is still getting security updates (and yes, I know will stop once Mojave is released).

And if OP read the release notes, Xcode 10 will run on 10.13.4 or higher, so, can get at least another year of supported code development tools.

12. techguy15 thread starter Suspended

Completely different scenario

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Can you elaborate on the differences?

14. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I think 7 years is a long time for a laptop. The hardware could only do so much.

My Mac Pro 1,1 got a lot less time than your laptop, and HW wise, it can more than handle many updates past what Apple supported.

15. techguy15 thread starter Suspended

That's a little comforting. My background story is I invested time and money (online course) into being a developer. I'm a complete newbie having only purchased my Mac a few weeks ago. So I have a right to be a little upset. I came from a Windows machine. A Dell Latitude. It ran Windows 10 fine but it had multiple issues. I saw an opportunity to get into iOS development and obviously needed a Mac. I don't have $1500 available so I went with what I could afford which is a 2011 MBP. It's got 16gb ram and 1tb HDD. I figured it was a solid machine and would last at least a year or two for my needs. Now the fact I have to get a newer machine in a year does make me a little upset, not necessarily a complainer

16. meme1255 macrumors 6502a

If you are a full time developer, you should be able to buy a new Mac.

17. techguy15 thread starter Suspended

Phones and computers are very different in terms of software, specs and capabilities. If we're talking phones I also think it's BS of Google that they only provide three years of support for their Pixel line whereas Apple is supporting the dang 5S from 2013...5 years old! I commend that!

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If you want that machine to FLY compared to now the first thing I’d do is swap that 1TB for an SSD. That will give the machine some new legs.

19. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

Are you seriously whining that 10.14 won't support your seven year old MacBook? Wow...

Alright then, bye bye. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

20. techguy15 thread starter Suspended

Again, I'm a newbie. I'm just barely getting into learning about variables etc. I'm nowhere near employable either full time or part time. I'm in process of taking a course online. A newbie mechanic starting out learning about cars doesn't buy a 2018 Ferrari to learn the beginnings of car mechanics. They buy an older model to start with and work their way up. I can work my way up with Mac but now I don't know if next year they're gonna cut off the next model of Mac I plan on buying. It's practically a guessing game. And a very expensive one at that

21. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

I agree it's disappointing as the 2011 Macs are still very solid performers, especially with an SSD. As a developer, it's more important you can run the latest version of Xcode than the latest version of MacOS, but Apple doesn't have your back there either; Xcode support for older MacOS versions typically doesn't even last six months!

22. techguy15 thread starter Suspended

I see seven year old devices running the latest version of software. Again I don't see why they can't support a seven year old Mac. It's not old. And I didn't let any door hit me on my way out. They have automatic doors with censors in my apartment so thankfully they stay open when I enter or exit ;)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2018 ---
    Agreed. I'm trying to just get the hang of xcode and all its functions and stuff. That's one thing. Now I have to deal with possibly getting an entire new machine that supports it year after year. At some point it's gotta stop. It's like having to upgrade phones year after year. Shouldn't have to do that.

23. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

No, it's not. Tech is tech is tech. Once you get past the 5 year mark you get to be on borrowed time. If you make it to 10 then it's a minor miracle.

You brought a device from 2011 and you really think Apple should keep supporting it because it's new to you?

SMH.

That 2011 will continue to run High Sierra for a good while yet. There's plenty of folk still on Yosemite etc. Stop being so disgruntled. You should have though more about this before purchasing it and done the analysis of price vs support.

24. techguy15 thread starter Suspended

I'd write a longer reply to you but I am literally headed to Apple now to buy the latest MacBook so I'm no longer obsolete or old. Gotta stay up to date you know. Thanks.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I kind of get your point based on you being a newbie, it should be pointed out however there is nothing about support for a given age of machine that is going to effect your learning of the fundamentals. Even if you don’t get an updated Xcode you’ll still be able to use he machine for your stated goals for years without issue (assuming no hardware failures).

26. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

And there's your problem. Your 2011 is perfectly serviceable and is a terrific little starter that would have kept you going long into 2019. So, what do you do? You go off on a tear, and buy a new Macbook that you could have saved several hundred dollars off if you'd have just waited for the new models to be released later this year.

Mind...blown...